2013+ GPS traffic information is surprisingly accurate !

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
Hi guys,

I don't usually use my GPS much unless I'm lost but yesterday I was stuck in traffic and needed help from the GPS so I switched to GPS mode and I was really surprised that the traffic info was pretty accurate !

Where ever there was traffic it showed up on the screen, pretty cool, now I'll know beforehand on my drive home after work where there is traffic so I can exit and take local roads and not get stuck in traffic.

I guess I just never used it before on my daily drive but I'm going to use it from now on just for the traffic info ! just sharing this with fellow members,

also, does anyone know where the traffic info is coming from ? is it thru the FM signal or via phone's Google maps ?
because the info is pretty much dead on, where ever there was traffic, it showed up on the screen

how do you turn on traffic mode?

I believe it's always on, just go to view map and you're set.

I didn't turn on any traffic mode. I just happened to notice it yesterday, stuck in traffic. When I hit the NAV button, the map display came up and I saw the indication for traffic ahead :

if there is traffic ahead the road will show up as a different color with tiny slow moving red arrows indicating traffic ahead.

It's very cool, also when you input a destination it will also account for any traffic along the route and ask if you want to use a different route without traffic.

I have a 2013 with the OEM TomTom nav so not sure if any previous CX-9 years will have it though.

I can do the same thing with my Google maps on my phone but sometimes I'm too lazy to be bothered with taking it out then opening the app then dangle it on the windshield.

The GPS traffic thing is a nice convenience to have but not absolutely necessary, just giving fellow members a heads up in case they weren't aware of it, like myself, I've had the car for two years and never realized it! LOL it's pretty impressive, it picked up all the traffic, I think it also matters where you are though, I live in a big metro area with tons of traffic info updated regularly, whereas rural areas with limited traffic info, i think this would not work as well

Last edited:
Back