Protege 5 - Best Tires for Winter Driving

Just joined the forum...

I have a 2002 Protege 5 (love the car) with 195 50 R16 tires. Winter has been bad here in Ohio this year.

Any one had good luck with any tires this size in the winter?

Is is possible to go with a 15" or 14" rim to get a better selection of tires (for winter)?

Thanks...

it is possiable to run a 14 inch rim, but you have to get the correct hub bore. i believe if you can find some the eclipse rims (i think like 95 or so) should clear the front and rear disks

Thanks for the info.

I hate to ask this but upon checking the internet, the only reference to "eclipse rims" are for the Mitsubishi Eclipse rims? Is this what you are talking about?

Thanks..

I've had a ton of fun with my 195/55/15 Blizzak LM25s on steel rims. They're a 'performance' snow tire in that they give up a little traction on snow and ice to retain some decent handling characteristics on dry roads. I can push them as far as common sense will allow, so on ramps are still fun in the P5. Ran Kumho ASXs which were decent in the winter when they were new, but pretty poor after two summers of 'spirited' driving. I now have Kumho SPTs for the summer. With all the snow in MN this winter I am extremely happy with the LM25s. The biggest problem is getting pissed that everyone else is driving so slow.

For your viewing pleasure here are some pics of my current set-up for winter driving - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3924465&postcount=19566

The preferred size for 14's on our cars are 185/65/14 but I found that 185/70/14 will fit nicely with no rubbing issues.

I was able to source the steelies from a local junkyard for $100. When looking for wheels in any size 14"-18" remember our bolt pattern is 5x4.5/5x114.3 and the desired hubbore is 67.1mm. The other deciding factor is the offset which will change depending on what size wheel you are looking at.

For 14's you should be good with a +35 offset ('93 Eclipse, what I have) on a 14x5.5 wheel. I'm not really sure what the desired offset for 15's would be.

I went to tire rack and got a package deal from them about 6 year ago, which included steel 15 inch wheels (195-55-15), great set-up.

For Tires, I've ran a few sets in the past (Blizzak WS-50, WS-60, Dunlop DS-1 and 2, Dunlop M3, Michelin X-Ice2, and Dunlop 3D winter sport)

Of all of them, I really like my new Michelin X-Ice 2's. Great ride, lots of hard-pack snow and ice traction, and they dig hard in the deep snow.

I enjoy my 195/55R15's (Nexen Winguard) from my old protege sedan. Just had to mount them on a 5 lug rim rather than the 4 on the sedan.

I live in south central PA and I've been running 195/50 R16 Michelin X-Ices. Haven't had any trouble, actually I've been having alot of fun looking for snow covered back roads. I recommend them, they're a studless ice/snow tire. They're great for winter weather, so you do sacrifice some of handling.

I live in the SW corner of Pa so I get alot of the same weather as you do. I just got my car also and tried running it on Kumho ASX's which didn't work out well. First snowfall (icestorm actually) and a 45 min commute had me scared shitless so I went looking around for some good snow tires. The car came with 15" steelies besides the 16" alloys so I was ahead of the game. I ended up putting Glacier Grip IIs on and they work like a charm. Not great on handling like my summer set, but they are tough to break traction on except by really trying.

I have a set of Dunlop snows since Nov 2006, and have never had any problems. I run Kuhmos for the other 3 seasons and they are ok for the price. I found the tire size very limiting to what choice I could get. I loved my BF Goodrich T/As I had on my '90 civic si.

Canadian here.

I run 195/60/15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi tires. They are AMAZING!!! The Finns definitely know what they are doing.

Canadian too! I have some 185/70R14 Michelin X-Ice on 14x5.5 steelies from an 1995 Eagle Talon.

Fits like a charm! Hub is 67.1, 38 offset and clears the front calipers!

When those tires will be at the end of their life, I will keep the steelies but I'll put some 175/70R14 on them!!! Same michelin, it will slice through everything!

Big sidewall = Nice snow drifting!

Last edited:
Bridgestone Blizzaks

I like the Bridgestone Blizzaks... WS60 15's / steelies on the Protege5, LM25 on the STI

Attachments

• steelies and Blizzacks.jpg
    steelies and Blizzacks.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 02-07-09_-_O'Neil slalom work (2).jpg
    02-07-09_-_O'Neil slalom work (2).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back