2002 Mazda P5. Why did I..

TrippleXCA

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
New Fuel pump. Now it doesn't start at all.

Yesterday, I bought a Mazda Protege5. Hatch back. Yellow. Very nice looking car.

2 days ago, i took it for a test drive. Loved it. Aside from what I thought was a loud fuel pump?
Everything was working fine.

Yesterday, I went to pick it up after work. Started it up. Just nice!
Got driving on the highway to head home, I noticed that going up a hill. I had very limited power and had to gear all the way down into third (from 5th) just to make it up the hill. Didn't think much of it.

Got home. Picked the girlfriend up. Started it up. And this is where I noticed the problems.
Now that it was good and warm from the drive. On idle, it wanted to stall. I had to keep hitting the gas. But... To little gas, it wanted to stall. To much gas it wanted to stall and bog out. Until it hit a certain rev point, Then snapped out of it. I managed to get it going. Once I was going, it was fine. Until I went to shift into second. It wanted to bog out on me. So I came to the conclusion that I have to rev it high and keep the speed during gear shifting.

So went over to my parents house, to show them the car I just picked up.

Well it stalled on me while I was there. Would not start again. Had to leave it there over night and get a ride home from my parents.

Went back this morning... She fired up on the first turn!
Got driving over to the garage.... Once it heated up. It started again.

The garage ran the codes for CEL. 2 popped up.
o2 Senser
Random misfire

So they assumed the coil packs were going, This would cause the o2 sensor to act up as well.

So I went and got 2 new coil packs and 4 new plugs. By this time, the engine cooled enough that it would start.

With the new plugs and coil packs on, didn't make a lick of difference.
So I decdied to do the EGR Valve trick.
Take it out. Clean it up. Put it all back together.

Now... IT was cold. So it fired right up.
I let it idle for a min. It was quick to stall out.

Now when I hit the gas, its like its working in reverse... When ever I hit the gas, It cuts out and stalls. If I leave it idle. It idles just enough so it doesn't stall, but wants to. Then eventually does. Sounds like its flooding itself maybe?

I have no idea. But I'm tempted to wait until it cools down, then drive it right through this persons living room. that I bought it from.

Last edited:
Just curious, did you reset the ECU after you cleaned the EGR and swapped coils?

I see no mention of wires, and boot things that attach to the coils being replaced... you should of repalced those as well when replacing the coil packs and plugs. Im willing to bet your issue is the spark plug wires.

I assume. thats done by draining all the power? If so. I had the battery out while doing the Valve. Backdoor was open the whole time. So I'm sure it was drained.
Is there another process?

The car was running the same with the new coil packs.
Its just 10times worse sense I cleaned the valve.

I will give that a shot.
But since I put the Valve back on, I can't even move it. It just bogs out when I hit the gas and it stalls. Is it possible I screwed the Valve somewhere?
When I had it apart, I can push the spring down all the way and pops right back up. On the other part, theres a little slat thing that doesn't move or anything. Is this normal?

And when it idles. It idles very low, like almost to a stall, cuts in and back out, in and out. If i just let it sit, it will shake then stall.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue. Might want to check the air intake hose. Found out that mine was cracked.

If that was the case, wouldn't it cause issues even when the engine is cold? The issues don't start until the engine is warm. Atleast they didn't . Now it does it right away since putting the EGR Valve back on

More likely a vacuum leak somewhere. Like others have said check the intake hose. Clean the throttle body with some throttle body spray while you're at it. Make sure the egr valve is lined up properly with the gasket and secure.

I will check the intake hose in the morning, when I head down to my shop. Whats the best way to check for a vacuum leak?

Why didn't you change the o2 sensor, or did you? When my o2 sensor was bad, it would bog down, misfire, and then take off like a bat outta hell after I reached a certain rpm.

Im probably going to do that tomorrow. I was looking to see if it was something else before doping $120 on the o2

Are the fuel pumps loud on a 2002 Protege5? For some reason, I don't think its suppose to be this loud.

Why didn't you change the o2 sensor, or did you? When my o2 sensor was bad, it would bog down, misfire, and then take off like a bat outta hell after I reached a certain rpm.

i wish my p5 would take off like a bat outta hell.

its more a like a really high dove from a cage; not the fastest thing, but man its fun.

Back