:
2002 Protege ES
Year, Make and Model of Car - 2002 Mazda Protege ES
Mileage - 140,000
Price - $4100 OBO
What is your name - Kent
What is your Email Address - kwstine1 AT gmail DOT com
What is your Phone number - PM for phone
What is your City - Cincinnati (Green TWP/Cheviot area)
What is your State - OH
What is your Zip code - 45211

For Sale: 2002 Mazda Protege ES
4-door sedan
Metallic Black w/gray interior
5-speed manual transmission
140,000 miles

Key Features:
-Power windows, locks, and mirrors.
-Keyless entry
-Cruise control
-ABS
-Power moonroof (tilt/slide)
-Dual front and side airbags
-In-dash 6-disc CD changer
-Fold-down rear seat

Modifications:
-Nardi leather steering wheel from a Miata. Accepts the stock airbag.
-Short shifter looks like a B&M but it was on the car when I bought it so I haven't verified. Nice, shorter throws without being too notchy.
-Lowering springs not positive what kind but I've always assumed Sprint, since the stock springs are in a Sprint box. Ride is a bit stiff but the car handles well. Stock springs go with the car.
-No-name front strut bar
-Sylfex Auxmod adds an aux input to the factory 6-disc CD changer. Play your ipod or whatever.
-The rear deck has Sony Xplode speakers. The door speakers are also upgraded. Again, bought the car this way.
-Tint all-around. I don't know the level as I bought the car this way, but I'd guess at least 50%

New within the last two years/15k miles:
-Brakes (all new discs/pads)
-New driver's side front brake caliper
-Brake fluid flushed & replaced
-Timing belt/water pump
-New valve cover gasket
-Front and rear engine mounts (front is window-welded)
-Redline synthetic transmission fluid
-Rear exhaust section/muffler
-Exhaust front pipe
-Tie-rod ends
-Front swaybar endlinks
-Rear swaybar endlinks AND bushings
-Alignment
-New headlight bulbs
-BRAND NEW Kumho AST tires, less than 500 miles on them

The bad:
-Headlights have some haze
-Tint has some scratches
-Pinstriping is faded
-Rust along leading edge of hood (typical Protege issue) and rear wheel arches (ditto). I got a quote for about $1200 to repair it all this included a new aftermarket hood, new metal at the arches, and paint with clear.
-Crack along bottom of windshield it's been there since I bought the car. Doesn't leak and didn't spread, so I never dealt with it.
-The trunk doesn't open with the key. Again, been that way since I bought the car. The interior trunk release works fine. I was quoted an hour's labor to re-key the lock at the Mazda dealer on Ferguson in Western Hills.

This car has been faithful daily transportation for nearly five years, and has never let me down. I've changed the oil every 3k miles with high-grade conventional oil, and I've done quite a bit of maintenance as you can see above. It's not the prettiest; it has a reasonable amount of wear for its age, but it's reliable and gets decent mileage (mid 20s in town, low 30s on the highway). I'd rate the exterior at a 7 out of 10 and the interior at about 8.5. I'm only getting rid of it because I need a slightly larger vehicle, and I've had it for almost five years and I'm ready to move on.

The AC blows cold, the heat works great, all power options are in place and functional, no leaks or funny noises. I've driven it on quite a few long trips and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It even does OK in the snow. This car would make an excellent daily driver for anyone.

1829415605219441356IM103565x421_A562x421.jpg

1829415607219441356IM104565x421_A562x421.jpg

1829415606219441356IM106565x421_A562x421.jpg

1829415603219441356IM108565x421_A562x421.jpg

P1010007.jpg

NB - these are pictures from when I bought the car. It hasn't changed. I will snap some more recent shots when the weather isn't crap. Also, the intake in the engine pic is gone, the Nardi wheel is not pictured, and I have a leather shift knob on the car instead of the stock rubber knob.

Based on KBB, NADA, and the fact that I've done quite a lot of maintenance in the last two years, I'm asking $4100 OBO for this car. Please PM or email kwstine1 AT gmail DOT com with questions or to arrange to check it out.

Completely forgot about that. None of the other forums I frequent require that. Hopefully it won't rain today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back