20 Thoughts after owning my CX-5 for one week...

Evan, THANK YOU. The plastic is just CHEAP, especially the door panels, some of the dash pieces, etc. The head liner... That was my complains as well. My 2006 Hyundai feels way more substantial. I'm glad I'm not the only one who things so. On a car of this cost, it's too cheap. I would expect this level on a Ford Fiesta or something. But on a 32K car, it feels too cheap.

The iPod issue has a couple of parts. 1) the iPod will not resume playback where it left off, if the vehicle powers off and on again, but will 'reset' back to just playing the first song in alphabetical order. Bluetooth will resume playback, but not an iPod. This is a goof, as I've never seen another car that does that. 2) depending on the size of your iPod or USB stick, it can take a LONG time for it to 'scan', which it must do every time the car is started. My 16 gig iPod Nano takes about 60 seconds. My 64 gig USB Stick takes about 5 to 6 minutes, and my 160 gig iPod Classic takes 26-28 MINUTES to scan, every time the car starts, rendering it 100% useless. The last car I drove, a 2014 Camry, would mount the iPod Classic within 15 seconds max.

To each their own but I had a 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT as a temp. replacement and that had a cheap interior.
I was going to comment on the iPod situation but really do not see any sense in doing so.

That must be the key and I must be one of the fortunate ones (no rattles or vibrations) because I like everything about the CX-5 that I purchased. I don't have a fully loaded model, but coming from all that I have owned in the past this is my nicest vehicle yet. Maybe it is too early with just 1800 miles, but I like the CX-5 more everyday and have spent a lot more effort keeping it clean.

No vibrations or weird noises here too. Oh and at nearly 6k miles I am happy with it, completely, utterly happy.

The $21,490 CX5 has the same base dashboard and plastics as the top of the line $30,000+ CX5 does so maybe this is the issue. I don't think the interior is cheap, just par for the class although I didn't pay over 30k so my expectations are not as high. I think the fit and finish isn't class leading but is still good. I think Mazda's power train, suspension, steering and overall body structure though is class leading and that is what impresses me about the CX5.

Don't forget not that long ago many of these small SUV's were based off economy cars.

It appears that interior aesthetics are largely a matter of personal taste. Personally, I think the Mazda CX-5 cockpit has an understated elegance that exudes quality (and it appears most moto-journalists agree). On the other hand, to my sense of aesthetics, the Ford Focus cockpit looks like something designed during a stoned frat party. Even the spacecraft dashboards in the original Star Wars movie had better balanced aesthetics. It might be visually interesting for a few moments but it is overly busy and discombobulated. Definitely not somewhere I would want to spend any significant amount of time hanging out behind. The CX-5 is very functional, not distracting or flashy and has an aura of elegance and good taste.

100% agree. The interior is the best in this moderately priced class of compact crossover/SUVs. For those of us used to driving premium sport sedans, the CX-5 interior compares well, considering price difference.

To OP, there is a TSB fix for the mirror and hood vibrations. The fix helped out tremendously for my CX-5.

Also, microfiber clothes and windex towelettes work well at cleaning the dash.

Finally, I was achieving around 25-26mpg combined until after the first oil change and then it steadily went up. I'm at 23,000 miles now and I consistently average 29-31mpg combined. (admittedly I baby it but still impressive imo)

The TSB unfortunately is only for 2013 CX-5s, the 2014 is not included. Some people have reported that they have gotten their dealerships to perform it on a 2014, some saying no dice. I will try soon.

The iPod issue has a couple of parts. 1) the iPod will not resume playback where it left off, if the vehicle powers off and on again, but will 'reset' back to just playing the first song in alphabetical order. Bluetooth will resume playback, but not an iPod. This is a goof, as I've never seen another car that does that. 2) depending on the size of your iPod or USB stick, it can take a LONG time for it to 'scan', which it must do every time the car is started. My 16 gig iPod Nano takes about 60 seconds. My 64 gig USB Stick takes about 5 to 6 minutes, and my 160 gig iPod Classic takes 26-28 MINUTES to scan, every time the car starts, rendering it 100% useless. The last car I drove, a 2014 Camry, would mount the iPod Classic within 15 seconds max.

so if I was just using my iPhone 5 with bluetooth (for music + phone) I'd be fine, right? Because that's what I'd probably be doing anyway.

so if I was just using my iPhone 5 with bluetooth (for music + phone) I'd be fine, right? Because that's what I'd probably be doing anyway.

i have had zero problems with playing music off my phone via bluetooth

i have had zero problems with playing music off my phone via bluetooth

awesome. thanks.

My only worry is plugging into the USB for power - would that force it into USB mode or can you still use bluetooth?

Pluging in via USB would most likely put your phone into 'ipod' mode. You could simply get a cigarette style charger, that would charge your phone while allowing it to stream bluetooth.

Bluetooth works very well for me. I can play music on my Android phone and/or stream music from my app of choice.
Pandora integration is great. It starts playing without having me set-up anything, with all the goodness of Pandora 'automatic station'.

While in principle USB should sound better, I've tried several times to see if I hear any degradation by playing the same song from USB and Bluetooth and I could not tell the difference at all.

awesome. thanks.

My only worry is plugging into the USB for power - would that force it into USB mode or can you still use bluetooth?

you can still use bluetooth. Just select bluetooth on the screen instead of USB

digital is digital. if you have a solid connection they'll be the same bits.

No, this is incorrect. USB basically acts like a hard drive. The head unit in in the car reads the file in MP3 format and then decodes and plays it from scratch. When you use bluetooth, the mp3 file is decoded by the PHONE, and then the already processed audio signal is re-compressed into the bluetooth audio streaming format, and sent to the car, which then uncompresses and plays it. This leads to some sound quality loss. In most cases I can't tell the difference however if you have classical music or jazz or similar it may be noticable. In addition, you will get a few seconds delay between skipping to next track and when it actually starts playing, due to the buffering in the bluetooth streaming.

Hi All......new member thanks for having me.
Purchased 2014 CX-5 about 2 weeks ago. Agree w/some of (OP) findings.
Lots of likes (style..fuel economy) but biggest "issue" for me is the too low (and hard) center console.
Need to find a solution and I'll be happy.

No, this is incorrect. USB basically acts like a hard drive. The head unit in in the car reads the file in MP3 format and then decodes and plays it from scratch. When you use bluetooth, the mp3 file is decoded by the PHONE, and then the already processed audio signal is re-compressed into the bluetooth audio streaming format, and sent to the car, which then uncompresses and plays it. This leads to some sound quality loss. In most cases I can't tell the difference however if you have classical music or jazz or similar it may be noticable. In addition, you will get a few seconds delay between skipping to next track and when it actually starts playing, due to the buffering in the bluetooth streaming.

good to know, thanks.

I'll try to plug into the USB port tonight to see the difference.

1) this car is gorgeous. Love the lines, love the look of nearly every angle.
-Amen.

2) my hood vibrates, even over tiny bumps. It's moving all the time. It makes me sad. I will have to have it looked at.
-2013 Sport. Hood is fine.

3) my mirrors vibrate, but not too bad. Both sides about the same, at 45+ they start to move a bit. At 60+ definitely moving.
Driver side mirror has been fixed lately. All good now.

4) car isn't as loud as I feared, after reading some reviews. Definite wind noise around the mirrors starting at 45 to 50, but it's acceptable.
6) this is one of the cheapest interiors I've seen on a 'decently priced car'. Seriously, it feels cheap, hollow, and I have already noticeable squeaks and buzzes from several places. I expect it will only get worse.
-Really? Have you checked the newest RAW4/CRW. I puked when I saw RAW4. Or... what had you been driving before???
11) the Bose stereo is 'adequate' but not one of the better 'premium' stereos. Lacks much low end since it has no sub. Hard to get the settings to sound 'good' as it only has 'bass and treble'. Needs a midrange control.
-Bose everything is considered by many as crap frankly. There have been endless debates all around the net but I'd not bother with anything Boss myself.

12) the Bose Audio Pilot setting has absolutely no apparent effect on the sound quality at all, as far as I can tell :)
See #11

19) I hate. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE the soft touch vinyl dash. Impossible to clean, get dust off, etc. Seriously, this stuff was forged in hell.
-Again, really? One of the best materials to clean/look at.

Had the car for about a month now, took the car on a trip to LA-626 area 2 days ago from Bay Area. It drives pretty smooth on the highway, averaging around 26mpg.

One of my concern/question is... My feet was fully stepped on the throttle, all the way down when going up Tejon Pass to pass a car, but the car wouldn't downshift to gain speed, as in downshifting from 5th to 3rd gear or whatnot. I was trying to pass the car that was blocking the way on the fast lane driving 50mph up the Tejon Pass which I floored the car and the car would speed up, but slowly since it was stuck in 4th gear I believe, revving around 3,500rpm to gain speed up to 75ish. I would have thought flooring the throttle all the way down would make the car downshift into a high rev range for more power... Anyone else experienced this going up hills when trying to pass others?

I notice that this car doesn't really like to rev high in most cases. On a straight 2 lane road, passing car with no oncoming traffic, I pretty much floored it also from 50 to 85 to pass a car + truck, the rev range was around 4k shift points to gain all the speed, not like any other cars I've driven that usually shift around redline/limit.

The vibrating hood/mirror was sure annoying but the BSM was useful.

Back