New ride: Vt3k content

aMaff

High Speed Low Drag
:
1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder
Well, Ol' Blue's time finally came to be put out to pasture. Believe it or not, it was a really hard decision for me, but in the end the choice was pretty clear.

We had some pretty fun times together, and the car's been really good to me; dead reliable. Never left me on the side of the road once, and thinking about it, I never once got a ticket in that car. Got pulled over a bunch, but never got a ticket. I put 55000 miles on the clock too (sold her with 88,000)... got a lot of seat time. Started autocrossing w/ her too. I hope like hell she goes to a good home. I'll miss her, that's for damn sure.

Anyway, out with the old:
IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

And in with the.... older???? She's an '02 S2000 (AP1), with 55,000 miles. The car runs great, and is an absolute blast to drive. Needs better tires and maybe a bigger front sway bar.

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

you suck. but if you slam it and put some wheels with a nice offset on it then I might forgive you.

you suck. but if you slam it and put some wheels with a nice offset on it then I might forgive you.

Yeah... it's a daily driver. And the stance is plenty aggressive from the factory on these things. Going really any lower starts to get into speed-bump / curb stone problem territory. And I like the stock wheels. I'm actually picking up a new (well, another set I guess is more accurate) this weekend @ Road Atlanta from a guy off of SCCAForums. The ones that came with it have some curbing. Probably going to get some fat fatties put on there tho (Some 245r/225f RS2 Z212s would do nicely). So far, the plan is to swap in a bigger front swaybar if I can find one cheap, and keep her relatively stock. I've still got the Miazda for all my tinkering needs ;)

Did you just trade in the P5? Did you keep any of the aftermarket stuff? Can I have it?

So, you now have three RWD vehicles, two of them two-seaters? You epitomize bachelorhood. I salute and somewhat envy and despise you, sir. ;)

Enjoy it!

Did you just trade in the P5? Did you keep any of the aftermarket stuff? Can I have it?
I did (and managed not to get raped in the process... actually getting up and making it half way to the door walking out generally gets noticed by these guys), but all the aftermarket stuff that I was willing to take off had already been taken off and spoken for. I've got a a single full-sized 17" spare sitting in the garage if you want that...
So, you now have three RWD vehicles, two of them two-seater convertibles? You epitomize bachelorhood. I salute and somewhat envy and despise you, sir. ;)
Thanks. I try ;). And I fixed that to be more technically correct.
Enjoy it!
Roger wilco (idhitit)

Oh, forgot to mention: The 1st 'mod' has already been done. The dealership sticker came off this evening ;). I friggin hate those things.

Love the car, but has any modification been done to the engine. I ask only because one of the reasons I decided not to go with a S2000 after my P5 was this bit of info that is everywhere.

"In case you've been wondering why on earth our first modification to a platform with so many possibilities has been the valvetrain, it's because the 'king of heads' has weak crowns. If you're not into stupid analogies, read: the retainers are crap. The stock springs have a tendency to slowly grind through them, in the end resulting in hung or bent valves, or worse: the need for a new motor."
- Sport Compact Car
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0610sccp_project_honda_s2000/index.html

Just passing along the knowledge. I believe they fixed the issue with later models.

I hope your new ride brings you years of topless happiness! :D

(and some fun driving too!)

Love the car, but has any modification been done to the engine. I ask only because one of the reasons I decided not to go with a S2000 after my P5 was this bit of info that is everywhere.

"In case you've been wondering why on earth our first modification to a platform with so many possibilities has been the valvetrain, it's because the 'king of heads' has weak crowns. If you're not into stupid analogies, read: the retainers are crap. The stock springs have a tendency to slowly grind through them, in the end resulting in hung or bent valves, or worse: the need for a new motor."
- Sport Compact Car
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0610sccp_project_honda_s2000/index.html

Just passing along the knowledge. I believe they fixed the issue with later models.
no, it's bone stock. And from my reading, that was fixed in the '02 refresh, so I should be in the clear. If not, I got an extended 50,000 mile, 4 year warranty tacked on through Honda, so it'll put me clear passed 100k. If I don't blow it up by then, I should be in good shape hahaha

So how about Honda Mall of Georgia just called me wondering if I was still interested in "that vehicle". Since I just bought one yesterday from them, I was slightly confused. Apparently the guy I originally called about the car was off yesterday and didn't get the memo that the car was gone. "Which... vehicle?" I asked. "The one that you called about? The S2000?" "The silver S2000 that's sitting in in my driveway?" "Yeah! That one... wait, you already bought it?" "Yeah... you said just come in and see whoever's there..." "Oh, ok. Well... cool then, thanks for the business!"

It would have been great if he had called while I was driving it.

not bad, you just have to know how to play the game and be ready, at any time, to walk out of there. I made it half way to the door when they offered me peanuts for the P5 lol

not bad, you just have to know how to play the game and be ready, at any time, to walk out of there. I made it half way to the door when they offered me peanuts for the P5 lol

Yes, that is a good strategy.

nope, not a one (unless you consider adjusting the clutch pedal as a mod). I'll have new tires for her hopefully soon here in the new year.

Are you just going to keep it as is for a while or do you have any modding plans?

It's a daily driver. And the stance is plenty aggressive from the factory on these things. Going really any lower starts to get into speed-bump / curb stone problem territory. And I like the stock wheels. I'm actually picking up a new (well, another set I guess is more accurate) this weekend @ Road Atlanta from a guy off of SCCAForums. The ones that came with it have some curbing. Probably going to get some fat fatties put on there tho (Some 245r/225f RS2 Z212s would do nicely). So far, the plan is to swap in a bigger front swaybar if I can find one cheap, and keep her relatively stock. I've still got the Miazda for all my tinkering needs ;)

(dunno)

Back