2006 Mazda5 update

danix

:
06 Mazda5 Touring MT
I don't post here a lot, but I browse occasionally.
I thought it would be interesting to give a recap of my Mazda5 ownership history.

Bought the car new in 2006. It's a Mazda5 Touring, 5 speed.
Currently it has 37,000 miles.

Repairs/Issues (the bad):
- trembling idle, comes and goes. Had ECU reflashed at my request (per TSB), didn't do much.
- key failed to unlock the car, had to have central locking ECU replaced per TSB
- ate the first set of tires very quickly (by 17k miles). Replacement tires are doing a little better at about 45% left.
- MPG has been very poor since day one. This car averages around 22mpg around town and highway, which is pathetic for a 2.3 4 cylinder. Dealer says they are all like this, and blames the current kind of gasoline we get with ethanol in it.
- Overall trim integrity (things like moldings, door seals, etc) is poor.
- Currently experiencing a knock/clunk in the steering, in the left side, when I go over a speed bump. Dealer checked and found the #3 passenger side motor mount is leaking, says that's it. I pointed them to the TSB for swaybar bushings but they said the bushings are fine. Steering and suspension feel substantially worse than on day 1.
- Lack of traction control makes takeoff in the wet really tricky.
- A/C stopped cooling, had to have it recharged. No obvious leak found.
- Sliding door locks seem to be getting intermittent. Unlock the car, but one of the doors is staying locked.

Positive:
- When new, the suspension was fantastic. I felt no need to tinker with the suspension on this car, unlike most I've owned.
- Overall the car has been very reliable - other than oil changes, nothing significant has needed to be done.
- For this kind of car, it's fun to drive. And nothing else met our space needs and came with a stick shift.

The car, being our family hauler, has not had the easiest life, as 3 kids will tend to do that to a car (sniff, sniff).
I'm now debating what I want to do. Keep it, and drive it to 100k, which was my original plan? Sure, but I see things like the locks failing, suspension getting sloppy, and so I am not sure if I want to do a suspension upgrade, fix what's broke, and be happy with it, or upgrade to something else.

The new 2012 is OK, but is disappointing in that I was hoping for the diesel to make its way over. The 2.5 does nothing for me.

A new 2010 would have stability and traction control, and address my trim (and warranty) issues, but at best my 2006 is worth 10k in a private sale, so I'm spending $8-10k to get essentially the same car. Plus buying a 2010, in 2011, with a 2012 coming soon, would be pretty silly from a resale perspective.

I'm curious to see how other 2006 cars are holding up compared to mine.

Last edited:
We have a 2006 GT. But it only has 65,000km. And is a pampered 5 (always parked where there is roof, and block heater plugged-in when it gets real cold in winter. Change oil and regular maintenance is at the dealership. I winterize the car each year (lube sliders etc..).

Issues so far:
- warranty repair of the block heater - it shorted out the first winter.
- The OEM tires was replaced last year after 50,000km or so. But I do have a a set of winter tires.. probably explain why the OEM lasted that long.
- No problem with sliding door locking. Maybe because car is parked inside the garage overnight.

- It has its share of 'battle scars'. 2 dings in the right sliding door, curb gash in 2 alloy wheels, and scrapes in bottom of side sills'. Spots of 'touch up paint' applied to stone
chipped part of the hood.

Extended Warranty ends July next year. I expect to be replacing the shocks on both 4.
and it should ride like new again. I plan on having it detailed next year.

The new models are very tempting after this one is paid off. But the extra cash each month that is coming back to our bank account seems more attractive.

57K so far. Have a mild tremor at idle, nothing particularly bothersome, otherwise engine is fine. I did have to add some coolant at some point. Leaking clutch master cylinder replaced around 45K. Some crunch on the 1-2 upshift when engine is cold if you shift too quickly.

Suspension is the weak link. Replaced many bushings and left rear shock under warranty. Right front strut now leaking and rattling and needs to be replaced. Danix, that may be your issue. I also feel that the suspension is sloppier and am interested in how the car drives when the struts are replaced.

Other warranty repairs include the right sliding door power lock actuator replaced and the squealing A/C belt. Out-of-warranty repair includes the motor mount #3.

Interior creaks over uneven bumps and surfaces now, and when cold we have that annoying dashboard tap. Dealer says the cowl is fine. I'm learning to live with it, the car isn't new any more.

28K on initial Toyos with severe wear and cupping. Almost 30K on Michelin Pilot Exaltos now, wearing evenly, and plenty of tread left.

Overall the car does what we want it to, although the various repairs have been annoying. In the car's defense, the problems are all fixable. Still the perfect size for us and since I'm sure no one wants a stick-shift mini-minivan, resale is low. As long as the engine is strong, it'll gradually develop into our beater car.

I have 110k MILES (not KMs) on my car, and the dealer replaced a power steering hose at about 34k miles, I replaced the shocks/struts at 93k miles, and the thermostat at about 107k miles.

Besides oil/filter/plugs/tires, that's it so far.

i have 140,000km and so far it's been a fantastic car, the only repairs I've done so far have been 1 rear(left) strut, front brakes (at 127,000km) and the power lock mechanisms for the sliders (they get alot of abuse from the kids) other than that I've just done regular scheduled maintenance, and the TSB's. I had the front lower control arms replaced under recall, and the bushings done. other than that it's been a bullet rpoof car! even the mileage is good. I average down around 8.9l/100km with spirited driving to boot!!

Probably my only complaint is the windshield defrost can't over a long drive keep up with the needs of a long messy winter drive, and the low ride/tight wheel wells tend to fill up with snow in winter driving!

I even managed to get to 116,000km on the OEM toyo's!!! ( with winter tires in play)

Back