20 Thoughts after owning my CX-5 for one week...

Mogambi

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
Not planning to start a flame war, but thought I'd post my thoughts after 1 week of owning my new 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package

1) this car is gorgeous. Love the lines, love the look of nearly every angle.
2) my hood vibrates, even over tiny bumps. It's moving all the time. It makes me sad. I will have to have it looked at.
3) my mirrors vibrate, but not too bad. Both sides about the same, at 45+ they start to move a bit. At 60+ definitely moving.
4) car isn't as loud as I feared, after reading some reviews. Definite wind noise around the mirrors starting at 45 to 50, but it's acceptable.
5) the iPod limitation and screw up in the stereo really have me steamed. Had I known, I would have never bought the car. Absolutely ridiculous on Mazda's part that this slipped through.
6) this is one of the cheapest interiors I've seen on a 'decently priced car'. Seriously, it feels cheap, hollow, and I have already noticeable squeaks and buzzes from several places. I expect it will only get worse.
7) first tank of gas seems to be about 25mpg, mixed driving, which seems about right as the car is breaking in.
8) love the advanced keyless entry system, but sometimes feel like I'm playing a game of whack-a-mole as it locks the door as I move around the car. But still a nice feature.
9) the roof rack doesn't look that cool. Wish I hadn't gotten it, but I think all GT AWD with Tech come with it. I might take it off.
10) seriously want to black out the rims :)
11) the Bose stereo is 'adequate' but not one of the better 'premium' stereos. Lacks much low end since it has no sub. Hard to get the settings to sound 'good' as it only has 'bass and treble'. Needs a midrange control.
12) the Bose Audio Pilot setting has absolutely no apparent effect on the sound quality at all, as far as I can tell :)
13) wish the rear seat would fold down without either taking off the headrest, or moving my driver seat forward. Just a few more inches in the back would have accomplished it!
14) blind spot monitoring seems useful, but I still always look over my shoulder.
15) navigation unit is OK, a bit slow (screen is jerky to update, etc). My high end Garmin is much nicer to look at. But it's adequate, but cumbersome to navigate a bit.
16) I still haven't driven at night to see how the whole 'turning headlight' thing works.
17) Wish the running lights and fog lights and stuff were HID to match the headlights. Looks weird to have them mix and match in my opinion.
18) I wish the 'white' color was more like what Mazda shows on their website. There, it's more of an almost 'ivory' color when in fact in person it's just plain old white.
19) I hate. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE the soft touch vinyl dash. Impossible to clean, get dust off, etc. Seriously, this stuff was forged in hell.
20) arm rest is too short, it needs to stick out more to usable.

Anyway, I think it'll be an OK little SUV. I'm mostly bummed about the iPod thing, the hood vibrating, and the super cheap feel of the interior.

But it sure is pretty...

Not planning to start a flame war, but thought I'd post my thoughts after 1 week of owning my new 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package

1) this car is gorgeous. Love the lines, love the look of nearly every angle.
2) my hood vibrates, even over tiny bumps. It's moving all the time. It makes me sad. I will have to have it looked at.
3) my mirrors vibrate, but not too bad. Both sides about the same, at 45+ they start to move a bit. At 60+ definitely moving.
4) car isn't as loud as I feared, after reading some reviews. Definite wind noise around the mirrors starting at 45 to 50, but it's acceptable.
5) the iPod limitation and screw up in the stereo really have me steamed. Had I known, I would have never bought the car. Absolutely ridiculous on Mazda's part that this slipped through.
6) this is one of the cheapest interiors I've seen on a 'decently priced car'. Seriously, it feels cheap, hollow, and I have already noticeable squeaks and buzzes from several places. I expect it will only get worse.
7) first tank of gas seems to be about 25mpg, mixed driving, which seems about right as the car is breaking in.
8) love the advanced keyless entry system, but sometimes feel like I'm playing a game of whack-a-mole as it locks the door as I move around the car. But still a nice feature.
9) the roof rack doesn't look that cool. Wish I hadn't gotten it, but I think all GT AWD with Tech come with it. I might take it off.
10) seriously want to black out the rims :)
11) the Bose stereo is 'adequate' but not one of the better 'premium' stereos. Lacks much low end since it has no sub. Hard to get the settings to sound 'good' as it only has 'bass and treble'. Needs a midrange control.
12) the Bose Audio Pilot setting has absolutely no apparent effect on the sound quality at all, as far as I can tell :)
13) wish the rear seat would fold down without either taking off the headrest, or moving my driver seat forward. Just a few more inches in the back would have accomplished it!
14) blind spot monitoring seems useful, but I still always look over my shoulder.
15) navigation unit is OK, a bit slow (screen is jerky to update, etc). My high end Garmin is much nicer to look at. But it's adequate, but cumbersome to navigate a bit.
16) I still haven't driven at night to see how the whole 'turning headlight' thing works.
17) Wish the running lights and fog lights and stuff were HID to match the headlights. Looks weird to have them mix and match in my opinion.
18) I wish the 'white' color was more like what Mazda shows on their website. There, it's more of an almost 'ivory' color when in fact in person it's just plain old white.
19) I hate. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE the soft touch vinyl dash. Impossible to clean, get dust off, etc. Seriously, this stuff was forged in hell.

20) arm rest is too short, it needs to stick out more to usable.

Anyway, I think it'll be an OK little SUV. I'm mostly bummed about the iPod thing, the hood vibrating, and the super cheap feel of the interior.

But it sure is pretty...

The rest is totally understandable. These few points? Wow.

Agree a little about the interior, but it depends what you are used to. Its not up to standard with the German manufactures. Never had a single buzz or creak on previous cars but I have had a few on this, managed to get rid of a few, but its not perfect yet. Dust collection, yep, this car is a magnet!

White does seem white to me, no complaints there.

Well Audiopilot is a volume speed adjustment, I added to the Bose by adding a low profile MTX sub to the rear and amp under the seat (custom box fits in place the second partition of the rear floorboard). Yea, the GPS interface is slower reacting than my 2007 and 2009 tomtom hand gps' (which is really disappointing dunno if its hardware or coding). For the longest (before I had my sub) I had a vibrating noise coming from the assembly where you put the gps card, it seems to have gone, but the little plastic tirm around the mirror knob vibrates, which I can probably fixed by apply some spray adhesive under it (just haven't done it).

(This is old I put a kicker sub grille on it now)
20130322_132612_zpsb8f3c594.jpg

You can set the smart key to not auto lock & only lock when you press the button. It's in the settings.

The white does look like normal white when the sun is not shining on it, but with the sun & even at night under street lights, the pearl paint pops.

Last edited:
The rest is totally understandable. These few points? Wow.
Agree. If you want to see a cheap interior, check out the Subaru CrossTrek. That thing is horrible inside. In fact, comparing the Crosstrek to the CX-5 is one of the major reasons I went with Mazda.

And, I love the soft dash. It is one thing that I make sure to make everyone check out when they get in the car the first time.

Everything is understandable to me except the interior complaints. To me, the CR-V by far is the worst in this department. In fact, not many cars in this class are overly stocked inside unless you look at luxury makes.

The entire automotive journalism community agrees that the CX-5's interior quality and fitment is inferior to everything in its class... It is head and shoulders above the Rav4, CRV, Subie, and Tucson.

The entire automotive journalism community agrees that the CX-5's interior quality and fitment is inferior to everything in its class... It is head and shoulders above the Rav4, CRV, Subie, and Tucson.

Pretty sure you meant superior, not inferior.

I'm not really a complainer but all your points are legit. But for me it comes down to what else is available: xc60 electric hybrid not available yet, wife didn't dig the voque, already have a pilot so no crv, jeep GC diesel is going to be trouble for a year or two (my #1 choice btw) and I couldn't talk my wife into an A5 (she wants the tall seating position). Having owned a nc2 for years, the cx-5 was a no brainer.

I think you should take the vehicle back. This also isn't meant to flame or cause trouble, but it is quite evident in your tone you made the wrong purchase. Some of this is Mazda's fault, and of course some of it is yours too. Get out from the CX-5 before it makes you even madder.

it depends what you are used to.

That must be the key and I must be one of the fortunate ones (no rattles or vibrations) because I like everything about the CX-5 that I purchased. I don't have a fully loaded model, but coming from all that I have owned in the past this is my nicest vehicle yet. Maybe it is too early with just 1800 miles, but I like the CX-5 more everyday and have spent a lot more effort keeping it clean.

I think you should take the vehicle back. This also isn't meant to flame or cause trouble, but it is quite evident in your tone you made the wrong purchase. Some of this is Mazda's fault, and of course some of it is yours too. Get out from the CX-5 before it makes you even madder.

I think the OP will be okay, they did say they love the way it looks and noted some other positives. While most folks like to reflect only on the positives, especially having spent a considerable sum, others are more objective and consider both the pluses and minuses as sort of a lessons-learned exercise. As a potential customer, I appreciate these responses. It is nice to read all owner's perspectives - good and bad.

That being said, it took me over a year to warm up to my current vehicle. I have driven it almost 150,000 miles now and I am glad I didn't trade it off based on my first impressions.

Tell me about vibrations and others in here flamed me because I made a complaint.
I am retired so I have only driven 189 miles in the 4 weeks since I purchased mine, but just gonna live with it and use my spare time to make it better.
When I worked I had very high end cars and SUVs, but they also had their problems. My wife's $75,000 2007 BMW X5 had 5 recalls in the first year alone. My $55,000 2008 Mercedes SLK350 had water inside the side mirror turn signals and problems with the seats. So German cars have problems too and I sold them for just enough to pay off the bank.
Regarding my decision to buy the CX-5: I tried ten (10) different SUVs under $30,000 in one month before settling for the CX-5, but it was nearly a tie with the Subie, and the tie breaker was it's really good looks and also being the winner of the Motor Trend small SUV/CUV review.
Best of luck to the OP, welcome to the club...

See, this is what I meant. I'm not sorry I got the car. These were just my observations. My point of reference is my last car, a Hyundai Sonata, and all the interior parts, just feel so much more substantial. Tap the roof, in the CX-5, hollow. Door panels, nothing behind there and thin plastic. This in turn causes a lot more buzzing and rattles and squeaks than if the panels and parts were substantial. That was my observation. Seriously, feel how cheasy and cheap and thin all the plastic around the stereo is, mine is squeaky and buzzing over every bump at this point already, with 250 miles on the car.

As for the other stuff, I wasn't insinuating that it's a terrible car or anything. I think I'll be happy with it, but I think I'm allowed to post the things that I think could be improved. I'm also not saying that any other X is better than this.

As for the white, it's not bad, but seriously, go to the Mazda website and see the awesome deeper white pearl that they show there. I see 'hints' of that in my car, but it looks NOWHERE near what the website does. The same goes for the midnight blue. in person that thing just looks pretty much black.

OK but seriously, how do people clean that soft touch dash? I mean, I've had the car a week and it's filthy, and nothing I've tried so far will do anything except slide the dust around on the soft touch!

I really am not sorry I got the car (except the iPod thing, had I known that I would have passed and found something else). Everything else, just 'wish' lists of things I would have changed if I had the power to.

Like the OP, I had my vehicle (2014 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L) for a week and quite happy with it.
So far:
  • no noticeable shakes/vibrations from the hood or side mirrors
  • great mileage from a still new engine ( 250KM on 20L with A/C & exclusive city driving)
  • love the handling and can hardly wait until the engine has been fully broken in
  • blindside warning is meh (as I always check them) especially if I change to a turn lane that has a concrete barrier
  • can confirm the same issue with the iPod with a non-Bose system. Not a deal breaker with me as the Bluetooth or AUX works fine as a work-around. I came from a 2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT and used the AUX connection so this did not annoy me as much. Is there a factory unit ( year and manufacturer) which is fully compatible with an iPod?
  • the sound from the factory stereo is fine. Choice in music ranges from Classical all the way over to death metal.
  • a bit surprised with no hard liner in the rear wheel wells ( like the ones on the front)
  • annoyed that the tonneau cover is not standard equipment
  • also annoyed that I will need to buy CX-5 specific mats ( esp for winter) for the front driver side

A swifter brush works fine with cleaning the dust off the front dash.

The 2013 Toyota Camry that I drove for three months worked MUCH better with my iPod classic. Loaded it instantly, resumed playback, scrolled through hundreds of artists VERY fast, etc. So I know it can be done for sure.

The stereo is OK. It really needs more low end though. I'm not handy enough, but I might hire someone to wire in a subwoofer. I also might do some sound proofing to the panels, that might help the sound a bit too.

I love the handling too, drives like a car, which is fantastic. Ride a bit rougher than a car obviously, but yes, it's very fun to drive! I'm still getting used to 'gas pedal position' compared to my old car, have to press more to get it to engage.

Did some highway miles today, the onboard read 30.7 for most of it, at 60mph, pretty happy if that's true!

See, this is what I meant. I'm not sorry I got the car. These were just my observations. My point of reference is my last car, a Hyundai Sonata, and all the interior parts, just feel so much more substantial. Tap the roof, in the CX-5, hollow. Door panels, nothing behind there and thin plastic. This in turn causes a lot more buzzing and rattles and squeaks than if the panels and parts were substantial. That was my observation. Seriously, feel how cheasy and cheap and thin all the plastic around the stereo is, mine is squeaky and buzzing over every bump at this point already, with 250 miles on the car.

As for the other stuff, I wasn't insinuating that it's a terrible car or anything. I think I'll be happy with it, but I think I'm allowed to post the things that I think could be improved. I'm also not saying that any other X is better than this.

As for the white, it's not bad, but seriously, go to the Mazda website and see the awesome deeper white pearl that they show there. I see 'hints' of that in my car, but it looks NOWHERE near what the website does. The same goes for the midnight blue. in person that thing just looks pretty much black.

OK but seriously, how do people clean that soft touch dash? I mean, I've had the car a week and it's filthy, and nothing I've tried so far will do anything except slide the dust around on the soft touch!

I really am not sorry I got the car (except the iPod thing, had I known that I would have passed and found something else). Everything else, just 'wish' lists of things I would have changed if I had the power to.

Actually had a 2012 Tucson and Sonata as a company work car. The ergonomics were horrible (e.g. button layout, headrests, window switches, etc), and the materials were far inferior. Granted the Hyundai had a much more decorative and creative styling interior, rather than the utilitarian CX-5, the materials of the CX-5 is definitely better. The headliner of the Hyundai's are practically wax paper that will scuff if you look at it the wrong way. Plastics looked and felt like they were molded by Mattel and Fisher Price, with ugly mold seam lines on practically every item. The plastics are hard and scratchy. Panel gaps are VERY inconsistent. Soft touch points were very minimal as well.

The exterior? Well, look at the black trims of the pillars and window frame. Are they dedicated plastic pieces of high quality like the CX-5? Nope. They're stick on black vinyl!! I won't even start on misc. electronic issues with the cars. Long story short, it was common to bring them into warranty service almost every month. The navigation system on both were so flawed, even after "replacements", that I had better luck punching the unit to make it work properly half the time. I will say that the Hyundai's infotainment system is far superior to the CX-5's for responsiveness and content.

There are only two cars that can hold its own against the CX-5 in terms of interior quality and fitment. The Escape an Tiguan.

Last edited:
Agree. If you want to see a cheap interior, check out the Subaru CrossTrek. That thing is horrible inside. In fact, comparing the Crosstrek to the CX-5 is one of the major reasons I went with Mazda.

We looked at the impreza (the crosstreck version wasn't out yet) and the interior on it looked cheaper than our 10 year old Mazda

Back