Wife didn't change oil for over 10k...beyond pissed

I've been wanting to get a UOA done forever, just never got around to it. I'd love to hear what they say about Mobil1 0w-30 in my 355K mile Integra engine, on 6-month OCI's.

You can't really blame her THAT much. Shes a girl, probably thinking about manicures and yoga and kittens and stuff. Girls and cars don't mix a lot of the time. How often do you think about laundry detergent or how to french braid hair?

Seems like that dealership should have sent you some kind of notice. We bought a 4runner recently and now the dealership wont shut up with the coupons for free oil changes and tire rotations and s***. They sold you the car and that was the last you heard of them?

Shaaaady. I'd be more pissed at them than her.

Last edited:
Sam, car has already been broken in. It's 14' model with 45k on the clock.
It's way past 10k at 14k miles on the current oil.
It's not so much the fact of her going over more so than her lack of caring about her car. If you car about it, you take care of it. She knows better than do it.
Yeah, my wife never cares about oil life, tire pressure, maintenance, or even how much gas left in her CX-5, she only jumps in and drives away!

Very curious what kind of oil in your engine been used for this long, and how is it performed from UOA after 14,000 miles in a SkyActiv-G 2.5L engine?

In some Asian countries they Cane wives for less than this.
Ha, your information is totally out of date! Now it's opposite in many Asian countries! Many husbands in Shanghai have to do all the houseworks including cooking and taking care of kids after the work and husbands really want to keep wives happy! Basically it's supply and demand. One-child policy for many years in China has caused too many marrying-age men than women!

You can't really blame her THAT much. Shes a girl, probably thinking about manicures and yoga and kittens and stuff. Girls and cars don't mix a lot of the time. How often do you think about laundry detergent or how to french braid hair?

That will get you in trouble with the girls as well!

I never changed oil on my '14 6 until 12-14k. I always used Amsoil with their filter however. So with a quality synthetic-no big deal IMHO.

There is a nice oil life monitor on the vehicle, be a man and teach her to use that, and apologize for being a jerk - it's just a car.

But somehow it's my fault.... oil level never change but I bought a oil lab kit to send to Black Stone. Really curious to see what they say. Going to change the oil today and later next week have the dealership do it.

LOL! I guess you learned a lesson. I don't understand why you would change it this week and again next week. That's goofy. One change gets fresh oil, can't get better than that. If you think the dealer has higher quality oil, just wait another week. *IF*, *IF*, damage has been done, another week won't matter.

LOL! I guess you learned a lesson. I don't understand why you would change it this week and again next week. That's goofy. One change gets fresh oil, can't get better than that. If you think the dealer has higher quality oil, just wait another week. *IF*, *IF*, damage has been done, another week won't matter.
OP's idea is to wash out the possible sludge due to the missed oil change with some ATF. But not sure why he planned to have the dealer doing the second oil change. Could be he has free oil change deal with his Mazda dealer. And we all know dealers use only the cheapest oil they can find mostly in bulk!

Actually, no. Dealerships are on a bulk oil program through the manufacturer and whoever their OE oil supplier is and get a discounted rate and that oil. Yeah, there may be *some* shady dealerships that do something like that, but for the most part, no. There are so many bulls*** audits that dealers are subject to from the manufacturer, it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

OP's idea is to wash out the possible sludge due to the missed oil change with some ATF. But not sure why he planned to have the dealer doing the second oil change. Could be he has free oil change deal with his Mazda dealer. And we all know dealers use only the cheapest oil they can find mostly in bulk!

Correct, free oil changes. However they do use Castorl. I'll end up doing it my self today, local Walmart has Castorl Edge that I'll use. Have bulk of Mazda Oil filters on hand.

Went to drain it and go get oil (we have 3 cars) only to find Advance/Auto didn't have 0W-20 that I was looking for (Castorl Edge). Used Castrol Magnetec and ATF. I'll probably over kill but it puts my mind to ease.

Seems like that dealership should have sent you some kind of notice. We bought a 4runner recently and now the dealership wont shut up with the coupons for free oil changes and tire rotations and s***. They sold you the car and that was the last you heard of them?

Shaaaady. I'd be more pissed at them than her.

She knows better. Even more so after I rebuilt the top end of your Scion. What a POS that car was. She got complacesent and since taking the new job and driving more she knows it's suppose to be change. Wife does tell me we need Laundry Detergent and I pick it up when I'm out. I do know how to braid hair. LOL :)

CX-5. $21K
Good wife. Priceless

A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds.
Proverbs 31:10

Hey at least he didn't put a belt to her. Meanwhile, I reckoned moly ow20 OEM. Tuned engine with 53k redline regular camshafts looks brand new, no gunk in motor. Vales gonna be dirty just by nature of the engine, even a 1000 mi engine had deposits on the valves.
14138140_10157310365035487_6365823630205774690_o.jpg

My next oil change will be after 60k, the end of my power train warranty. I plan to drain at an 8k interval and send it in to Blackstone. Synthetic is tough stuff, unless you did a lot of stop and go in cold weather, I don't think going 10k did any harm.

Back