1st full fill to dry tank drive

I have a relatively short (8 mile) commute and Costco is about halfway between my home and work. They have quality fuel and the lowest price around here. I use the low fuel indicator as notice that I should start thinking about which of the next 3 or 4 passes will be convenient to fill up, unless I happen to notice that I'm below 1/8 tank before that or know I'll be taking a longer trip.

If its after hours, or I don't have 10 minutes to spare, I'll defer filling up. I have no qualms with allowing it to go below zero remaining miles, my only concern is the probability of actually running out of fuel.

I'll accept that I may be increasing the probability of a fuel pump failure in the next 10 years from something like 1 in 1000 to 10 in 1000, for the convenience and efficiency of saving hours of my life in unnecessary additional fill-ups.

Deferring fill up an additional 10-30 miles will save me a few stops a year. That's several hours over the life of the car.

For those who are fill up at 1/4 tank, you are wasting days of your life with unnecessary fills. I'd rather spend a few hours, on the off chance its necessary at some point in my life, replacing a fuel pump myself. It will certainly be far more gratifying than seeking, waiting for, and pumping fuel.

I'll accept that I may be increasing the probability of a fuel pump failure in the next 10 years from something like 1 in 1000 to 10 in 1000, for the convenience and efficiency of saving hours of my life in unnecessary additional fill-ups.

http://www.marchpump.com/blog/what-is-dry-running/

I don't know what the actual increase in risk is (and neither do you), but it doesn't really matter as I eliminate the risk altogether by filling the tank up proactively.

Deferring fill up an additional 10-30 miles will save me a few stops a year. That's several hours over the life of the car.

For those who are fill up at 1/4 tank, you are wasting days of your life with unnecessary fills. I'd rather spend a few hours, on the off chance its necessary at some point in my life, replacing a fuel pump myself. It will certainly be far more gratifying than seeking, waiting for, and pumping fuel.

What an absolute joke, lol. If you can't plan your fill up to fit in your routine, well..

6 pages telling a guy when to buy gas. His car, his money, his life. Buy it when you want and God bless you.

http://www.marchpump.com/blog/what-is-dry-running/

I don't know what the actual increase in risk is (and neither do you), but it doesn't really matter as I eliminate the risk altogether by filling the tank up proactively.

What an absolute joke, lol. If you can't plan your fill up to fit in your routine, well..

I obviously value my time more than you do yours.

Running the pump while dry is a very bad idea. Running the pump to dry occasionally should be tolerated by the design but something I would avoid - not to mention the inconvenience. Running the fully primed pump with the tank less full is what I've described doing. I have no intention of running to dry, but I appreciate the guy who did and shared his result. The odds are strongly in his favor that his fuel pump will not fail while he owns that car.

I've run out of fuel exactly 1 time in the last 30 years, and that was in a newly acquired 15 year old car in which I didn't know the gauge was broken. I've never had a problem with a fuel pump in a car. On average I've driven my cars for 8 years, most well used before I got them.

If my Mazda proves and exception and needs a new fuel pump at some point. I'll put one in myself and adjust accordingly. Not a big deal. Easier and less expensive than an alternator.

My earlier post to which you responded explained in detail how I plan my fill up to fit in my routine.

Last edited:
I have a relatively short (8 mile) commute and Costco is about halfway between my home and work. They have quality fuel and the lowest price around here. I use the low fuel indicator as notice that I should start thinking about which of the next 3 or 4 passes will be convenient to fill up, unless I happen to notice that I'm below 1/8 tank before that or know I'll be taking a longer trip.

If its after hours, or I don't have 10 minutes to spare, I'll defer filling up. I have no qualms with allowing it to go below zero remaining miles, my only concern is the probability of actually running out of fuel.

Your logic escapes me. If you fill your tank when it's 1/4th full versus when it's 1/32nd full the period is still the same and you will still spend the same amount of your (apparently much more valuable than our) time pumping gas. But, to each their own and it's your (extremely valuable) time and your car. Carry on.

Then there's the issue of extended periods of partially full gas tanks and the increased risk of condensation.

Back