Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Yeah, that was posted here yesterday.

Hopefully we can get some more insight on how effective the AC is from owners in the heat of summer. This is a big deal for me. Feeling very cool and comfortable, especially in an expensive new car is one of the most important features. Particularly with leather seating, and with no ventilated seats, that AC better be strong enough.

Could this be an affliction of only having 4 cylinders? Is there a correlation between engine size and AC power?

I think AC performance would be a big deal for most people. This is an actual feature that affects all occupants of the vehicle. The only vehicles that can be used as sort of a guide is the Volvo XC90 and the Kia Sorento. Between the 2, Kia only offers a 5-seat configuration for their 2.0T engine, which is maybe a hint. So, the XC90 is the closest vehicle to compare the CX-9 to, in terms of how the AC performs.

Tinting the vehicle does help, and folks in the South like me make this a standard aftermarket upgrade to the vehicle. There's even a clear glass film that can be applied on the windshield to protect from UV rays. It helps a lot with keeping the dashboard cool, and consequently, the car cool.

Steve Hammes always provides an impartial vehicle review, and this CX-9 review is no exception.

[VIDEO=youtube;yg95B0AjNSo]2016 Mazda CX-9 - TestDriveNow.com Review with Steve Hammes[/VIDEO]

Didn't notice that was posted already. As far as AC performance tinting definitely helps. I think we need a little more feedback to see if this is just personal preference or an actual problem.

If anyone noticed, still no backup camera with guide lines. CR also reports shortcomings and they caught the cramped driver ergonomics and the limited seat adjustments. They also panned the infotainment system. No AA or CP is a big thing for the newest design on the block. Too much focus on driving dynamics. Mazda forgot that this is not a miata but a comfortable and luxurious family crossover suv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UigcJd7PVY

Last edited:
If anyone noticed, still no backup camera with guide lines. CR also reports shortcomings and they caught the cramped driver ergonomics and the limited seat adjustments. They also panned the infotainment system. No AA or CP is a big thing for the newest design on the block. Too much focus on driving dynamics. Mazda forgot that this is not a miata but a comfortable and luxurious family sedan

i think this line you said sums it up "Mazda forgot that this is not a miata but a comfortable and luxurious family sedan"

If anyone noticed, still no backup camera with guide lines.
The CR video clearly show back up camera guidelines.

also reports shortcomings and they caught the cramped driver ergonomics and the limited seat adjustments. They also panned the infotainment system. No AA or CP is a big thing for the newest design on the block. Too much focus on driving dynamics. Mazda forgot that this is not a miata but a comfortable and luxurious family crossover suv

And that's the key. The market for people that will buy the CX-9 because of its driving dynamics is very, very small. This from an automaker that already has a pretty small share of the market. Customers in this class are fickle. More will make a purchase decision on the basis of lack of a panoramic sunroof than will on driving dynamics. When I bought my '12, my wife had 2 requirements--whatever we bought had to have a power passenger seat and a power rear hatch--driving dynamics were not part of the equation, other than "gee -- it drove fine" after the test drive.

Last edited:
If anyone noticed, still no backup camera with guide lines.
The CR video clearly show back up camera guidelines.
I believe CrazyBiker is talking about more sophisticate backup camera sysyem with proactive guide lines found on many luxury vehicles. It will draw additional realtime lines referenced by your vehicle's rear-end width and position as well as steering wheel angle to predict your backing up situation against surroundings. The lines you saw in the CR video is just a basic static lines.

Not my shakey video but I do miss the backup camera option on my Infiniti that also shows where car will end up backing up.

I don't have full surround camera...but just the left piece.

ximm

Talks a lot about the 12 speaker Bose which most reviewers have largely ignored. Nice to read some insight on this. Great to hear about another superior feature the CX-9 has over the competition.
Bose 12-speaker audio system in CX-9 is the best Bose system in all Mazda's. But Bose audio system normally lacks heavy bass for those who prefer. Not supporting Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in its infotainment system and no live traffic in GPS have to be big disappointment for many!

Coming soon to the CX-9?

Mazdas G-Vectoring Control: Effective, But Not What Its Name Suggests

AutoGuide's Mazda Will Use its Engines to Make its Cars Handle Better alludes to the software being available on the 2017 Mazda6:

The Mazda6 will be the first vehicle to get this software, as part of its 2017 Model Year changes. Mazda promises that the rest of the Mazda lineup will get this technology too.

And if it's really just software, it'll probably be easy to install and even backport to other vehicles. I'm just hoping that we get Apple Carplay and Android Auto, as well as all the other wishlist features on the CX-9, before this software.

I have no experience nor reference on past Mazda's turbo charged, but this article reminds that older Turbo charged Mazdas had issues with the engine mounts

"Additionally, Mazda’s previous turbocharged offerings haven’t been without flaws. The old Mazdaspeed3 ate motor mounts like they were Doritos."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/new-cars/review-2016-mazda-cx-9-a-family-hauler-with-miata-spirit/article30555772/

I read concerns on other Mazda forums regarding fear because the bad turbo in the old CX7. This new engine is a japan high technology beast. Mazda is giving 6 years of warranty for 250 USD.

Not my shakey video but I do miss the backup camera option on my Infiniti that also shows where car will end up backing up.

I don't have full surround camera...but just the left piece.

ximm

I have the same parking guides in our cheap Nissan Xtrail 2015 (Rogue 2015 in USA)

Bose 12-speaker audio system in CX-9 is the best Bose system in all Mazda's. But Bose audio system normally lacks heavy bass for those who prefer. Not supporting Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in its infotainment system and no live traffic in GPS have to be big disappointment for many!

Actually the new Bose system in the CX9 turbo have plenty of bass. The audio adjustments needs to be setup for bass just in the middle and treble at max. I miss my double EQ from Volvo, but is a good audio.

The launch in Australia is Sunday. I stopped by to see if they had one .. And they did :)
I could sit in it... Waow it looks even nicer in really life than on the photos. The one I saw was red with beige interior (GT). Truly beautiful inside out.

The only thing that disappointed me was the size. It feels much smaller inside than the old model.

Boot space looks much smaller
Leg room looks much smaller
Feels not as wide in back seats 2nd and 3rd row.
When I sit in the 3rd row my head touches the roof.. I am 180cm and have no issue in my 2014my.
Feels super cramped in the back compared to outgoing model.
It's a shame it's one of the element that seduced me against the competition.

A few photos below.
3aad02c517a234d9391cbfac37709aa8.jpg
a3737a1c078ef3eda2323771a5788e33.jpg
b12ebf2bdac039f6804ba42911f1c8fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back