2008 Mazda5 Coin holder modification done.

thugus

My wife requested the first mod to the car: coin holders. For some reason, Mazda USA didn't think Mazda5 owners would have spare coins around the car.

I order the parts online, pull the lower panel off, and replaced the 3 plastic placeholders.

I was a bit surprise that the coin holders didn't have a hatch/door. Like other storage spaces around Mazda5, it is exposed. Personally I would prefer to have a cover.

Here are some pics, and instruction on how to remove the panel.

Attachments

• CRW_7958_small.JPG
    CRW_7958_small.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,458
  • CRW_7963_small.JPG
    CRW_7963_small.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • MZ5 LOWER PANEL REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 571
  • MZ5 HOOD LATCH AND RELEASE LEVER REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 462
  • MZ5 FRONT SIDE TRIM REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 585
nice mod.. It is for Mazda 5?

BTW does it "hold" the coins well?

it looks like coins are about to fall in pics...

It is for Mazda5.

Yes, it is for Mazda5 also, though it is usually marketed for Mazda3. It fits perfect in that space with the clip-on tabs.

My wife assured me the coins stayed in place, though our driveway isn't steep nor do we drag race the car, so who knows...

I think it is more of the angle of the camera that makes it look like coins are falling out.

nice mod.. It is for Mazda 5?

BTW does it "hold" the coins well?

it looks like coins are about to fall in pics...

That's cool. I know I'm getting tired of hearing the coins rattle around in the litttle ledge thingy.

thhhhaaaats what that thing is for next to my foglight switch in my car.

XD

for the past year i was wondering what the hell the point of it was

for the past year i was wondering what the hell the point of it was

The real point is buttons for what we don't get here (i.e. power doors, AWD) (yet the nice coin holder is very clever):
kaiteki_p1.jpg

bet it doesn't hold a toonie lol

ha ha....

GOLD!

I just dont understand NA car companies. they piss moan and complain about the state of their business, when, in europe and japan they have amazing rides available, but instead build bland crap that no one wants....ford for example...in europe they have the mondeo amazing sedan and wagon, what do we get here? the taurus....again. bland crap. ford in europe has the focus that screams....here...junk

Last edited:
I just dont understand NA car companies. they piss moan and complain about the state of their business, when, in europe and japan they have amazing rides available, but instead build bland crap that no one wants....ford for example...in europe they have the mondeo amazing sedan and wagon, what do we get here? the taurus....again. bland crap. ford in europe has the focus that screams....here...junk

That's the biggest complaint on the Focus forums. Some of the MKII Focus has made it over here. But in the form of the Mazda3 and the Volvo S40. But the growing trend is to bring that stuff over here now. The new Fiesta is coming over. When the next generation Fusion hits the market, it will be a Mondeo. And the Focus is finally going to be the european one in 2010. GM is even doing it. The entire new Saturn lineup is all Opels. The new Chevy Malibu is an Opel. The Pontiac G8 is a Holden from Australia.

The problem with this country is Americans feel we need suv's and trucks. But the tides are changing with the rising gas prices.

Getting there, slowly but surely. It is not that easy, so many regulations and steps to make cars NA compliant (don't ask, NHTSA, EPA, (blah)). also they need to make them cheap enough. US and Canada (yes even Canada with today's killing exchange rate) pay nuts for cars compared to other parts of the world! Do you know that SAAB is working on the red with some Europe made models in the US as an example?

Anyway, some light at the end of the tunnel:
- Saturn: bringing the Opel Astra
- Pontiac: bringing the G8 (Holden Commodore)

Oh, and the Mondeo. My brother drives one South of the Border (US Border let me clarify :D), and that thing is sweet, he loves it. The Ford Focus ST (yes, a real performance, good looking Focus) is sold there as well (2thumbs)

Back