2012+ Mazda5 Hood Deflector

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
I've been looking into one for a while given the paper-thin nature of the 5's paint and the amount of driving that I do. I was going to go for the Plastidip route but I couldn't get it to work. After browsing the Mazda Japan website, I found out that Mazda makes a ton of accessories for the 5, very few of which are available in the US. However, some of these accessories are available in Canada, including a hood deflector. It is listed in the Canadian accessories brochure but not pictured. After some searching, I finally found a picture of it on a used Mazda5:

b5389527_6.jpg

I don't live in Canada but I am going to head there in the late spring with the wife on a business trip. I think I'm going to purchase one while I'm there. It's some ways off, but would anyone else be interested? Any other accessories you'd like to have? Here's what's available:

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsAccessories&vehicleCode=MZ5

If your worried about rock chips I'd recomend checking out clear bra. It's great stuff and can be applied to everywhere your worried about rock chips.

Not sure if you are aware but AVS makes one for +’12. Nothing for <’10 :(. Aftermarket ones appear shorter BUT have a higher wind deflection lip. OEM ones seem to be lower and wider but have a lower wind deflection lip (better aero?). I was searching for one for a very long time for my ’08. My once perfect hood now looks like it was sand blasted and it is absolutely due to the cheap/thin paint. I’m not willing to throw clear bra money on a Mazda, let alone a Mz5. I found the magnet bra which is a workable cheap alternative for my needs –so far. Speaking of which, it's time it take it off for cleaning :p Note: it does not protect the top end of the hood b/c it is flat. BTW, a lot of reviews comment hood mount deflects affect aero enough that it hurts mpg, say by ~1-2 mpg. Something to think about.

I had 3M clear bra on an SRX. It is nice to have but will not do it again b/c a car will get damage no matter what, for example idiots who can’t park, which clear bra does not protect against. If you need body work, you need to reapply. There are also DIY kits where you spay a transparent layer to protect the surface, sorta like clear bra but it is probably not as resilient.

Last edited:
Back