10" Shallow Mount Subs -

:
CX-5, 2.2 Diesel, 2013
Hi
I wanted to install a couple of subs, I would make a custom enclosure each side of the trunk so I don't loose any trunk space and I get to keep the spare wheels and tools.

I measure that I can fit in a variety of 10" shallow mount subs, I am just not sure what to go for as there are several options.

Alpine SWR-T10 looks great and would fit, price is very high but i'm told the end result will be fairly good SQ wise, the other brands I have looked at all look very well nasty and cheep and I need to get some feedback .
Id like to hear feed back from anyone with experience on the shallow sub woofers in general to find out if SQ and good bass is possible .

If you were doing the install like i'm talking about what subs would you choose, considering its custom fi-glass enclosure to fill the recess / gap in the rear panels in the trunk, mounting depth is about 90mm max and 10" is the only size that will fit.

Suggestions welcome .

Perhaps if I build something that uses subs that most people would be happy to use I could have a mould made so they can be manufactured on demand and then its simply plug and play for the other members if they wanted to do the same thing.

Go to the mobile audio tab and then the subwoofer drivers tab. From there they have the TW3 TW5v2 for shallow mount drivers and W3V3 for their mid line but fantastic subwoofers. You almost can't go wrong even with their cheapest WXV2 woofers, which I have in my 5 (10"). Within those drivers categories will be all the specifications and information you'll need to build the perfect enclosure. They also make enclosures and pre built systems. I buy most of my products from Crutchfield. I just picked up a Pioneer Stage 4 amplifier and an Audio Controls DQ-61 for a great price. I currently have their tiny 8" micro-sub with an old Alpine 3548 2 channel amplifier pushing 160 watts RMS into it and it's an awesome subwoofer that gives me more than all the bass I could ever need. That micro-sub has the 8" W3V3 driver in it. I've listened to many other brands and I'm telling you JL-Audio makes some of the best subwoofers on the market. When selecting an amplifier to drive which ever subwoofer you may choose make sure you look under the specifications tab to select the optimum recommended wattage for the particular driver. They have a graph that shows the sweet spot for each one.

If you're putting it in those recesses with a custom fiberglass box not sure you really need to be worried about shallow mount. You can check a picture of what I did there with an MDF box because I didn't want to spend the money for fiberglass. I used an Alpine Type R 8" which I think was over 4" deep so it's not really an issue. It's more about finding a sub that works in a small enclosure so I would pay more attention to that. I posted a pic of what I did, 4th post of this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840138-Subwoofer-placement-idea

I haven't installed it yet, but I have that 10" shallow from JLaudio(crutchfield link above).
You have to consider the cubic feet requirements also. I'm planning to put it in the spare wheel.
One "bad" thing about this speaker is, that it can be installed only, top mount. Plastic frame is not removable and the top has a slope, it's not flat.
In reviews, people are saying that it sounds almost as good as a regular sub.

Last edited:
How many watts are you going to put, whats your rough budget and whats the mounting depth

Hmm, I want to use the cavity areas in each side of the trunk to install some flush mounted shallow 10" subs ( one on each side ) , then if possible install the amplifiers in the hollow part of the rear trims on each side so essentially the whole panel is flush , this way it will soft of look OEM and everything will be self contained and i wont loose any trunk space and i still get to retain the spare wheel / tools etc

Subs will fit fine and but finding an AMP that will fit op top in the section over the wheel arch is problematic, most amps are not that small, the Rockford fosgate PBR.300.1 and PBR.50.1 will fit but im worried they are just so small and running them at 1 ohm could be quite hard and get real hot, RF also do a shallow sub so i'm quite keen at having one brand,

Something like this
CX-5-RF.jpg

Last edited:
I also see that the MTX thunder500.1 and the MTX Thunder 1000.1 amps will probably fit in the recess above the wheel arch , these are 6.3" or 160mm high so would be a tight squeeze but possible, MTX also do their shallow sub too so my single brand thing would be ticked off the list, I wonder how the Rockford fosgate compares to MTX as far as quality and output / performance.

Rockford Punch PBR.300 or 500 are 4.25" or 108mm high so easily fit anywhere
MTX 6.3" or 160mm could just fit without sticking out too much at all

If you have some experience with either id like to hear your thoughts

I like the Type R shallow but i cant fit the alpine amps where i want them so its not an option, PLus they are 600RMS each and id need like to masssssiv ass amps and all up the cost is insane

1508s are 300-600 rms just saying.they really are great subs.tight and accurate bass.but im not you idk what kind of music you like or what your vision is

Def go JL audio! I have a JL powerwedge w/ 10" W3V3 that pounded in my old Accord and soon to be in my CX5GT. Very compact, light and angled to fit perfectly behind rear seats! Just need to decide on a line out converter.

Def go JL audio! I have a JL powerwedge w/ 10" W3V3 that pounded in my old Accord and soon to be in my CX5GT. Very compact, light and angled to fit perfectly behind rear seats! Just need to decide on a line out converter.

Definitely go for an Audio Controls LC2 if just for the sub with the accubass circuitry and the volume knob to go with it. I might have one for sale but haven't decided yet because I bought an Audio Controls DQ-61 with time delay and currently testing and tuning it. It is also a line driver so you get a very nice clean strong signal for your amplifier of up to 9 volts. Also currently testing the Pioneer PRS 4200 stage 4 amplifier too. I have the 8 inch W3V3 in a tiny ported and tuned enclosure made by JL and for a ported enclosure the SQ is awesome.

I ended up ordering all the bits for the sub install.
I wanted one brand and something that fits without me chopping up stuff in the car, lets me retain spare wheel and not loose trunk space , this lead me to choose the Rockford Fosgate stuff

I will have 2 x 10 " P3S102 Subs each powered by a PBR500x1 amp, these will hopefully fitted flush into a custom fi-glass enclosure that will use the cavity space above and behind the rear wheel arch following the interior trim panel , Should be a fun little experiment.

Some bits arrived, I mucked around for some test fitting, wow it going to be a tight squeeze but a fun challenge.
E1751108-C70C-44C0-8EB2-067BD9D940B6.jpg~original
1BDA7E97-5C95-4BF6-913D-5471B204DAE4.jpg~original

Looks like a good start! How many cubic ft. or air do you predict you'll get from there?

Back