1,556,002 cubic inch diesel engine

That thing must be SO loud! Think if it was a turbo diesel how big the turbine would be!

my friend use to design engine parts for catapillar. He sent me a pic of him in side the combustion chamber. he is not a small guy either.

haha yeah well caterpillar makes engine that produce up to 13000hp(or so) .. .those things must be HUGE

It is turbocharged. Instead of having one HUGE turbo they have several smaller turbos. I just watched a Modern Marvels thing on it. Gotta love the History Channel.

well it looks like a single piston is bigger than your car lol

bumpin_p5 said:
Sign me up for one. I'll put it in my MP5... or the other way around. LOL!!!

Not at all. The engine is super efficiant. It's used in the huge cargo ships. It's super super reliable and very durable. For the amount of hours those engines have to run a regular engine would die.

doesn't dieasel engines have to pretty much have forged internals since they get combustion by compression.

if you read the article you'll see that it's % of efficienty is higher than a regular engine. i think something like 50% of the fuel's energy is transfered into motion which is more than regular engines iirc

i dont know ... i was just bored at work and started looking at caterpillar's website to see what kind of high power engines they had then the words "biggest diesel engine" came to mind so i checked google hehe

but looking at those compression levels i think they probably do

noclue119 said:
doesn't dieasel engines have to pretty much have forged internals since they get combustion by compression.

noice. This is really cool to see the workings of a diesel engine. Everything is blown up and easy to see. Plus, no busted knuckles trying to get at cramped spaces such as on our motors.

When they work on those engines they have to drain the oil in the crank assembly and climb into the crank housing.

Back