2.3l MZR Engine into the 2?

NewfieArcher

:
2011 Mazda 2
Hey guys I'm going to be doing some serious upgrades to my 2 next year and have been deciding if I want to upgrade the stock engine or do a swap to the 2.3l MZR engine from the speed3. After seeing the turbo 2 featured at sema 2011 (Link below to those who haven't seen this sexy rig) I've been thinking about this non stop. Anyways to those of you who have more auto experience than I do I was hoping to start a debate over the pros and cons of this engine swap.

http://www.carscoops.com/2011/11/hot-mazda2-turbo-with-mazdaspeed3.html

You will have to change your front suspension too. But if you followed the build for the SEMA car you know that

If I had the cash, I'd consider doing the same thing. My biggest concern would be the amount of reinforcement to the chassis you'd need to handle tripling the horsepower in addition to finding and fitting better front hubs, brakes, possible drum to disc conversion for the rear...etc. I mean it can be done, but once you step back from big engine small car fun and look at all the bits and pieces that will need to be upgraded or added to make it anything more than a show car...as much as I love the 2, it's just TOO much power, time, and money for really going all in on this platform. Now if you have the time, money, and ability to fabricate parts...that would be an incredible little project.

Although stuffing the NA version into it, that can probably be done without having to go too crazy to keep it together.

I'm aware of the technical challenges involved but my hope is to contact the group that built it (That info is floating around the web somewhere) and see exactly what would be involved first.

Personally I think the non-turbo 2.3 would make plenty of power. Lots of fab work, rewire. I would follow the build for sure.

I'm aware of the technical challenges involved but my hope is to contact the group that built it (That info is floating around the web somewhere) and see exactly what would be involved first.

Now if you could get that info, that would be awesome. Not having to research the parts so you're not tearing up a front wheel bearing every 10k miles would probably make it a much easier project.

Now if you could get that info, that would be awesome. Not having to research the parts so you're not tearing up a front wheel bearing every 10k miles would probably make it a much easier project.

My thoughts exactly. I calculate things too much to leave such a radical modification to chance haha.

Personally I think the non-turbo 2.3 would make plenty of power. Lots of fab work, rewire. I would follow the build for sure.

I'd rather go all the way and slap that 2.3 turbo into it. Because there would always be that 'what if' situation in my head.

Autobarn Mazda built the speed2 seen at Sema. There local Mazda dealer. There also the same group that built the MazdaSpeed5 that was dominating the One Lap Across America the previous years. ;)

Autobarn Mazda built the speed2 seen at Sema. There local Mazda dealer. There also the same group that built the MazdaSpeed5 that was dominating the One Lap Across America the previous years. ;)

And here I was thinking I'd have to find it on the internet somewhere. Thank you sir for your info!

I suspect you'd end up dropping a serious amount of money into the car to do that swap. Have you thought about doing a turbo kit on the stock motor instead? Should still get you plenty of power and would save you the trouble and expense of, well, having to re-engineer the whole front end of the car lol

I know the SEMA car was being sold for $90k a while ago, so I'm guessing all the work they put into it was quite expensive.

I suspect you'd end up dropping a serious amount of money into the car to do that swap. Have you thought about doing a turbo kit on the stock motor instead? Should still get you plenty of power and would save you the trouble and expense of, well, having to re-engineer the whole front end of the car lol

I agree with you 100%

I think the OP could save himself a lot of time and money by modifying the stock engine with a turbo or supercharger. I might possibly be building my own turbo kit for the 2 and it shouldn't cost me anymore than $5,000.

I agree with you 100%

I think the OP could save himself a lot of time and money by modifying the stock engine with a turbo or supercharger. I might possibly be building my own turbo kit for the 2 and it shouldn't cost me anymore than $5,000.

I have the mechanical and fabrication abilities to add a turbo, but lack any understanding on how to tune with a piggy back or standalone. I've been toying with the idea of buying a Buick Riviera supercharged for a winter car and adding a megasquirt just so I can learn how to tune. What's the worst case, I need a new motor? There are hundreds of moderate mileage L92 V6 engines around with blown intake gaskets I could pick up for a song and dance.

If you end up going the turbo route post plenty of pics and info so the rest of us lesser informed souls can leech off your knowledge!

I'm thinking about all options to be honest. I'm in contact with Autobarn dealership to see what kind of work went into it. If it's too expensive or not worth the time I won't bother but I like going for broke.

I had a Speed3 and I don't think putting that engine in a 2 will be a fun thing to drive.
A custom turbo kit or even a supercharger will be more fun in the lil car.

The main headache about going supercharged is the bracket and idler pulley to run the supercharger, ha yeah tuning, injectors... So superchargers are compact and have their own oil system that doesn't need to be taped into the engine.

I like the idea of a turbo in the 2 also, with turbo's the main headache is making a turbo header, ha yeah tuning, injectors....

I still don't know if the pistons or rods would hold the added pressure, the clutch need upgrading and maybe a lsd.....

I'm thinking of going with this supercharger if I ever decide to boost the 2 http://jacksonracing.com/shop/rotrex-supercharger-units/rotrex-c30-supercharger-units/

In my opinion the swap of 2.3 turbo may be a huge out of balance because hange the weight of entire car and need more rigid on chasis because all that power need to be firm on the ground . Also dhould change the bushings mount engines, suspension ( tough setup) , remember the 2 has made for balance, confortand fun dride, when you put more weight on our chasis you change the entire balance of the ensencial car.

This is my opinion, btw i have a friend of Thai the do this before and the recomend dont do it if your choose is for drag racing... They prefer circuit than drag racing.

The 2.3 doesnt even weigh 75 more pounds then the 1.5. Thats not even comparable to having a passenger sitting next to you. I Really dont think it will make that much of a difference.

If a dealership did the conversion, they probably had some factory assistance... especially if they did a 5 as well. Motor Trend (or maybe Car and Driver?) tried to swap the Speed3 drivetrain into a 5 a few years ago, and they pretty much came away with the conclusion that it would have been much easier to turbocharge the stock 2.3 than to swap the Speed3 engine and management systems into another chassis. I imagine you could build your stock 1.5 and boost it for quite a bit less cash than a whole MS3 swap and still as much power or more.

Back