How To: Removing Badges & Fill Holes (P5)

kidkorrupt

Contributor
HOW TO: Removing Back Badges and Filling Holes (mp5)

Here a little guide to badge removal. Its pretty simple stuff so most of you all probably wont have to read this. The Overall time for just badge removal took about 40 minutes including clean-up.

i only removed and filled my protege5 badge but it should be the same for the other back badges

The way I did it was with a hairdryer and Dental floss. I know there are other things but this is what I had laying around and it worked for me.

Start by using the hairdryer to heat up one side of the badge. Keep the heat constant until the area is reasonably warm. Use dental floss doubled up, just one strand will snap, and gently saw back and forth in the crack between the badge and the car. Slowly, by heating a small area and sawing at it with dental floss, you will be able to remove the whole badge.

The tricky part is that Mazda uses two pegs in their protege5 badge to guide the badge on. When you get to one of these pegs heat that area with the hairdryer and slowly pry up until the peg is slightly out of the hole. Wait till you have both pegs slightly out of the hole before yanking the badge out..If you yank one side completely out with the other side still in it might break or bend your protege5 badge.

When the badge is out there will be glue residue left over on the mp5. I used my finger to rub off most of the glue. If some areas are hard to rub off use the blowdryer to heat it up. After only small specks of glue remain use goof-off to clean the rest. You can use car wax to give the back a nice clean finish after all the glue is gone.

removal.jpg

=======================================================
Now you choose the badge you want to put on. Ignore the rx-7 one I got in the picture. If you are putting on the JDM silver Familia or EDM 323F you can leave the holes and just plug these badges in. I recommend using 2-part epoxy glue to make sure no one will steal your rare badges.

If you want to fill the holes or apply the JDM sport20 familia badge read on.

badges.jpg

I put on a sport20 badge but I still filled the holes so my badge would have more area to bond to and I was worried about rain or water going in between cracks in the badge and messing up wires or causing rust. Just the perfectionist part of me getting the best of my judgement =P

Open your trunk, there is a plastic cover that covers all the wiring and the area you need to get to for the holes. Below I circled the clips used to attach the plastic cover. The other 2 clips are symmetric to the ones pictures. I just pulled off the cover, its probably not the right way to do it. If you just yank it off you will have to re-bend the clips into shape. When putting the cover back remember that the clips attach to the plastic cover and snap into the trunk.

Those white squares circled are styrene plastic, I used it to cover the holes on the inside of the trunk. I used a liquod welding agent called weld-rx that melted the styrene onto my inner trunk ensuring water-proof holes.

trunk.jpg

Here I am filled the holes.Steps below:

-1. This is what it looks like with the styrene on the inside of the hole. The styrene stops any water from going in and acts as a stopper for the auto body putty so it wont go all over the inside of the trunk lid.

-2. The putty I am using is Bondo. You mix it in a 4 to 1 ratio and it cures in about 30 minutes. The benefits of it is that it cures quickly and sands very easily (like soft pine for those of you that work with wood). Somone on the board recommended another product, forgot the name. If you want something a lot more durable use epoxy putty (NOTE: not glue, putty!). It cures rock hardthe downfall is it is harder to sand and cures slower.

-3. After the bondo has cured I cover areas around the holes with tape to stop scratching while sanding.

-4. Starting with 150 grit sandpaper I slowly sand and use higher and higher grit sandpaper until the back is smooth. A good way to make sure your sanding is good is to close your eyes and feel the area you sanded. It should be perfectly smooth, if you feel any uneven areas sand more!

back.jpg

After I was done sanding I glued the sport 20 badge. I used epoxy glue on the back so no one would jack it. Basically the glue comes in two parts that you put on a mixing surface and mix. After you mix you have about 10 minutes before it starts to cure. The stuff I used holds 1500 pounds per square inch so if you can steal my badge you deserve it, lol. Put on a little amount in the MIDDLE ONLY. Dont get any near the edges because you dont want it leaking out when pressing the badge on. Use a card to wipe away the glue so you only have a very thin layer, trust me..itll be enough.

When putting on the badge I used a level to make sure it was on straight. You should use something similar so after all your hard work your not left with a crooked badge

sport20.jpg

Edit in- THANKS MOD(S) FOR MOVING THIS TO THE CORRECT SECTION

Last edited:
wow, vrey nice. i want to remove my badges but wont because it would leave holes. how do you think it would look if i filled them like you did and then painted them? can you get paint from the dealership to match the car?

the dealer does sell touch up paint that is the exact color as whatever mp5 you bought.

it comes as a spray so i imagine you can paint over the filled holes cleanly so your entire back is clean. I would just mask with newspaper and masking tape and do very light layers from far away until the holes are the same color as the body panel. After the paint dries remove tape and newspaper.

I have never done this though so i'm not sure......

Re: HOW TO: Removing Back Badges and Filling Holes (mp5)

kidkorrupt said:

Edit in- THANKS MOD(S) FOR MOVING THIS TO THE CORRECT SECTION

Glad to help ;) Awesome "How To" (thumb)

Do you know if there are holes behind the "flying M" logo in the middle of the hatch?

kidkorrupt said:
the dealer does sell touch up paint that is the exact color as whatever mp5 you bought.

it comes as a spray so i imagine you can paint over the filled holes cleanly so your entire back is clean. I would just mask with newspaper and masking tape and do very light layers from far away until the holes are the same color as the body panel. After the paint dries remove tape and newspaper.

I have never done this though so i'm not sure......

i was thinking to use the touch up paint i got for that reason. buut, it might look kinda goofy, well see, ill try it over spring break maybe. I dont have the spray though i got the littttlle glass container with the cap-brush. Its not that great and ive used it before and you can sorta tell that its touch up, like it doesnt blend in as smoothly as a real paint job. i think i might try this too for the mazda logo

the back "mazda" and "M" both SHOULD have 2 holes each. For the "mazda" i'm sure there are holes, for the"M" i'm not sure but most likely there are.

zackfarms. Sorry, i was mistaken, just called the dealer and they dont have spray. spray always looks better than that brush on stuff. If you do a websearch you can find places that has the EXACT same color as your car but be warned, the cheapest is $15 not including clear coat. All you need is the color code for your color, for the mp5 silver it's 22V, and you can order the spray cans.

For my car i used Duplicolor silver spray which is available at kragen. It was only $5 a can and matches pretty well.

Dubes said:
anyone know how to get off the dealer sticker they put on? will the same idea work?

mine was falling off already so i slowly peeled it off while squirting a littte GooGone in there. I did the same for my moms 626.

there are 2 holes behind each of the badges in the rear and 2 holes behind the badge on the grill. mine had LOTS of glue on the "protege" badge, not so much on the others.

i blacked out all the emblems on my black car...i think they turned out pretty well. i'll try to get some pics if anyone is interested.

dmitrik4 said:
there are 2 holes behind each of the badges in the rear and 2 holes behind the badge on the grill. mine had LOTS of glue on the "protege" badge, not so much on the others.

i blacked out all the emblems on my black car...i think they turned out pretty well. i'll try to get some pics if anyone is interested.
Post away.

I just debadged my trunk this last weekend & for now all I have is 3M VHB tape on the inside. I am gonna try to fill the holes & paint it soon though.

wow, how'd this pop back up here? lol

awesome.

i'm sure you can find buyers for that mazdaspeed badge no prob . dunno about the other two =P

Dubes said:
anyone know how to get off the dealer sticker they put on? will the same idea work?

Over her some dealers put an extra badge on the cars that has the dealer logo on them... they actually drill holes on the trunk to place the badge.

I asked for a car without one, and they said "all of our cars have it"... I then said that "ok.. then I will go and get a Toyota"... That was all I had to say to keep them from placing the badge on it.

It's too bad they wanted to drill holes on your car to put that dealer logo ... maybe mine was not glued on properly and just fell off, or someone stole it. Anyway, all i know is that one day, i noticed it was gone =)

My dealer just put a decal logo on the back. I just went out there on a hot day and peeled it off. Then I used some soft soap and water to wash off the sticky stuff. It left no marks. I wish our badges were like the hondas. Their's are just stick ons with no holes. I've never had experience filling holes like that. I would do it, but I don't know how to paint it to match the rest of the car. I want no badges on the back. I'm afraid I would mess it up. Does anyone know how much a paint shop would charge to match my paint and cover the holes?

Latest posts

Back