2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

i12drivemyMP5 said:
I just found the seam & used an exacto knife VERY carefullyopening up the harness section by section until coilwires were free all the way back to the back driver's corner of the motor. I did this with the fuel injector wiring harness completely unplugged from everything & after removing coil wires far enough back, took roll of electrical tape & rewrapped every bit I had opened up in one piece ( about half a roll) all the way back then continued wrapping the coil wires themselves all the way to the shrink wrap already on the end of the coil wires. Very nervewracking & tedious. Just take your time & it'll be OK.

Thanks for that, I'll hunt for that seam and whip out the ol' exacto knife. I just hope I can put it all back together as clean if not cleaner than it is now. Thanks again.

i have been looking around and wanted to know is it only 2000 or can it be a 1998-2000 valve cover?

willkill said:
i have been looking around and wanted to know is it only 2000 or can it be a 1998-2000 valve cover?

you just have to make sure it has the lug for the cam position sensor.

funktownp5 said:
This is my setup, the only reason i changed coils is that the stock coils would

overheat and start to miss. Havent had any problems with these, just

rearranging stuff to make them fit.

What makes you think that they're overheating?

Did the swap eliminate the issue?

Kooldino said:
What makes you think that they're overheating?

Did the swap eliminate the issue?

Because the coils were overheating, one set actually burst from being so hot.

I had to carry an extra set with me in the summer months just incase, which

i had to swap packs more than one time. I havent had any problems since i

switched to the 1.8 packs.

funktownp5 said:
Because the coils were overheating, one set actually burst from being so hot.

Holy s***. Guess I can't argue with that!

i had to swap packs more than one time. I havent had any problems since i

switched to the 1.8 packs.

Cool.

1.8 coil paks

i know some of you guys went this route, but r there any long term issues using 1.8 instead of 2.0 paks? thanks ( 01 es protege )

I would like to do this swap but my MAM exhaust mani would get int the way. I guess i could always find a different mounting location.

eszoom said:
i know some of you guys went this route, but r there any long term issues using 1.8 instead of 2.0 paks? thanks ( 01 es protege )

i've been running these for 3 years with no problems!

626 valve cover

can anybody shoot a pic of this cam position sensor mount i keep hearing about or where is it on cover? thanks!

this sounds interesting. i'm gonna have to look into this when i get some money. i agree with the previous post. can anyone post a pic of the 626 valve cover. maybe it was already previously posted and i misunderstood that it was the 626 valve cover in the pic...

It's on the "side" of the valve cover. See where the big flat spot is, on the opposite side of the oil fiter? Well, look at the side of it, and it's the thing plugged in there.

I was just about to do this conversion then I realized.. why bother :p

I'm sure there was a reason Mazda went to the coil on plug system. I'll just stick to that. Also, it means I won't have to relocate my boost controller since it sits right where the 1.8 coilpack goes. $34.98 for two ignition coils from napaonline.com, $41.66 for NGK plug wire set and 4 OEM MSP plugs (PZFR6F-11) and I'm set for a while :)

Got parts...

Well, some of them...

Got the coil-pack including bracket from Signature Mazda in Rmd, BC for $43.00 CAD, including taxes.(cool) Everyone else here in bc was selling it for $80-90 CAD

Nobody here in town has in stock the 4453 NGK wires. Bought the $100.00 BOSCH 7mm wires for the price of the NGK's...$74.00 CAD, including taxes.

(Everyone that sold the NGK's quoted me $66-69 CAD, they just didn't have them in stock and it would've taken 3-6 weeks to get them in.)

Looked for a 2000 626 Valve cover and only one place in the lower-Mainland had one FS valve cover...with the cam position sensor...unfortunately, it also had the same posts as my P5's valve cover...(pissed)

So, it looks like I'll have to use my stock cover with the new wires...(shrug)

Can anyone tell me if I have to look for a valve cover that is pre 2K? I guess a 98 would be best...?

N E help would be greatly appreciated. Don't really wan to mangle a perfectly good set of wires...

Thanks

WHAT?! 43 from the dealership for oem? Hell I'm going to call them and have them ship it internationally at those prices.. I gotta see what price they have for the 2.0 coil packs.

Well, tried it and it didn't work.

Got a CEL...multiple misfire...

It seems the wire boot is a bit too short and does not wrap itself around the plug as well as it should...

Or maybe, the wires were too close to each other (actually touching)...

Can't tell...

N E ideas?

Thanks!

P5inder said:
Well, tried it and it didn't work.

Got a CEL...multiple misfire...

It seems the wire boot is a bit too short and does not wrap itself around the plug as well as it should...

Or maybe, the wires were too close to each other (actually touching)...

Can't tell...

N E ideas?

Thanks!

if you didn't replace your valve cover, the wire boots will be too short. thats why i will recomend getting a 1.8 valve cover.

So, the 1.8L valve cover will fit the 2.0L head w/o problem?

If so, I guess I need to get the 1.8L with the cam sensor, correct?

If the regular valve cover will not allow the plug boots to fit properly, why are those running the 2.0L 626 valve cover not having problems? 2.0L valve cover is a 2.0L valve cover, isn't it?

Last edited:
Back