2013 Mazda5 turbocharger installation

I can check tomorrow if they changed the hubs on the 2nd gen 5 but I know the old mz3 hubs worked which means the old mz5 would work. I'll check to see what some of the speed 3/6 guys like running clutch wise. I think the mazdaspeed forum might be a good source of interesting reading on that subject as well. By the way, I applaud you for all the work you're doing and sharing it with the rest of us. Very impressive.

Ok, existing hubs will work, no worries there. According to the local Speed owners the OE ms3 clutch is good up to 300 hp or so. They recommend the Fidanza lightweight flywheel. According to my sourcing your existing throw out bearing and pilot should work but your existing slave cylinder will not. Following is a list of OE clutch components and MSRP.

Clutch disc: L304-16-460C $164.51
Press Plate: L304-16-410C $220.76
Slave Cylinder: B37F-41-920B $126.58
Flywheel: L304-16-610E $1217.09 !!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME. Thanks a lot for that research, that is very helpful. I asked around on my boosted mz3 FB group regarding clutches and flywheels, and based on some feedback I'm leaning towards an OEM ms3 clutch/pressure plate, and a lightweight aftermarket flywheel (Fidanza being the apparent default source).

I'm off to check my pricing through mazdamotorsports...

obviously clutch is a great upgrade, but FYI you won't make enough power to get the stock 2.5L clutch to slip. just incase anyone was wondering. stock 2.5L clutch held up on my car 330whp for over a year.

. So you say the ms3-trans-into-mz3 is reportedly a PITA? I would really like to know what you have heard about the difficulties.

Yes but that was 1st gen guys trying to upgrade from 5 speed to the 6 speed. Shifter, cables, speed sensor issues, etc... Pretty much everything was different.

Since the 2012+ has the 6-speed already I am hoping you have no issues. Maybe Mazda shared some stuff between them like the shifter, cables, sensors and other bits. You'll be limited to just needing the better clutch/flywheel, possibly axles and a motor mount the bolt it in.

Maybe do an online parts search for OEM part numbers. See if the shifter cables and shifter between the regular Mazda3 with the 6-speed manual and the Mazdaspeed 3 are the same part for the 2010+ cars or different. If they are it's a good bed you don't need to mess with yours either.

-edit- Well I just took a look at a 2013 Mazda3, Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda5 and it looks like they all use the exact same shifter and cable assembly for manual trans cars. Looks like you might be in for a treat with regard to that part.

Last edited:
ms3 trans has arrived. I was at the freight company at 6:00am sharp when they opened, and I had the energy to lift the trans into the car by myself in the morning. At home, at night, after a stressful workday - no so much. Had to wheel the hoist over to get it out.

lyHbAKn.jpg

Unfortunately the drive of this vehicle is enjoying his 300hp turbocharged mazda5 and will no longer post on this website. Actually i dont know just want to get this thread to the top! Bump!!!!!!!!

Back