2012 Camaro to get new interior

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT

Used to be that dudes who drove pony/muscle cars didn't give a damn about having nicely textured, low-sheen car interior trimmings. As long as the plastic flashing on the seams of the center console wasn't so egregious that it would slice their hands while they reached for ashtray, it was cool.
But now men cry out in public and want a non-crappy interior in their Camaro. One problem: The new Camaro's interior is indeed on the crappy side. A GM insider confirmed for us that the company is hard at work now on a substantially reworked interior for the Camaro that will appear for the 2012 model year. He couldn't/wouldn't list all of the changes, but did mention that most of the upgrading work will go into the dash and specifically that big expanse of blackness in front of the passenger. We're betting the work will include substantially more than just a new dash cap and will -- please, please, please -- include a new, less-stupidly shaped steering wheel and primary gauges designed with readability as a higher priority than some ill-considered retro style.
Also new for the 2012 will be a little something called the Camaro Z28. Perhaps you've heard of it once (or a million times) before. Why wait until the 2012 model year? Our source says so it doesn't step on the toes to the convertible which will be the Camaro's "big news for 2011."

[source: Insideline]

Whaaat? The current interior rocks!

Look at those dials, the steering wheel, and the a/c knobs (2thumbs)!!

112_0809_14z+2010_chevrolet_camaro+interior.jpg

Have fun reading the aux. gauges, figuring your speed out, or playing with the Game Boy styled knobs. It sucks inside. Honestly, Mustang or Challenger interior is much more user-friendly.

Aside from the ill-conceived center console gauges and Playstation HVAC controls, PLEASE shave at least 300 lbs. from it. Otherwise, I can't see a reason to take it over the five-oh.

Aside from the ill-conceived center console gauges and Playstation HVAC controls, PLEASE shave at least 300 lbs. from it. Otherwise, I can't see a reason to take it over the five-oh.

Improving visibility and reducing those awful blind spots would be a good place to trim some fat too. The dash overwhelms you inside when you're sitting in it, and the doors are too high to drive comfortably for a long cruise. Can't put your arm out the window.

That will be made up for with the 550hp V8 in the Z28. Rumor has it.

Rumors of the Z28 coming back have been around almost as much as the new RX-7 rumors. I don't see it happening, if at all, til 2013 at the earliest.

an older gentlemen here @ work has one, and to be honest the interior didn't look too bad. of course, it was two in the morning when he showed it to me and i was standing by the door from a distance of a couple of feet away.

not "too" bad.

OR

The weight could be reduced, and then handling, braking, and acceleration would all benefit... without having to cram a larger engine into it.

Makes me think more about a Lotus everyday.

I test drove one. The visibility from the inside is horrendous...I went up on the freeway, did the quick glance over my left shoulder to merge, and then had to lean over and look to make sure my blind spot was really clear. It was actually shocking how bad that was. The interior was pretty cut rate...even the standard Mazda 3 or 6 interior is far nicer. The car drove well enough, but it all seemed to be just a huge mass of metal that you were sunken into.

I test drove one. The visibility from the inside is horrendous...I went up on the freeway, did the quick glance over my left shoulder to merge, and then had to lean over and look to make sure my blind spot was really clear. It was actually shocking how bad that was. The interior was pretty cut rate...even the standard Mazda 3 or 6 interior is far nicer. The car drove well enough, but it all seemed to be just a huge mass of metal that you were sunken into.

This sounds a lot like the Chrysler Crossfire the rear visibility is awful at any height.

I have a minor (okay maybe more than minor) obsession with Bumblebee.. But I do agree that the interior leaves something to be desired. I didn't like the "retro" (poorly planned) gauges that are under the radio area. Each time I go to the NY auto show, I get in these cars and mess with all the buttons and see what feels comfortable just sitting in the driver's seat. Consistently, I'm comfortable in the foreign cars because it seems like they put more time into the design of their interior. I think American cars lack a lot on interior designing..

The new mustangs fit me like a glove.

I found the camaro uncomfortable and awkward.

Back