2003 MP5 Transmission slip 2/3 Several codes. 2003 MP5 HELP! Please click and comment

dkolkman

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hello,

I have auto trans MP5 2003 with 97k. Its slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear. She will try to shift and 2000 rpm at a normal driving speed and will slip to about 2700-3000 rpms and catch 3rd gear and drop to 1200-1500 rpms. I don't have a slipping problem in any other gears. I have been driving with the sport shift and letting off the gas between 2nd/3rd as if i was driving a stick to help with any further damage. If I keep the pedal at 1/3 acceleration(normal driving speed) the trans will slip with the same symptoms as in Drive. I put a quart of Lucas oil stop slip and seemed to help slightly. If I am driving very light on the gas it wont slip too hard as before with out Stop Slip it would. In the morning it doesn't slip at all (probably due to the viscosity of the trans oil being thick when cold) at operation temp is when I have symptoms. I live in Hawaii so it is always hot here 70-80 degrees.

Plugged in the OBDII reader and it spit out these codes:

p0118 (Coolant temp. sensor below regulating temperature)
p0128 (Engine coolant temp. circuit high input)
p0126 (Insufficient coolant temp for stable operation)
p0325 (Knock sensor one circuit malfunction)
p0660 (Intake manifold control solenoid)

I knew about the coolant sensor for a while now but haven't replaced it. I am worried because I do not see a code involving the trans.
A friend of mine mentioned that sometimes trans have a feature that may run off of the vacuum lines and if something is wrong with the vacuum then the trans will have symptoms. (not sure about this??????)

I am not sure what to do at this point... Other than replace the coolant temp sens. and the knock sens. But, I don't think that will fix the trans issue.
I am wondering if this could be symptoms of the transmission solenoid? As I understand there are a couple that assist certain gears??

I really need some advice. I am a college student that is not rich like the top one percent of our country. I have been working on cars, trucks and dirtbike since I was a kid and I need to know what exactly needs to be done so I don't waste my time and money with trial and error. If my trans goes it will total the car and I c wont be able to afford a new one.

Please if you have any thoughts or similar ideas please let me know.

Mahalo,

Derek

Last edited:
Your friend is technically correct, but transmissions haven't used a vacuum modulator since the early 90's.

I would suggest you take your car in to a transmission shop for a proper diagnostic. It could be a solenoid hanging up, but it could also be many other things.

If you floor it in third, does it slip or hold? If it slips, you have a mechanical fault in the transmission.

None of those codes "should" cause a transmission problem, unless there is an underlying electrical issue that is to blame.

Have you checked the tranny fluid? First thing i would do is drain the pan and drop it. Then take off the filter and clean it off with carb or brake cleaner and reinstall it. Then reattach the pan and fill with new fluid. See if that fixes the issue. Possibly need to do that twice if the original fluid is really dark. You can do that yourself or pay a tranny shop to do it but if you choose the shop dont let them do a full tranny flush. That usually causes more problems than good on higher mileage cars.

Your friend is technically correct, but transmissions haven't used a vacuum modulator since the early 90's.

I would suggest you take your car in to a transmission shop for a proper diagnostic. It could be a solenoid hanging up, but it could also be many other things.

If you floor it in third, does it slip or hold? If it slips, you have a mechanical fault in the transmission.

None of those codes "should" cause a transmission problem, unless there is an underlying electrical issue that is to blame.

Yes mr giggles is correct however i was implying you can check the fluid via dipstick. If its brown or black or smells burnt you can try new fluid and save yourself some money. Its your time and 3 quarts of fluid to see if its a simple fix or the tranny needs professional attention.

Actually a coolant temp sensor malfunction can cause all sorts of driveability issues. If fluid is full and looks good, I'd start with that.

660 seems like VTCS or VICS actuator issue. I would do as has been suggested.....replace coolant sensor and check the state of the fluid in tranny. See if 660 hangs around. See what's left and go from there.

Last edited:
The temperature sensor is cheap...

Make sure it's not a broken or shorted wire/bad connection.

Plugged in the OBDII reader and it spit out these codes:

p0118 (Coolant temp. sensor below regulating temperature)
p0128 (Engine coolant temp. circuit high input)
p0126 (Insufficient coolant temp for stable operation)

I knew about the coolant sensor for a while now but haven't replaced it.
Derek

Here's the info on those codes.... Looks like the ECU is thinking your thermostat is stuck open if it's getting bad info. from the ECT sensor...

You can check your temperature sensor on the car to see if it's working or if it's the wiring.

Unplug it and check the resistance across it.

Back