MS3 Loose Stabilizer Bar Nut - Clunks from the rear

Rotus8

:
07 MS3
I have had my speed for about a month and have been hearing a clunking noise sometimes from the rear over bumps. I found the jack could move around but I fixed that and the clunk was still there. So I finally jacked it up and crawled underneath today to find the bolt on the stabilizer (anti-roll) bar right side link was completely loose! The nut was half way off the threads, I am surprised it didn't come all the way off - probably would have in a few more miles.

My manual says it should be torqued to 40 ft-lbs, so I try to tighten it and the nut won't tighten up. The threads on the stud are boogered up from banging around in the hole in the stabilizer bar. So I removed the link and had to repair the threads with a thread die. It's all back together now so I think it's cool, I will know for sure next time I drive it up a bumpy road.

Moral of the story - don't ignore clunks from your suspension; get it checked out before it boogers up the threads, or something worse.

Attachments

• P1040415 (Small).JPG
    P1040415 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,288
red6spd said:
Why didn't you go to the dealer ?? That would be a warrenty item.
To take it to the dealer means a 40 mile trip, arranging a loaner, 40 miles again to retrieve the car, probably being without my speed for a few days while they order the part. I have the capability in my own shop and it took me less than 1/2 hour. I'll go to the dealer when something needs doing that costs money or that I can't do.

I think I have the same noise....going to jack it up tomorrow to take a look...same side too.....interesting.

mcopare said:
I think I have the same noise....going to jack it up tomorrow to take a look...same side too.....interesting.
As an update to this, I tightened up the loose nut and it seemed better for a few days but now the clunk is back. I put it up on ramps and looked around but didn't find anything. The nut is still tight and I didn't find anything else loose. It is going to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'll post what they find.

Alright cool....I may have to take a trip to them based on your findings. My tow hook was loose earlier today making some noise but going over some bumps I get that unnerving feeling from the sound in the back. I am sure it is an easy fix. I checked the shock and it seemed fine. I put pressure on top of car and shook it kinda and did not make the noise so only going over 20 mph and bumps.

Yup...looked under the car and the same nut was loose...what is the deal with this car....didn't they do a safety check prior to leaving the factory???

Hmmm...I had a similar issue. Clunking from the rear of the car was noticed after I bought the car. I took it in a week later to get it checked out along with having them check the motor mounts. The rear motor mount was found to be loose as expected and the clunking noise from the rear was listed as a "loose tie rod end". They tightened it to spec and now I'm clunk free.

I definitely don't advise letting clunking noises from the suspension go unchecked. Buzzes and creaks in the interior, perhaps. Clunks from the suspension...not wise. :)

I just got a call from the dealer. They say the link between the stabalizer bar and the suspension arm is bad. It's not in stock so I get to drive their loaner for another day. After the MS3, anything else seems really slow.

Rotus8 said:
I have had my speed for about a month and have been hearing a clunking noise sometimes from the rear over bumps. I found the jack could move around but I fixed that and the clunk was still there. So I finally jacked it up and crawled underneath today to find the bolt on the stabilizer (anti-roll) bar right side link was completely loose! The nut was half way off the threads, I am surprised it didn't come all the way off - probably would have in a few more miles.

My manual says it should be torqued to 40 ft-lbs, so I try to tighten it and the nut won't tighten up. The threads on the stud are boogered up from banging around in the hole in the stabilizer bar. So I removed the link and had to repair the threads with a thread die. It's all back together now so I think it's cool, I will know for sure next time I drive it up a bumpy road.

Moral of the story - don't ignore clunks from your suspension; get it checked out before it boogers up the threads, or something worse.

Rotus8, I would still go to the NHTSA website and report it as a complaint. That is free and can be done from your home. The problem with us not getting a TSB for the mounts, loose items etc. is owners can yell out loud all day long, but until it's documented a certain amount of times, there will never be a TSB or Recall. Did you put locktite on it? (drinks)

M3_Zoom said:
Rotus8, I would still go to the NHTSA website and report it as a complaint. That is free and can be done from your home. The problem with us not getting a TSB for the mounts, loose items etc. is owners can yell out loud all day long, but until it's documented a certain amount of times, there will never be a TSB or Recall. Did you put locktite on it? (drinks)
I'll do the NHTSA thing, I agree it is the way to do.

I did not put loctite on it. There was no locking material on it and the shop manual doesn't call for it. The construction of the bolt should not need it if tightened properly to begin with.

I think it was not correctly torqued at the factory. I drove it for a while before dealing with it partly because I am hard of hearing and wasn't really aware of it until it got really bad. Then I futzed around securing the jack, making sure the spare was locked down, and other stuff like that before actually getting under the car. I expect that with the bolt loose for quite a few miles, the rattling around damaged the link so just tightening it was not sufficient.

Looks like I am taking mine to the dealer, I went over a speed bump today and heard a very uneasy clunking from the front, so I found a couple more to ensure it wasn't a fluke and sure enough, the second the front end comes down, I get a clunk as it sinks, the rear not so much, but it's definitely noticable in the front.

While it's there, which motor mount was the one everyone was having problems with? I will have them check that too. Thanks!

(friday)

The rear mount is the only mount prone to cause serious problems if not taken care of early.

BlackJack said:
The rear mount is the only mount prone to cause serious problems if not taken care of early.
Actually, it is the left mount that causes the big problem.

You can totally remove the rear mount and as long as you don't get on it hard, you can drive it around. If the left mount comes apart, the left side of the motor/tranny package drops six inches and takes out your right side drive shaft and other bad things.

Check out other threads for the real scoop.

Tightened mine when I had my new tires put on today...I cannot believe that bolt backed out so far...

mcopare said:
Tightened mine when I had my new tires put on today...I cannot believe that bolt backed out so far...
I hope you caught it in time. Listen for clunks and if it is still clunky, take it to the dealer to replace the damaged parts.

I can really hear the clunk now, before i just thought it was a fluke. Gonna take a look in the morning, then take a drive to lumberton to have them check it out.

Back