1997 protege 1.5D Dashboard dead, auto tranny stuck in park, poor engine response

sch72

:
1997 Mazda Protege SE
Yesterday my 1997 Protege with about 97000 km. on the clock was used to go to a local restaurant. After lunch the engine started ok, auto trans stuck in park so called Good Sam emergency towing service. The tow service guy got the transaxle unstuck by inserting an allen key in the little hatch beside the shift lever so was able to drive it home. Checked and found that the single fuse for dash, airbags, and auto transaxle control was blown. Put a new fuse in, started, unlocked transaxle ok, blew second fuse so back to square one. There must be a short someplace or some fried electronics.

The body is good, engine runs fine. (5w20 synthetic oil, all belts replaced a couple of years ago.) Fix or tow away?

This is the car the wife uses mostly for going to grocery stores, etc. and total mileage on it lately has been about 2500 km. per year as I am retired. Our other vehicle is an F150 Supercrew that the wife doesn't like parking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Its fixed

Today I bought some more fuses then disconnected the battery and removed the front and rear consoles for a visual inspection. Eew! Got the shop vac and cleaned out a lot of accumulated junk. Crawled under the dash with a trouble light and did not see anything that looked like it might have been overheated. Wiring in the console also looked OK so hooked the battery back up, replaced the blown fuse, started the car and everything was back to normal for a test drive. Re assembled the console, went for another test drive and the speedometer and instruments are working again.

Back