I can't Get the D$%# Axle out.

ForceFed

:
Trailblazer SS AWD ....Still a Mazda Junkie Though.
I have pulled a few axle's....But for the life of me...the ones in the P5 are just seized.

I had to take the Passenger one out as one unit with the Countershaft...as they would not , in any way even think about seperating.

Now.....we can't get the Drivers to release at the Spindle..or the Tranny.
I have used a pry bar to try to pop them, a dead blow on the Spindle side...soaked it in rust buster, Heated the spindle with a torch....Nothing will make this thing free up...I mean nothing.

I am getting the Ox/Acetylene out tonight and I am going to heat the spindle with this Vs the Mapp gas I was using last night.

I hope this does it..OTher wise I am at a loss.

I am trying not to trash anything here....But At this rate..I might just cut the Axle and deal with it from there replacing whatever is needed.This would only allow me to get the motor out...I would still have to get the parts apart somehow after that.

Any input here guys.

I had the same problem with mine as well, what worked for us was an impact hammer. It did damage the tip of the axle but we filled it down to take the edge of. Be careful and of course use an old axle nut so as not to damage the threads. It will only move a little but spray some wd osomething tighten the axle nut and try again, it will work it's way out slowly.

I had the same problem with mine as well, what worked for us was an impact hammer. It did damage the tip of the axle but we filled it down to take the edge of. Be careful and of course use an old axle nut so as not to damage the threads. It will only move a little but spray some wd osomething tighten the axle nut and try again, it will work it's way out slowly.
We have been doing that..Tightening and loosening trying to get it to budge..It wont move.
Then the second problem is the Tranny side..Its stuck in there as well...I have never seen an axle seized up as this one is.
I am going to try some more heat in a while...We'll see how it goes.

I had this problem and found out I was a big pussy and had my friend do it :(

But for whatever reason... on his Honda he was having trouble and I was able to get that one out.

Try dynomite?

Me and my buddy tried..both..and at once with two prybars on it..No luck..and neither of us are pussies..SO WTH..ITs just a bastard..LOL!!

Careful with the heat. Your wheelbearing won't appreciate that much. I have a tool at the shop that looks kind of like a 3 jaw puller. Use 3 lug nuts to hold the legs then crank down on the threaded center section. Then I beat the s*** out of it with a hammer while turning it in. Once you get it to pop you'll be golden. As suggested below, a strong air hammer with a tip that fits in the hole in the end of the axle may get it to go for you as well. As for the inner, I've had luck popping it from the topside with a long bar. Goodluck!

Well..Man..
I went out to the Garage....I beat on it a bit..hit it with the impact again....Smacked it around and Called it my little *****...and it finally Gave up and broke loose...No heat...Just a bit of Pure concentration....And some good swings of the Hammer.

I even got the other one seperated from the countershaft...It wouldn't budge last night either.

I think the Break and the Rust Buster..Did the trick.

Now if I didnt forget the hooks for the Lift chain..the motor would be out and on the Stand...But no...It'll have to wait one more day while I get hooks or an Engine Tilter tomorrow.

Well..Man..
I went out to the Garage....I beat on it a bit..hit it with the impact again....Smacked it around and Called it my little *****...and it finally Gave up and broke loose...No heat...Just a bit of Pure concentration....And some good swings of the Hammer.

I even got the other one seperated from the countershaft...It wouldn't budge last night either.

I think the Break and the Rust Buster..Did the trick.

Now if I didnt forget the hooks for the Lift chain..the motor would be out and on the Stand...But no...It'll have to wait one more day while I get hooks or an Engine Tilter tomorrow.

you're lucky that yours came out. when I did my passenger side not even 40 tons from a hydraulic press could remove the axle from the spindel..had to spend $500 on all new parts.

you're lucky that yours came out. when I did my passenger side not even 40 tons from a hydraulic press could remove the axle from the spindel..had to spend $500 on all new parts.
That sucks...But thats what I thought I was gonna have to do myself....I just said "The hell with it"...If I am gonna buy new...I'll be damned if I don't try my hardest to get this one out.

I used a pnumatic hammer last time I did one, emptied my 60 gallon compressor about two or three times.

I think you're talking about the axle in the wheel hub? Or the tranny?

For the tranny, you need to pry it, but be forcefull you need to break the little clip that holds it in. (They can NOT be reused!) For the wheel hub, it's a ****! It's a 1 1/4" nut. When you put it back on, smear the flat side (and threads) with anti sieze. Did that last year, and just last weekend they came right off when I pulled the tranny. Remember to bend those tabs out of the way first, and replace the nuts with new ones.

I think you're talking about the axle in the wheel hub? Or the tranny?

For the tranny, you need to pry it, but be forcefull you need to break the little clip that holds it in. (They can NOT be reused!) For the wheel hub, it's a ****! It's a 1 1/4" nut. When you put it back on, smear the flat side (and threads) with anti sieze. Did that last year, and just last weekend they came right off when I pulled the tranny. Remember to bend those tabs out of the way first, and replace the nuts with new ones.

the axle in the wheel hub. both of mine were frozen. with a mallet, impact hammer, and a 5 ton gear puller i eventually broke the driver side loose. i broke the gear puller on the passenger side and could not release the axle from the hub. so i had to remove the entire assembly.

Wierd... Mine just slid out of the hubs with a few gentle taps from the hammer...

Wierd... Mine just slid out of the hubs with a few gentle taps from the hammer...
This makes you lucky...Salt Killed mine..I know thats what did it.
And what clips break?
I saw something in the manual about Clips that need replacing..but I didnt see anthing broken when I pulled mine.

This makes you lucky...Salt Killed mine..I know thats what did it.
And what clips break?
I saw something in the manual about Clips that need replacing..but I didnt see anthing broken when I pulled mine.

The clips that hold the axle into the tranny... Uh oh... Your's didn't stay IN the tranny did they? Change your axle seals too, they need to be done.

The clips that hold the axle into the tranny... Uh oh... Your's didn't stay IN the tranny did they? Change your axle seals too, they need to be done.
Even if they did..the tranny is coing apart in the next week or so for the LSD swap...so no biggie.

I didn't have any issues with the clips the axle came out smooth, once it was out of the hub that is. I guess I was lucky or that I don't live where the weather is bad.

a note to everyone... COAT the splines on the spindle end with that silver anti seize stuff when you reassemble. i can swap axles in about 15 minutes, they slide right out :).

oh and for getting them out of the tranny, prying rarely works well.. you need to hit the end of the prybar with a small sledge. the quick shock will usually pop the circlip loose after just a couple blows. the axles popped right out of my '91 with 181k miles using this method :).

i took them apart when i had the same problem, after 4 motor swaps in my car, lord knows iv done this enough...3 04 bolts that hold the half shaft up on the block, remove those, 17mm i think..remove from thanny and the hub half, them the other comes out much easier.. :)

Back