cold air cone filter

BumbleB33

:
2003 mazda protege LX
I dont have the cash atm to buy a full cold air intake. so I replaced the stock filter with a cold air cone filter and was wondering if it is good or bad for my 2003 mazda protege lx 2.0?

I have a short ram for sale in the Protege marketplace atm. Not sure if you're interested. But as hornsfan said, it will be fine.

It will make it sound a lot throatier, bout it. You wont really gain too much on small things like this; however lost of small things could make one mediumish thing. Just saying... I did the same thing on my P5 with a "high performance filter" from AutoZone. Really did give it a wicked sound since I took out all of the Stock air boxes and components leading to the mass air flow connection. Funny because so many people around here are wannabe "tuners" they think I have a turbo on the car. When I shut it down if you didn't know better it sounds like a turbo spooling down a bit, only a bit though, don't get it confused. lol Also you should check around youtube and watch some of the MCM videos, funny stuff but they actually bust down some myths on "performance parts" and can help you with real decisions to better flow you cash into REAL UPGRADES rather than QUICK upgrades that you can compare to everyone elses cone filter. Think about it, save enough money for like 20 expensive cone filters ($20/ea) and you could easily snatch a set of cams or even a header and exhaust at the same time.

Keep in mind if you got a sticker with the filter and you place it properly on the car that is good for like an additional 15 hp(smoke)

lol i got like 15 sitckers, i have like 600 horse from them ;) lol, i would spend alot more in performance parts but my body of the car needs alot more work. so for right now im leaving it like it is till i can get enough money to get it restored or to buy the mazdaspeed protege.

Yes!!!!!!!!!! Another MCM fan! We are now friends.

Heck yeah, even though MCM can do some corny stuff it usually has real life relevance for most. Them guys are goof balls but that's part of what makes it good to watch. Glad it worked out for you, I literally had a guy swear up and down that I was lying to him about not having a turbo on my car just the other day because of my "Spectre" filter. Some odd reason it causes a cool yet crazy HUFFING sound when shifting gears or reving in neutral. Pretty cool spool down noise too when the car is shut down. Whatever, I wont complain about my "street cred" going up because someone else believes I am turboed LOL

lol i got like 15 sitckers, i have like 600 horse from them ;) lol, i would spend alot more in performance parts but my body of the car needs alot more work. so for right now im leaving it like it is till i can get enough money to get it restored or to buy the mazdaspeed protege.

Well this is the way I see it and this is obviously going to vary user by user because we all have our "drug" of choice; whether it be appearance, engine, handling or whatever. From my stand point when I started doing this stuff when I got my first car at the age of 16 (1988 Dodge Shadow) all I wanted to do was make more speed by bolting crap on or ripping stuff off. When I was 21 and in the Army having butt loads of cash(I was single) I wanted to slam on bolt-ons and a huge turbo (05 Chevy Cobalt brand new off the lot), but I was never getting really technical with it and thought it was "just a thing" that you slap on and go. I spent the next 5 years researching and getting it right but could never afford to get the tuning and ECU because I was buying too much useless small crap and worrying about looks. Since then I no longer have my car and went through a divorce LOL. I am now 30 and have a Protg5 that I have been running for the past two years in which I have spent most of my time paying off(Completely now) and studying what I can do to it. The mods are set to begin and this is what I have learned.... if it is set to be a diehard project where you really want to make power regardless of the "power mark" Start with the ECU and build around and into it. I intend to pick up the Haltech Sport 1000 and go from there. This will be one of if the most expensive SINGLE buy on the build(1200-1500 bucks); thus having it out of the way and freeing up all the other cash I have for pistons, cams, machine work, valves, and blah blah blah. Then connecting my new found PONIES to the ground Via suspension upgrades, Followed up by looks. Granted everyone would prefer to drive a nice looking car but, if I am driving an AWESOME looking slow turd that get beat by a junkie looking Protege5......I still got beat.

My opinion is start at the heart and build out. that way when all is said and done it will just be detail work to make a superfly ride lol. Can ya dig it? Besides it called sleeper lol I have seen some of the crappiest looking car lay the KYBOSH on brand new vettes and Camaros simply because they invested into the function of the vehicle not the looks. Just my thoughts but it makes sense whether you think about it or not.

yes it does make lots of sense but on a college student budget who can beraly afford his car its hard to go performance, but what I plan to do is save up for now and when I get the cash, im going to pick up the msp and drop alot of money into the performance and then build the looks, o am just utterly in love with how the msp looks stock.

so for now I'll keep my lil bee with minor things that I would like abd put the extra cash saved away till the day comes that I can buy my msp and use my lil bee as my winter beater :)

Back