2009 CX-9 Oil leak behind alternator…Any ideas?

I have a 2009 Mazda CX-9 with a3.7. I have oil and coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole. I have removed the alternator to visually confirm that and without a doubt that is what it is. Has anyone else experienced this before. I am prepared to replace the chains and water pump but the oil leaking out of the same spot is throwing me. I suspect the pump is pretty bad and allowing the oil to flow from there. Thank you for any info you may have.

A lot of people have experienced this. I have oily patch there too.
Water pump needs replacement. But I cant find a mechanic willing to do this.

Upvote 0
The engine needs to be removed to replace the water pump. (Mazda choosing to buy this Ford engine was not one of their better moves.) The water pump leaks into the engine, coolant mixes with oil, and the engine gets destroyed. If coolant is in your oil now be very careful. An oil analysis costs $35, but don't wait. If your mechanic or a truck stop has an analysis available very soon, do that. The analysis will detect coolant in the oil and detect excess wear metals in the oil.

Upvote 0
I have a 2009 Mazda CX-9 with a3.7. I have oil and coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole. I have removed the alternator to visually confirm that and without a doubt that is what it is. Has anyone else experienced this before. I am prepared to replace the chains and water pump but the oil leaking out of the same spot is throwing me. I suspect the pump is pretty bad and allowing the oil to flow from there. Thank you for any info you may have.
Go ahead and get that water pump replaced. If you can’t get a Mazda dealer or independent to do it, have a Ford dealer do it. They will be ever familiar with it. Everything there is FoMoCo. You don’t need to take the engine out for this job. I work at a Ford dealership and we see these all the time in the Edges and Explorers. It’s about a 12-14 hour labor job so get ready for the bill.

Upvote 0
Back