5th gear?

whoisjdm?

:
03 msp ,mica black
now im mad..........very mad.........exteremely mad

so heres the deal i finally get my car started up after finding the bad connection to the starter...i was very pleased to find my msp started up, however after taking for a test drive after the install of my diff. i have found that 5th gear doesnt go into gear around 35 to 45 mph, however it does go into fifth gear while driving very slowly and when the car is off... any solutions before i pull out the transmission again?

Sounds like you might not have enough fluid in the trans., or the slave cylinder needs to be bled. Double check the fluid level, then bleed the slave and see what happens.

Id put my money on not enough fluid in the trans.. If you put it in gear does it pop back out?

well i checked the tranny fluid and it pours out of the fill cap(only let a very small amount out to check it) the problem is this, it will not go into fifth gear whatsoever when shifting from any of the other gears. it will go into 5th at low speeds (10-15 mph), and engage, however it will not go into 5th gear when it needs to ( around 45-50 or so) the problem is i cant get it to go into 5th gear period around cruising speed.

bad synchronizer? idk.. I'm takin a stab. try some old school double clutching and RPM matching?

good call, just got back from driving it, i found that if i go from 4th to 5th, what i haft to do is push the shifter back almost into reverse and slam it into fifth.... im gonna agree with you on that, maybe i just didnt pay enough attention when putting the dog teeth and synchro's back into place :( well im gonna keep working on it. hopefully i can take the reverse housing of the transmission off without removing the tranny (probably hafta lower the transmission to get inside however)

good news however is i fixed the percieved *starter problem* ,turned out to be faulty connection on the positive battery terminal

Yea you can get to 5th gear w/o removing the trans.. Its a pain though and puts stress on your mounts..

score one! haha

that sucks. sounds like quite a headache, but hey... if the car starts, you're making up ground! lol

well it turns out that the guide plate under the differential is just misaligned, the good news however, is that it still shifts into fifth gear, only problem is, its a bit tempermental, so instead of pushing the shift knob all the way to the right to get into fifth , you just haft to push it to the right *a little*
i'll get use to it or end up fixing it, but now im off to get it inspected :)

Does it pop out?

When you say it doesn't go into gear, does it pop out when you release the clutch? or you can't even push the shifter into the position?

Did you go by the factory shop manual when doing your work? If so, it shows the shift collar for 5th going on backwards from the way it should be. In case you suspect this is possible... I posted pics of the wrong and right ways here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123623247 Scroll down and ignore my rant. The pic of the old transmission shows it the right way. The pic of the new tranny shows it reversed. Good luck.

How did you find out that it was the guide plate under the differential? Where exactly is that anyway? did you have to take the tranny out and disassemble it to inspect that?

If the shift collar for 5th was on backwards then it won't stay in 5th at all right? I mean, if the 5th gear was working fine before but all of the sudden started popping out, then it is probably not the shift collar, right?

Back