Need some advice on CEL P2187

speedster00

:
2010 Mazda 3 S
For a few weeks now I have been fighting this issue. My CEL code keeps going on and off. My mechanic tells me its P2187 which is System to lean at idle bank 1. We arent sure what to replace as he isnt finding much info on it. My gas milleage has dropped 25% in the last month. So, could someone help me out before I drop more money in this. Is it the MAF or an O2 sensor???HELP!!

For a few weeks now I have been fighting this issue. My CEL code keeps going on and off. My mechanic tells me its P2187 which is System to lean at idle bank 1. We arent sure what to replace as he isnt finding much info on it. My gas milleage has dropped 25% in the last month. So, could someone help me out before I drop more money in this. Is it the MAF or an O2 sensor???HELP!!

Going to need alot more information.

What kind of car do you own?

Any modifications?

Etc...

DO you have a CAI on it? If you do then what you need to do is remove it, put the stock airbox back on. Make sure you clean the MAF with some electric cleaner, and then Reset the ECU. If the cell comes back on then it's something serious....

Thanks Killer. It is BONE STOCK. The MAF has allready been cleaned during this inspection of the code. When he puts it on the scanner, the MAF itself shows that its functioning properly and sending the right input to the car. But the research I've done so far keeps telling me that it is the MAF. Thats why we cant figure it out.

I found this on another forum, OP had same code as you. His invoice reflected the following:

F0008XDX code P0151, P2187, P2189 replaced purge valve ref.502585
1 L3P9-18-740A valve, Solenoid
F0621XRX R&R purge Valve

Possible purge valve issues. I hope this helps

I found this on another forum, OP had same code as you. His invoice reflected the following:

F0621XRX R&R purge Valve

thanks. I'll pass this on to my mech.

F0621XRX R&R purge Valve

Any ideas if this fixed the problem?

Any ideas if this fixed the problem?
Yes, I believe it did. I found another guy that had the same code as you and his car is an 2.3L I4. The above post was from a 3.0 V6 thread

Since it's against forum rules to link, here is his quote:

Hi all,

The CEL was on last week and dealer told me they replaced "Purge Solenoid Valve" for the error code p0171/p0172/p0441/p0442/p0455/p0456/p2178/p2187/p2188. And now my car is running fine.

I just want to know what's the "Purge solenoid valve"? sorry I am not good at those professional terms and I could not find out the answer from google. and dealer told me the leaking one caused the CEL. So if this purge valve is leaking, what's the bad effect for my car?

Thanks

I am setting off the same code its p2187 all I have done is an cold air intake. but the code clears its self then comes back...

I just had this CEL and brought it in today, it was the purge valve. But they also told me my forge BPV has a bad O ring?

Just replaced my purge valve and installed my new Optima battery today. That should cure the hunting idle, CEL and slow cranking (battery would only hold 11.5v overnight and would drop to 9.5v or less when cranking).

P2187 fix

I have also had this problem, I replaced the intake gasket and the pcv hose, reset the computer, and haven't had any problems since. When you get this code, it is almost always a vacuum leak causing a lean condition.

actually, purge valves are emissions related, but only evap emissions, not federal emissions (pcm, catayltic convertor) most p2187 codes i have diagnosed ending up needing fuel pumps, if the car stumbles when put the floor or hesitates under loads it is probably a fuel pump

Hello my name is Andy I am having the same problem you are having. I have had the 02sensor changed already but it didn"t help. And one mechanic also told me that is was the thermostate that was wrong also. If you get any information on this problem could you please let me know. thank you

Back