Brake and Power Steering Fluid replacement

icpeanuts

I have my 2010 Mazda5 for 5 years, it is at close to 70K mileage. I went to the mechanic shop today for Oil Change and I told him that My brake feels sticky and weak. The rear brake pad has worn and I replaced it.

I did some searching and have mixed answers, I looked at the brake fluid and it looks very light caramel color. Should I replace it?

I have not replace the Power Steering fluid, should I replace that as well?

Please let me know what I should do. Thanks

Last edited:
Yes on both. With the years on the car and mileage both are due. Have you changed your coolant fluid? If not do it also.

I will change the Coolant fluid. How much does these usually cost?

What else would you recommend changing?

Thanks

Not really sure. I buy the fluids and have my local mechanic do it for me. Any knocking coming from the front or the rear of the car? Those would be the rear and/or front stabilizer bars bushings. You'd probably want those changed.

No knocking yet, but I will look into changing those.

I have no extra money to spend and want to be able to do some of these stuff myself. I think I can replace the Power Steering fluid myself. The brake fluid, maybe a trip to a local pep boys. The Coolant, can I siphon those out and just add new ones or it is better to flush the system?

Go with a flush, it is not that hard. Get the already mixed stuff from Wally world. I changed mine at 88k when my thermostat started acting up. It was quite dirty.

Back