are the 1.6 engines useless?

kqlasr

hey guys,
after looking on the net, and asking workshops i have found out that there is not much help, or options for the 1.6.
is it really worth the hassle of doing up this engine?
or should i just look into a conversion to something else?
all i have is a full exhaust, extractors and a k&n filter.
i was going to do a cai, but it seems its not worth the hassle now....

hey guys,
after looking on the net, and asking workshops i have found out that there is not much help, or options for the 1.6.

Hey dude, is it a 1.6 ZM-DE engine? This is a real worth the hassle to soup up the engine. Convert into TURBO with stock internals. 1 bar boost can give you 170+ BHP. Anytime can on par with the MSP Protege. (attn)

hey guys,

MODS: Mazdaspeed Drop in Air Fliter, 1 & half inch piping, Lighten flywheel,
16" Work Emotion Rims, OEM MAZDA 4 pot caliper, 2x Bride ZETA III Carbon, Carbon Fiber Bonnet, Boot, fender & 4 Doors. Carbonetic Carbon Clutch Twin Plate. JUN valve retainers, D2 Track Coilover.

For 1.6cc ZM-DE engine Non Turbo. Planning for yr 2009 to be turbo charge.

It depends on what You want. is it useless to build it to be a powerful N/A motor, then almost most definitely unless you have THOUSANDS to spend on it. Simple bolt ons might net you 5hp max. However, from what I have seen a turbocharged ZM-DE will show a significant increase in power and torque. Now this is all from a performance point of view if it is useless. Now what about gas mileage...With a 5-speed you can come close to 40mpg when driven easily. It's a rather strong and reliable motor as long as you maintain it(oil changes, egr valve cleaned, etc..) So really just dont expect much for cheap. If you want a good daily driver car, the 1.6 zm-de is the way to go, you want a car that will run 13sec 1/4 miles for cheap then grab yourself a AWD DSM and throw intake, exhaust, T28 turbo, Stock LSD in the rear, and turn the boost to 18psi. Just dont expect a quick zm-de for under ~7k

kqlasr, the only other thing really would be intake. There isnt much your gonna gain from any of the simple bolt ons on the 1.6

get the 1.5 zl-ve, thats about 130 hp stock, and work from there, i.e. if you wish to keep NA, if its for turbo, then the zm-de is the way to go, light and strong, and loves boost

Anyway, the ZM-DE is a good engine for turbocharging. There was one guy some years ago, THE GOLDPRO, I think it was, that made 186whp and 200+wtq @ 10psi w a small T25. He had a fmu and 3000 GTVR4 injectors w 2" ic piping and a Saab fmic. Nothing fancy, but got the job done. The tough part is that the manifold for the turbo is no longer sold alone, only w a complete turbo kit. Or have someone make one.http://importperformanceparts.net/ sells the kits.
If you want to go N/A, you should swap to a KL series V6. That thing makes 160hp in the US version and 200hp on the Japan variant.

Interesting... I was going to have my manifold custom made but this might work out for me. Gonna have to look them up.

negative the G series transmissions cant not be swapped to the 1.6 with the F series transmissions. Well, actually with enough money you could have a custom bell housing made, but thats A LOT for no gain, both transmissions suffer from weakness.

sucks ass. so i cant do a complete engine/transmission swap.. =\ thougth i could since was the same chasis.. oh well.

oh sorry my bad on the mis understanding from my reading ability haha. I missed the "and engine" yes you can switch the motor and tranny into a 99-00 body, however you will need, engine, tranny, passenger side motor mount, axles, wiring harnesss, ecu intake, exhaust manifold, radiator hoses, and opf course the random hidden things you come across with any swap.

Back