1.6 ZM going forged

looks good bro, the manifold came out really good. are you going to leave the valve cover like that or going to work on it some more?

gonna go with the black wrinkle paint again but shoud look cleaner minus the letters. plus I'm gonna give it a bit of gloss and added protection with a couple light coats of engine enamel.

engine got pulled and torn down. cylinder #4 that had bad compression and 50% on a leak-down test had a cracked piston. lucky for me it didn't break off completely. all you had to do was scratch at the crack just a bit and then a piece just chipped off. (pics of it posted)

I'm going a different route with the pistons. the bottom end from the B6 miata is supposedly the same as the ZM protege but for some reason two different ZM people had to skim 1mm off their miata pistons to fit the ZM. human error? some variable between the two motors? don't know don't care. no need to risk losing warranties (parts and labor) and alter the pistons.

the only difference between both motor is the head gasket. Use the b6 ze head gasket

B6 ze: 1.1mm # b6dc-10-271
BP: 0.7mm
ZM: 0.4mm

HKS also made multiply metal gaskets for B6ZE 1.2mm and 2.0mm.

it maiby simply that way?

Bannire-Mazda-1.jpg

Last edited:
i've put the b6ze one on my zm stick there with copper gazket spray and arp studs
and evrething goes great

on mazda motorsport, it cost about 40$

DSC00693.jpg

painted the valve cover in wrinkle black. definitely came out better this time throwing it in the oven versus using a hair dryer last time. when it's fully dry I'll throw a couple light coats of clear engine enamel.

valve cover came out great. 2 hours in the oven at 200 degrees, then followed with two light coats of clear engine enamel.

parts do in this week.......awr radiator, quaife lsd, oil cooler

damn ricers and their damn put-puts.
nah, j/k about the ricer part.
this is gonna be the fastest tweed covered, 1.6L Protege out there. Tell us how you feel. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex corriveau
i've put the b6ze one on my zm stick there with copper gazket spray and arp studs
and evrething goes great

on mazda motorsport, it cost about 40$

what all do you have done to your 1.6?

the only difference between both motor is the head gasket. Use the b6 ze head gasket

B6 ze: 1.1mm # b6dc-10-271
BP: 0.7mm
ZM: 0.4mm

HKS also made multiply metal gaskets for B6ZE 1.2mm and 2.0mm.

it maiby simply that way?

this is info I got from Mazda:

B6 specs:
Bore-78.000
Connecting rod length - 133.90+/-.05
CR Big hole bore - 21.838-21.890

ZM specs:
Bore - 78.000 - 78.019
CR length - 132.90 +/-.05
CR BHB - ????? not in any of my info.

actually you'd rather wish the B6 forged internals were interchaneable with the ZM. I never came across arias pistons for the B6. so the question is does speedcircuit have the capacity to handle the overwhelming demand from the zm crowd. think about that mister.

Back