2006 Mazda3i Timing Chain reset issue…Help!

Hi All,

I need help. I have a 06 Mazda 3i that needed the timing chain reset. I took it to a shop and they messed it up. I subsequently took it to my local Mazda dealer and they diagnosed and told/showed me what went wrong. They mentioned to me that only a Ford/Mazda ase dealer had the key to reset those models of Mazdas. I have sued the previous mechanic shop in small claims court and the judge in the case told me she needed more information and/or to speak with a mechanic to explain about the key. None of the mazda mechanics will testify and they also won't write up a statement about the key.

Is there anyone here that knows where I can get that information and/or know a mechanic that can testify over zoom about the mazda key for resetting the timing chain? Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You'd have to explain it to me, too. The chain is a pretty basic part. There might be an adjustment for the tensioner. Or adjustable indexing on the cam sprocket(s). Or a longer shot - there are offset keys, straight or half-moon, available for cam sprockets. But I don't really know what you mean by "reset".
Or is it a software thing, with an RSA key or password to unlock some service mode parameter associated with cam position sensor? Being '06 I wouldn't have thought it would be that crazy yet.

Upvote 0
I don't know the key. I'm assuming the tensioner. I'm just relaying the information the Mazda tex shared with me/ It was also confirmed via another Mazda mechanic. I know they stopped using that key after the 07 or 08 models

Upvote 0
Back