Mazda 2.5L Turbo Swap?

:
'16.5 CX-5 AWD
2.5 Turbo engines are now available used. They use a different trans, too. Will my PCM control the turbo (with a reflash) and tranny?

A different ECU or instrument panel will not work for my 2006 MX-5. Both contain the VIN and can only be mated once. Once mated, the car will not start if one is changed. That security system can be disabled by reflashing the ECU. I'd like to avoid losing that.

Last edited:
I would definitely find an engine+transmission combination out of a totalled car if thinking about doing this. It's a lot of labor hours to swap though.

The ECM appears to have different part numbers for turbo and NA. It would be best to snag that, too.

I think that it’s a bad idea unless you have mechanical skills to do what you’re asking for. Modern cars require a lot of to do that kind of swap. Older Mazda are much easier due to front clips ship from Japan and even still lot of kinks have to be worked out since they are right hand drive

I'm sure that the swap is doable but why? That's a TON of trouble to go through for not much gain.

Exactly, all the gremlins that attend the pop up. I’ve helped do motor swaps from JDM right hand drive and it was a nightmare. Cost a lot more money than just turbo and building up the motor. Also, I believe cork sport has a turbo kit that fits the 2.3 NA CX -5. In my humble opinion, I’d reach out to court and find out what details are involved the turbo your existing set up.

Exactly, all the gremlins that attend the pop up. I’ve helped do motor swaps from JDM right hand drive and it was a nightmare. Cost a lot more money than just turbo and building up the motor. Also, I believe cork sport has a turbo kit that fits the 2.3 NA CX -5. In my humble opinion, I’d reach out to court and find out what details are involved the turbo your existing set up.
You could, but then you still have the NA pistons, rods, compression ratio, transmission, torque converter, etc. It would be an upgrade, but a smaller one.

I’m not sure they built that motor. I think it was with stock internals and dyno’d 300whp.

Might be worth reaching out to them for confirmation.

I remember reading somewhere that the tranny and torque converter are different part numbers from the na version tranny and torque converter.

If they are getting 300 whp then that is impressive, and gives us all the more reason to believe the Turbo motor is seriously sandbagged.

I tow a 3200 lb travel trailer. 36% more power, especially in the midrange, would be welcome. The tranny under the turbo is stronger and if I'm gonna load the original trans with that much weight and add 60% more power with a bespoke turbo, I'd expect it to fail. Don't want that.

To trade for a CX-5 turbo or CX-90 will cost me $30k to $40k.

Back