2012 skyactiv manual tranny - notchy shifting

ahains

:
2012 mazda3 i touring hb
Before buying my 2012 skyactiv MT, I test drove 2 separate MT cars (as well as two AT), before I finally had my MT shipped in from the next state (so now I have driven 3 MTs altogether). I found I would occasionally feel some notchiness getting into 1st and 4th gear in each of them. I believe it may have been more pronounced when first starting off with a cold car.
Fast forward to today in my new hatchback, 400 miles on the odo, I was at a light that turned green, and I simply could not get into first gear. I had to shift to neutral, clutch out and back in, and then was able to shift to first. I didn't try cramming it into first before the trip to neutral, as I try to show some mechanical empathy, but I did verify that it wasn't just a matter of applying a bit of extra pressure towards 1st for a second.
This is pretty disheartening for me, as one of the significant reasons I traded in my 2004 WRX was because I was sick of (very) occasionally getting stuck at a green light and having to fiddle to get the thing into first gear.
I think on the test drives that I assumed it must just be a cold tranny issue, after reading all of the smooth-as-butter reviews of the tranny, but today the car was very fully warmed up when it happened.
One thing that crossed my mind is that Mazda is likely trying to squeeze every last MPG out of the car, and so maybe they went with a lightweight tranny fluid just like they went with an extra light motor oil weight. I can't find any reference to the recommended tranny fluid weight in the owners manual. I was thinking of doing an engine and tranny fluid change somewhere in the 500-1000 mile range, to get any metal particulate out of the fluid (as I said, I try to have mechanical empathy for my cars). So I'm wondering what kind of tranny fluid they come with from the factory, and the pros/cons of modifying this mixture a minimal amount. I found that the synchros on my WRX were hugely more cooperative with a blend of ~25% synchromesh and 75% 75-90 fluid. I want to do a great job in supporting the longevity of the synchros/tranny, but I would sure like to avoid getting stuck getting it into first gear again. It really pisses me off to have to put up with that on a brand new car, after 6 years of doing so in the WRX I had bought used.
I'm no expert, but my guess is that synchros do not have any significant break-in process to where this is likely to smooth out in the future as-is.
Anyone have info on the tranny fluid the cars ship with, or longevity impacts of a minor blend (maybe 10%?) synchromesh or the like?
Also - anyone know if the tranny plug from the factory is magnetic? And if not, is there one available from Mazda from perhaps another model (e.g. the MS3)?
thanks!

Just purchased a 3 Skyactiv MT as well, approximately 600 mi. on the odometer. While I have not encountered anything like you have, I will look out for it. Having owned or driven many different makes and models of manual transmission vehicles, I have noticed how light of a clutch pedal and smooth of a gate the 3 Skyactiv exhibits. Truly a leap ahead for a Mazda MT. My only issue is getting used to a light pedal and the different take-up point compared to my Mini Clubman, which has a wonderfully heavy pedal and somewhat clunky gate, but I love the pedal's precision. What you describe, however, I have noticed once in a while in EVERY manual I've ever owned, just not my new 3 yet.

I too would like any info concerning fluid types, service data, torque specs etc. as I'm planning on an oil change and transmission fluid change in the very near future. So... BUMP.

There has been times that I have felt this same extra pressure needed to shift into first at a stop light or so. In my cases, it felt as though it would not go into 1st at all, no matter how hard I pushed (within a reasonable limit). I found that coasting a few inches forward (or backward if on a hill) allowed me to go into 1st as usual. This has only happened to me two or three times in my first 1,000 miles though. Otherwise it has been doing great. Hope you find something out with yours and post back if you find anything out.

if the car is not moving, and you have the clutch pedal pushed down, the gears in the casing are not moving and some gear mis-alignment can be experienced. letting the pedal out and pressing back down will allow the gears to spin lightly making it easier for the gears to mesh. this is how manual transmissions work. changing fluid or any other tricks will not change this function.

The 6MT on my 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv is leaps and bounds above the crap 5MT in my '05 WRX that I traded in for it. The shifts are damn near effortless, which makes for a very enjoyable driving experience. Sorry to hear that your transmission is "notchy." I bet that after a few thousand miles the syncros will be broken in and everything will be fine. In three weeks I've put 1200+ miles on mine and things have settled in nicely. Also, the drivetrain is far more forgiving on the 3 than a WRX, you can start out in second and it doesn't feel like the car is going to die. I've done it once or twice, only because I forgot to shift out to neutral after coasting to a stop. Hell, when I first test drove a 3 I started it out in 3rd at a stoplight because I was afraid I was going to put it in reverse... That was until I figured out how reverse worked on a 6-speed. (braindead

Overall I am more than pleased with the gearbox. The shift pattern is great. Nice crisp, tight shifts. And I agree with the above post. I constantly start in 2nd gear in town and it starts up without any of the shuddering that some cars experience when doing the same thing.

i loved the throws and ease of shifting, but i hate that clutch, it has almost 0 feedback compared to my speed3's

I definitely love the smoothness and ease of my SKYACTIV's 6MT as well, but I will agree about the clutch. I came from two years of 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 ownership, so I learned quickly to love the abrupt catch point of its clutch, which made for really fast shifts and improved acceleration. The clutch in my new car reminds me a lot of the one I had in my 2006 Mazda 6i Sport, so in a way, it's like I'm driving the reincarnation of an incredible car that never gave me any problems. Sure, the Speed never left me stranded, but all the warranty work, high insurance, high maintenance, and thirst for premium fuel (with the exception of all-highway because it was easy to get 30+ MPG) were financially overwhelming me month after month. Since my driving is fairly mixed day-to-day, I'm hoping I could maintain 30+ MPG (not unreasonable) and possibly exceed 40 MPG all highway. I'm glad Mazda builds a sensible car that still has a personality and decent driving dynamics. I wouldn't want a heavy brick of a hybrid (most of them are CVT transmission only, which sucks) or your typical Corolla, Civic, Sentra, and the like. This is my third Mazda, so I'll remain loyal as long as the company continues to provide enthusiasts like me with great options.

Back