Timing Belt

neptune

I have changed the belt in my MPV but how is it on a PR5? It was a pain but only because the tensioner was trashed. Is the tensioner on a PR5 automatic?

neptune said:
I have changed the belt in my MPV but how is it on a PR5? It was a pain but only because the tensioner was trashed. Is the tensioner on a PR5 automatic?

PR5? This the Mazda 5 Forum. :)

We don't need no stinking timing belts. The 3 and the 5 have timing chains. Which is nice :)

are you talking about the serpentine belt? if so, then yes, the belt has a tensioner on it as do most of the cars made in the past 20 years.
my '01 MPV has two belts, one on the left(as you are standing in front looking at motor) which wasn't too bad to change out and the tiny one on the right side was easily swapped out due to it being 'right there'.
as for timing belts? MPV's don't have them either, they are chained and a shop will charge you close to $2k to swap in out.

why is this in the how-to section when there is no how to. a mod had to move it so what is going on?

Last edited:
Little Bump Here

I've searched the forum pretty well (I think) and never found a specific How-To for a timing belt change. Does anyone know of one.

just got my timing belt replaced and...

(thought)alrighty.. so i'm in a bind and since this a "how to:timing belts" maybe someone can help me....i got my timing belt done few weeks ago and since then while in gear (i have n automatic) either at idle (cars seems to misfire) or more so "stop-go" there's a slight and then on occasion a drawn out hesitation in throttle response. feels more like n ignition problem but when the cars fully warmed up i just have poor throttle response.

-i have a short ram intake for what it's worth..and a code sporadically comes up (check engine light turns on-overdrive light flashes) neutral safety switch

anybody have any insight to my problem i'd be more then grateful!

umm wow so...my bad guy.. just joined this site......thought i was posting a "thread"

...but if you did get done and don't have problems...any chance you know how to help ??

I have a Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5, haven't done the timing belt, and I have a few questions, is this the right forum ?

Back