18 x 8.5 50mm offset wheels on MS3?

SSMS3

:
'13 CWP
I've searched but didn't get enough info to make a decision.
Anyone running rims with these specs that can provide feedback?

Have an opportunity for a good deal on rims with those specs but need to know if I'll have fitment issues. Currently at stock ride height but I do plan to lower the car an inch or so in the future.

Sounds like 18 x 8 with a 50mm offset is not a problem so I'm hoping the additional half inch will be ok.

I think an 18x8.5 would be pushing it, especially if you plan on lowering the car. IIRC I've read where some guys notice rubbing on 18x8s when the suspension is under load.

Thanks for your response

This would be an expensive lesson so I'll hold out for a 7.5" - 8" width and the proper offset

Depends on what tires you're sticking on them. I don't think the 8.5" wide rim will be the problem, it will be that fact that any tire put on that rim will be wider then on an 8" or 7.5" rim. We know that 245s don't rub (except the fender liners once in a while at the back in the middle of the tire) on an 8" rim, so the question is how much wider is the contact patch when the same tire is on a 8.5" rim. It may work, but who knows until someone tries it. I bet 235 would work, but then you don't really need an 8.5" rim for those tires, so you would just be adding weight.

A number of people have OZ ultraleggeras in 18x8 which have a 48 offset, we need one of them to try some 245s and see what happens. That will give us a good idea of how much room we have to work with.

You listening Swampass!!!

LOL, ya. Swampass is gonna need new tires cuz he put the 215s on the 18x8s. Which is what I'm gonna do at first.

SSMS3 said:
I've searched but didn't get enough info to make a decision.
Anyone running rims with these specs that can provide feedback?

Have an opportunity for a good deal on rims with those specs but need to know if I'll have fitment issues. Currently at stock ride height but I do plan to lower the car an inch or so in the future.

Sounds like 18 x 8 with a 50mm offset is not a problem so I'm hoping the additional half inch will be ok.

Well I know one thing for sure if you want a wider wheel you dont want a higher offset, that sucks in your wheel, I had a thread similar to this a few months ago and noone had any real answers. I would look into an offset around 30 or 35, that will push out the wheel to allow for the width. Im not sure if it would work out though, hopefully someone can answer this question straight up for you! Im also interested to know. Im figuring 18x8 with a 40-42ish offset. but not set in stone....

OEM RX8 wheels are 18 x 8 with a 50mm offset and they look really good on our cars. I've seen plenty of slammed 3's with that combo also and little to no rubbing.

Wouldn't these wheels (8.5" wide) I'm looking into evenly split that extra half inch of width in both directions? Quarter inch to the inside and outside?

Yep, but depending on the offset, it will move the wheel further out with respect to the wheel hub. An exaggeration would be having an inch of tread sticking out past the fender. You don't want to stray too far from stock offset of +52. So on an 18x8.5, that's an extra half inch on either side, assuming +52 offset. Dropping down to a +48 offset makes the wheel stick out almost another quarter inch on that same 8.5in wide rim.

Back