2001 Mazda 626 Brake Problem...

Hi... new user here... haven't had much problems with the 626, great car, but something weird is happening.

As I drive along the freeway especially, my brakes will at times overadjust automatically. The pedal gets virtually no play on it (it will go about 10 mm) and the brakes are hard and I can smell the brakes. I can also feel the shoes drag and rub against the rotor. After some rest, they will ease up back to normal.

I know I have a worn axle boot, but I don't think this can be the problem. I took the car to Les Schwab for an inspection and they say there is plenty of life left on all the brakes.

Can this be a computer malfunction? I have about 102,000 miles on the car. Any help is appreciated

It can be a malfunction in the module, but it can also be a adjustment issue or an inproper installation that interferes with the brakes on occasion. Ex: My friend owns a 97 Cavalier (piece of crap we all know and he agrees) and we re-did his drum brakes, shoes, drums, cleaned the springs etc. and on occasion when he would brake his back right brake would jam and than release shortly after, but only on occasion. His brakes were self adjusting also but when he reinstalled his springs on that side he put a spring on the wrong angle and it would sometime interfere with the release of his shoe. IDK is this is what could be causing the problem, definitly not the axel boot. Hope it helps you get into the right direction!

It can be a malfunction in the module, but it can also be a adjustment issue or an inproper installation that interferes with the brakes on occasion. Ex: My friend owns a 97 Cavalier (piece of crap we all know and he agrees) and we re-did his drum brakes, shoes, drums, cleaned the springs etc. and on occasion when he would brake his back right brake would jam and than release shortly after, but only on occasion. His brakes were self adjusting also but when he reinstalled his springs on that side he put a spring on the wrong angle and it would sometime interfere with the release of his shoe. IDK is this is what could be causing the problem, definitly not the axel boot. Hope it helps you get into the right direction!

What module would that be? Brakes are hydraulic for a reason...alternator/battery dies you wouldn't have brakes. As for the cavalier, all of them do that, every single cavalier or sunfire, the back brakes lock up instantly, it's a bad proportioning valve that is stock from manufacture.

As for your problem delliott101, your brakes shoes MAY have been installed incorrectly or what is more likely is that your wheel cylinder's are seizing up.

The worst case would be the master cylinder not releasing the rear shoes.

Could be bad residual check valves in the master cylinder, but a bad proportioning valve or misplaced springs are also a possibility.

My first post. Since I wasn't raptured or sent straight to hell I guess I have to fix my brakes.
I have a 2000 626 LX 4 cyl. with 147K on it. Front discs are sticking and heating up big time. Changed the calipers & the rubber lines, but still sticking. Took out the master cylinder and cleaned well but haven't bled the lines yet ( yes, I bench bled the MC). Read somewhere that I first have to bleed the proportional valve. If so, what is the procedure. Hope someone can enlighten me in this.
Rick

Latest posts

Back