Ahh, I must admit however, my older gaming rig had 2 74GB raptor running in raid 0, and I used a 320GB seagate for storage :)

The raptor series were fast and didn't break while I had them, but they were too noisy.

omg raid 0.

for some freakin reason all of the dev workstations here have 2 250gb drives set up in a raid 0.. as the default setting when we receive them from dell. Any time a system comes back to IT to get reimaged I set it up to a raid 1. No one has complained about the reduced storage space yet :p

Its was my gaming machine, so it had the OS and games. No data or anything important on it. If it crashed or failed(which it never did), it was no big deal since nothing but games were on it...

Most of servers here are raid 5 or 0 +1, depending upon the purpose of the machine.

I've had three 120 gig and two 160 gig WD running for years without a problem. I've installed two more WD in builds I've done for other people with no problem. I have had a couple of Maxtor's fail so I stay away from them. I was under the impression that Seagate was a budget brand and Hitachi was top of the line with the lowest search times.

My two 120's are a raid 0 and the 160's are IDE that I use for long term storage.

This thread makes me think it's time to back up some family photos again.

chuyler1 said:
BlueRay maybe? Prolly cheaper than Tape.

doubt it. We do 5tb of backups weekly here.. currently it is run via a script and a big tape array.. and we're moving to a disk-disk-tape system so that the backup task will cause much less of an interruption of service. BluRay disks are crazy pricy (like 1 dollar per gigabyte at Circuit City), and that's just the 25GB disks.. dunno if the 50s and drives to burn them are available publicly yet. 500gb = 20 bluray disks = well yeah 500 dollars, just to back it up. hell buy a few 500gb drives for that price and do a weekly drive swap with a friend to keep one off-site.

I really think using a hard drive is the best backup method for personal stuff. Just always buy two and either do a Raid 1 or use the second drive in an enclosure with good backup software.

as an fyi.

dell did a study and found out that the failure rate on drives were
related to the heat of the drives. So they have since told all drive companies that they will only buy from them if they could bring down the drive temperatures. so the cooler you can keep your drives the longer they should last. this has been set as a top priority in all drive makers.

older drives ran MUCH slower so were a bit cooler by nature. as drives
got more complicated the internal heat has increased until they noticed the failure mode.

another fyi - seagate bought maxtor for their customers - they are pretty much junking the maxtor designs.

another fyi - wdc - at one point was using IBM technology to build their drives. but have since switched back to someone else.

I've noticed that many cases on the market today have a port for an exhaust fan that would cool the HDD's nicely. A bank of hard drives can be cooled pretty effectively with one strategically placed fan.

Thanks for the info about the study. It makes a good argument that there is no such thing as too much cooling for a computer.

yashart@work said:
Its was my gaming machine, so it had the OS and games. No data or anything important on it. If it crashed or failed(which it never did), it was no big deal since nothing but games were on it...

Most of servers here are raid 5 or 0 +1, depending upon the purpose of the machine.
Yeah, I have built several RAID 5 0+1 NAS/SAS boxes here with 4, 500GB drives and Adaptec 64MB caching controller cards. I have built a few desktops with dual Xeons, SLI and 4 Raptors in a RAID 0+1 with a 300GB main drive.
The next NAS will be used to store digital media and then it will be streamed across a D-LINK media extender to some 50'' plasmas.

Last edited:
MinnowGT said:
as an fyi.

related to the heat of the drives. So they have since told all drive companies that they will only buy from them if they could bring down the drive temperatures. so the cooler you can keep your drives the longer they should last. this has been set as a top priority in all drive makers.

older drives ran MUCH slower so were a bit cooler by nature. as drives
got more complicated the internal heat has increased until they noticed the failure mode.

another fyi - seagate bought maxtor for their customers - they are pretty much junking the maxtor designs.

another fyi - wdc - at one point was using IBM technology to build their drives. but have since switched back to someone else.
Funny thing is a while back (Oct 2000) Maxtor bought Quantum..bleck (pukey)
Quantum Fireball ****** a I hated those things.

Kinda funny that Maxtor bought Quantum for 1.3 billion in 2000 and Seagate only paid 1.9 billlion for Maxtor in 06, lol.

Last edited:
I have a quantum from my first Compaq Presario and it still works. I have an OS on it in case I have to do a disk scan or transfer files or something.

Kansei said:
[for some freakin reason all of the dev workstations here have 2 250gb drives set up in a raid 0.. as the default setting when we receive them from dell
yeah, the funny part about it is that Raid 0 might as well be a useless gimmic when paired with windows XP.. (ughdance)

I really think using a hard drive is the best backup method for personal stuff. Just always buy two and either do a Raid 1 or use the second drive in an enclosure with good backup software.
I agree, that and removeable media always has the chance of being scratched, or lost, or droped.. ect.

Hmm, it looks like tape drives have come down a bit since the last time I checked. You can get a DDS4 for a reasonable price...however, hard drives are still cheaper.
yeah, tape's come down because HDD storage has gotten so frecking cheap. You can easily find 300GB HDD"s for $100. Which is about 1/4 of what it would cost for 1/5 of the space on a tape drive, and then tape's also so much slower in read/write.

dell's full of s*** >_>

You'll find many 10-15K SCSI drives 10+ years old on ebay going strong.

it's more to do with how dense HDD"s are getting on older parallel reading/writing head technology, and the fact that they're using multiple discs which are made of composite metals rather than what the older HDD discs were made of: glass. The fact that they're being made of cheaper parts has some play with it too.

Yeah, I have built several RAID 5 0+1 NAS/SAS boxes here with 4, 500GB drives and Adaptec 64MB caching controller cards. I have built a few desktops with dual Xeons, SLI and 4 Raptors in a RAID 0+1 with a 300GB main drive.
yeah, I have a RAID 1 right now, but that's primarly because I overclock my computer and I'm really just too lazy to do a re-install if something goes corrupt.

Last edited:
Well if the data is worth it to you, it can be recovered assuming the heads didn't all somehow crash onto the platters scraping everything to hell. It isn't the easiest of processes though, hence why it is pricey. I know I've lost a ton of pics of my car (easily 500 or so) from a hard drive failing, but I have low-res versions of them on the cardomain that I haven't updated/touched in forever so they aren't totally gone. I say unless the data is totally critical, just live and learn. Backups for the win.

i heard Best buy only charges around $500 for recovery if its a hardware failure...

dont mean to threadjack but while we are in this topic; whats everyones preference for backup software?
I have become pretty paranoid recently; and i just ran and bought a new external drive. What would you recommend for backup soft?

Useless post alert!!!

This thread reminded me of this comic from last weekend:

Attachments

• ca061001.gif
    ca061001.gif
    56.7 KB · Views: 77
If it's a 60gb from a few years ago, I'll guess that it has 2 platters... so yeah you're dealing with 4 head armatures, no fun.

nvm: just checked the article and it looks like it is talking about replacing the chip.. I was thinking taking the circuitry and/or head and servo stuff from a known working identical drive.

Kansei said:
If it's a 60gb from a few years ago, I'll guess that it has 2 platters... so yeah you're dealing with 4 head armatures, no fun.

nvm: just checked the article and it looks like it is talking about replacing the chip.. I was thinking taking the circuitry and/or head and servo stuff from a known working identical drive.
Plus you need a freaking clean room to do it in :(
Not very likely to happen in a standard work/home environ.

Latest posts

Back