$2008 GRM Challenge – Turbo AWD Mercury Tracer LTS

Awesome! Congrats on your placing thus far! That Mitsu looks sweet too. Pass along our complements if you get a chance.

Any chance of tuning for a bit more power before the drags?

gah! i cant believe i missed this!! i live in Gainesville!!! but i heard about your car from people who went... and i knew it was yours... congrats

I haven't verified, but from his partner in crime down in Gainsville I got 17th in Concourse, 15.37 in the drag. I just got home from a wedding out of town, but I'll have the video of the dyno posted here soon so y'all can partake in the absolute awesome that this car is

I've finally made it home and can say that I, and the Hong Norr team, had another fun and very successful Challenge. I'm glad it's done, but I'm already looking forward to next year.

The drags didn't transpire well, unfortunately. On my next to last run, I realized I was only boosting to 8 PSI. I can go to 15 safely. Woops. I have no idea why the concourse score was so poor (17th?), but I did receive an honorable mention for the best engineered at the banquet. All in all, as always the event was an absolute blast both on and off the track premesis. The car showed a lot of promise, especially in the auto-x. I think I'll be back next year ;)

The trip was uneventful until I was about 30 miles from Atlanta when one of the trailer tires shredded. It was impressive, really. It destroyed the left side light, knocked the license plate off somewhere in the middle lane of I75 and banged up the fender. It looks like I have a project for Monday. At least I have the time now ;). We didn't have a spare tire, so we jammed a peice of wood above the axle that still had a good tire to maintain proper balance and made it the rest of the way home.

Below are a few pictures of the Hong Norr teammates' racers. The yellow CRX is a wicked screamer in the auto-x and a low 12 second car on the drag. It took the overall win. They blue Civic, aka the s00p3rturd, took 2nd in the auto-x again this year. This was the car featured on the cover of last year's GRM issue.

Attachments

• DSCN6023.JPG
    DSCN6023.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 551
  • DSCN6020.JPG
    DSCN6020.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCN6017.JPG
    DSCN6017.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN6015.JPG
    DSCN6015.JPG
    556.6 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCN6030.JPG
    DSCN6030.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 455
Good deal man, Congrats!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhT8z3YWMH0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhT8z3YWMH0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ajS5vPvpjMk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ajS5vPvpjMk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You... drove home on that tire? o_O Now that is a budget challenge!

lol, no. I removed the tire and blocked the axle, basically making it home on 3 tires.

Very cool, Muff. Thanks dude!

Sooo.... after seeing the dyno, I gotta know: How much ya bench?...I mean what kind of numbers are you putting down?

Sooo.... after seeing the dyno, I gotta know: How much ya bench?...I mean what kind of numbers are you putting down?

Sadly, the power output is unimpressive. 161HP@6100 RPM and 152LB/FT@5200 across all 4 wheels. I'm not sure if I have a bum engine, lots of drivetrain loss, or what. The injectors were peaked at those levels which is baffling.

Last edited:
Damn...time to retune I guess.

I'm at work...will have to wait til I get home to view the vid...also...Muff...can you reply with an actual link to the vid file?
thx.

I've finally made it home and can say that I, and the Hong Norr team, had another fun and very successful Challenge. I'm glad it's done, but I'm already looking forward to next year.

The drags didn't transpire well, unfortunately. On my next to last run, I realized I was only boosting to 8 PSI. I can go to 15 safely. Woops. I have no idea why the concourse score was so poor (17th?), but I did receive an honorable mention for the best engineered at the banquet. All in all, as always the event was an absolute blast both on and off the track premesis. The car showed a lot of promise, especially in the auto-x. I think I'll be back next year ;)

The trip was uneventful until I was about 30 miles from Atlanta when one of the trailer tires shredded. It was impressive, really. It destroyed the left side light, knocked the license plate off somewhere in the middle lane of I75 and banged up the fender. It looks like I have a project for Monday. At least I have the time now ;). We didn't have a spare tire, so we jammed a peice of wood above the axle that still had a good tire to maintain proper balance and made it the rest of the way home.

Below are a few pictures of the Hong Norr teammates' racers. The yellow CRX is a wicked screamer in the auto-x and a low 12 second car on the drag. It took the overall win. They blue Civic, aka the s00p3rturd, took 2nd in the auto-x again this year. This was the car featured on the cover of last year's GRM issue.

is it going to be east coast or west coast next year?

Back