2008 Mazda5: SUBSTANTIAL CHANGES!!!!

Why can't they offer a second-row bench like Kia does in the Rondo? Family of five plus luggage won't fly.

True :(, but the more marketing I see (Asia?) the more I have noted that the main Mazda5 market target seems to be small families with 1-2 kids. Of course, they also show the MZ5 carrying more 5 or more people (using the 3 row seats and the Karakuri 7th seat) but something like children's football/rugby/baseball teams with no long trip luggage needs.

Some examples:

Commercial Mazda5 logo is parents, 2 kids and a dog. Also, check "Videos"
http://5.mazda.com.my/

tvcm_scene1_p1.jpg

int_photo_big3.jpg

mazda5_ad_5_max_surf.jpg

Nice! I've put an order on an M5 2008 in just that color (copper red I believe it is)! Black cloth interiour though... Leather option is pretty expensive in sweden (about 2.000 usd). But I will get tinted windows in original though. Thinkin of order chromed rear mirrors. Think it would look nice together with the color . Just hoping I won't be having any problems with the tyre wear...

Why can't they offer a second-row bench like Kia does in the Rondo? Family of five plus luggage won't fly.
karakuri_p1.jpg
karakuri_p2.jpg
karakuri_p3.jpg

Michael, I'm guessing that the Karakuri 7th seat doesn't meet US DOT crash requirements because it doesn't click or latch onto the seat on the opposite side, rather, it sits on a rubber pad as far as I can tell. Re-engineering the seat and then crashing the vehicle to certify it for sale in NA is probably something Mazda has considered, but given the 5's low sales over here, it's probably not worth it to them.

Bummer, I say.

- Rich

Last edited:
Michael, I'm guessing that the Karakuri 7th seat doesn't meet US DOT crash requirements because it doesn't click or latch onto the seat on the opposite side, rather, it sits on a rubber pad as far as I can tell.

Or maybe it's because American kids are just too fat to fit in the seat! :)

I don't own a Mazda5 and haven't had the privelege to sit in one yet. But, let's talks storage for the 2008 Mazda5: What is there for the driver and front passenger? Is there a place I can cram CDs and other stuff into?

I currently own a 2003 Mazda6. For storage in the front seats it has:
- Glove compartment
- In the doors
- In the dash above information display
- In the armrest between the driver and passenger
- Two cupholders between the driver and passenger
- Sunglass storage above the rearview mirror

How does the Mazda5 compare?

Related side question: Instead of dedicated armrests between the driver and passenger, why isn't it feasible to put an armrest with storage and cupholders like the Mazda6?

Navigation Screen

So when the Nav isn't being used, what's the screen show? The current Sirius Satellite option does not scroll any channel information.

Hey finally the somwhat lonely hazard button on the 06 have a nice place with friends lol... Is it me or the lower end of the center console (where the shifter is) is more "angled"? Or is it only a pic effect?

Me like the beige leather very much. It's less dull then the black/grey.

The new wheels aren't that bad either. I've seen them "in person" on a 3 lately.

The only thing I am not sure is the tail lights. They still haven't got them right IMO...

Me want ooooooooone....

Oh, they shouls have trashed the green backlighting to put some bluuuue instead :).

Last edited:
- Glove compartment [Checked]
- In the doors [Checked]
- In the dash above information display [Nope]
- In the armrest between the driver and passenger [Central Console only, it can hold CDs]
- Two cupholders between the driver and passenger [2006, 2007, Not sure about the 2008 but at least it has one]
- Sunglass storage above the rearview mirror [Europe and Japan models only it seems. Now, I usually put mine on the small compartment left to the steering wheel]

Instead of dedicated armrests between the driver and passenger, why isn't it feasible to put an armrest with storage and cupholders like the Mazda6?

It would remind me of a sedan (of course, like the Mazda6) or an SUV. Also, possibly because of the Mazda5 width? If its too slim, it may look very awkward (my 2 cents).

Related side question: Instead of dedicated armrests between the driver and passenger, why isn't it feasible to put an armrest with storage and cupholders like the Mazda6?

I think it would look really tall, bulky, and weird. You're sitting much more upright in the 5; I'm trying to imagine what a console would look like if it was at the height of where the armrest is. My wife and I keep the armrest down, but I've seen posts of people complaining that the armrest gets in the way of shifting.

I agree with you on the lights...They're U-G-L-Y!!! The ones right now needed somebit of redesigning but that? (dunno) I'm not liking that the car is beginning to look more like an actual minivan. I like the current young, sporty look it has.
Hey finally the somwhat lonely hazard button on the 06 have a nice place with friends lol... Is it me or the lower end of the center console (where the shifter is) is more "angled"? Or is it only a pic effect?

Me like the beige leather very much. It's less dull then the black/grey.

The new wheels aren't that bad either. I've seen them "in person" on a 3 lately.

The only thing I am not sure is the tail lights. They still haven't got them right IMO...

Me want ooooooooone....

Oh, they shouls have trashed the green backlighting to put some bluuuue instead :).

I agree with you on the lights...They're U-G-L-Y!!! The ones right now needed somebit of redesigning but that? (dunno) I'm not liking that the car is beginning to look more like an actual minivan. I like the current young, sporty look it has.

TBH I'm not loving the lights either, and prefer the existing lights, but I guess they will have to do.

As for it looking like a minivan, I have to partly agree with you, but I don't think that the copper red (burgundy) exterior or tan/beige interior in the photos are doing it any favours. IMO these are 'minivan' colours, but don't ask me why as I can't put my finger on why that is.

I'm reckoning that a Platinum Silver Metallic GT, with a charcoal/black leather interior, aided by the wheels (which are growing on me I have to admit), might make it look a bit more 'sportier' - which is the main quality that attracted us to the existing version.

At least I hope so, as that's what we're going for!

I wonder what the $ cost will be for Sat Nav?

Couldn't have said it better! (yes)
TBH I'm not loving the lights either, and prefer the existing lights, but I guess they will have to do.

As for it looking like a minivan, I have to partly agree with you, but I don't think that the copper red (burgundy) exterior or tan/beige interior in the photos are doing it any favours. IMO these are 'minivan' colours, but don't ask me why as I can't put my finger on why that is.

I'm reckoning that a Platinum Silver Metallic GT, with a charcoal/black leather interior, aided by the wheels (which are growing on me I have to admit), might make it look a bit more 'sportier' - which is the main quality that attracted us to the existing version.

At least I hope so, as that's what we're going for!

I had the same reaction when I saw it in that particular 'minivan' colour. For me I think its because, at least around ottawa, there seems to be about a million dodge caravans on the road in that similar shade of red.

As for the navigation thingy, I like the look of that and am curious to see what the console looks like without one as we will probably not fork out the extra $$ for that option.

Latest posts

Back