Tokico/Espelir Installed: Now thud sound coming over small bumps

dd123

:
Mazda protege-5 2002
Guys
Someone in the forum installed me the tokico hp blue and espelir springs on my p5.
Now, I hear the thud sound even on a small bump pointing that something is loose.
Just after the install, we heard the noises and tighten the nut over the struts which resolved the issue but it came back after 100 miles
it is definitely coming from front, need to confirm if it is coming from rear as well

I am a noob and the guy who installed mine is 90 miles away :-(

I can tighten something here and there not deep but otherwise I would need professional help

1) Should I keep driving this car very carefully for sometime before I actually get it fixed ?
2) How can I fix it ?

Thanks

DD

I've had a thud sound with every car that I've lowered. Personally I just think it's the harshness of the suspension.

The springs might need to be reseated in the spring perches.

Also the rear of the P5 needs some washers (about 2 mm thick) under the topnut b/c it sits shorter than the sedan.

I have the espelir/illumina combo and after I installed everything it was fine then not long after there began to be a loud clunk noise coming from the back. I eventually ordered up new strut mounts cause I could feel the play in them. Installed those along with some new endlinks and the noise was still there so I replaced the swaybar bushings and the noise is gone. So check the swaybar cause even if you can move it by hand a little bit, under load it will make a loose noise.

Everything is buttery smooth now. Mine was the rear swaybar but this could apply for the front. You may want to put 1-2 washers under the top nut on all 4 corners so if there is any play in the strut mount it will hopefully be taken up by the washers. This is a little trick that works on the espelir/illumina combo.

I have a sedan but these tips should apply across the board.

The springs as well as struts are brand new

I would drive around little bit and see how does it feel.
When I got my car back, it was good/no noise at all then my friend drove it a bit hard and the thud sound came back...

Last edited:
The springs might need to be reseated in the spring perches.

Also the rear of the P5 needs some washers (about 2 mm thick) under the topnut b/c it sits shorter than the sedan.

Since this issue originally existed just after the install, it was resolved by tightening the nut over the struts, I think I would try using the washer over the nuts and see

Also, to put in the washers, I should not need to lift the car up on jack right ? Simply exposing the strut nut, remove the nut, put in the washer and put back the nut tightly in should be enough right ?
removing rear trim would be pain though..

never bought the washer, where can I buy it cheaply and what is the good size and how many on each struts ?

thanks

Last edited:
Damn, I wish I would've known about the washer trick. Oh well.

How hard is it to replace the front sway bar bushings? I'm gonna put that on my to-do list. Anyone know the size of it?

Also, to put in the washers, I should not need to lift the car up on jack right ? Simply exposing the strut nut, remove the nut, put in the washer and put back the nut tightly in should be enough right ?
removing rear trim would be pain though..

never bought the washer, where can I buy it cheaply and what is the good size and how many on each struts ?

thanks

Yeah you don't need to life the car up otherwise you run the risk of the strut rod dropping out of the mount. You can go to any hardware store and get washers. I wouldn't only do 1-2 thin washers because you don''t want the nut to not be able to tighten all the way down on the threads. Just measure the diameter of the strut rod, i'm thinking it is like .5 inches at most. Im at work so I don't have anything to confirm that.

Remove the top nut for each strut, put the washers on and tighten it back down. I believe you need a crescent wrench to hold that top plate for the back struts.

So you have to do the washers directly on top of the strut mount threads right? Like you couldn't put them over the studs in the engine bay I'm assuming?

I think there might be some confusion.lol the washers are going underneath the nut that holds the strut rod into the strut mount. Not the bolts for the mount itself. it should be easily for all 4 corners, minus removing some panels to get to the mount. try to find a washer that fits the recessed circle on that top plate already so you have a good fitment.

Picture 5.png
**pic is not mine. I just found it on google and its from this forum.**

changing the front swaybar bushings is a PITA. but can be done with dropping the front subframe I believe. Just enough to get in there with a socket to remove the bolts.

I get my swaybar bushings from Energy Suspension. They are great and the formula 5 grease they sell is amazing as well. I recommend both. Rear bushings I get the 3/4"/19mm so when they wear in they still fit snug on the bar. Thus last longer than the standard 20mm bushings which will wear out and sound horrible. I dont recall the front bushing size but I would imagine somewhere around the 25mm range.

Last edited:
Thanks mhrebin for good info.
This should be pretty easy for front and bit painful for back ( trim removal and crescent wrench ) but I would do it sometime today hopefully.

Oh I see. Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you loosen that bolt from the top and install washers that way instead of removing the whole assembly? Since the car is on the ground I don't think un-assembling the suspension would cause issues but I could be wrong.

yeah you can, which is the good thing about this trick. Just remove that top nut and throw the washers on and tighten it back down.

Last edited:
Can anyone else confirm if this is safe or not? I don't want to try it and **** anything up.

it should be fine since the struts are hold in place by mount nuts as well as by the weight of the car,
just remove the center nut for each strut

Meh, I'm iffy on this. I want some confirmation that this isn't dangerous.

But basically I add 2 washers and put the nut back on?

hmmm....did you try tightening the end links? they were always coming loose on my car. a little loctite and no more noise. :)
I had the same set up before my bc's and didnt install that washer, so weird yea. lol

Back