What have you done to your MSP today?

I had one of those, too. 3.0L. Converter failures are common. And don't ignore it. If you do, the EGR system will suck catalyst material back through the intake and kill the engine. That's how I got the 6 for cheap from the original owner. And ignition coils are also a common failure on those. Not a huge deal to R&R unless it's the rear ones. Even then it's fairly easy to pull the plenum off to get access to the rear ones.

Dam bro, youve owned every Mazda practically. lol But thanks for the advice. Out of the MSP and Mazda6 s which do you prefer based on reliability, design, and longevity?

Dam bro, youve owned every Mazda practically. lol But thanks for the advice. Out of the MSP and Mazda6 s which do you prefer based on reliability, design, and longevity?
Just a P5, MSP, RX8 and a 6S. Though, the next daily will be a CX7 I believe. Need more room for the kiddos. I liked the 6S. The MSP and 6 are two completely different cars that I don't feel comfortable comparing. The 6 just had Ford written all over it- You can tell there was a lot drawn from Ford on the car. The 6 was a great car to drive. Awesome for long drives. I drove it on a 2,400 mile trip last summer to the Keys and back averaging 90mph I still got 24mpg out of it and rode nice. It's heavy. It surprised me to find out it's curb weight is close to 3,800lb. if I remember right.

Just a P5, MSP, RX8 and a 6S. Though, the next daily will be a CX7 I believe. Need more room for the kiddos. I liked the 6S. The MSP and 6 are two completely different cars that I don't feel comfortable comparing. The 6 just had Ford written all over it- You can tell there was a lot drawn from Ford on the car. The 6 was a great car to drive. Awesome for long drives. I drove it on a 2,400 mile trip last summer to the Keys and back averaging 90mph I still got 24mpg out of it and rode nice. It's heavy. It surprised me to find out it's curb weight is close to 3,800lb. if I remember right.

I would agree it's hard to compare them. Completely different cars for completely different buyers. The 6 is great for a DD, more space, decent on gas & power and handles good for all it's weight. We all know the MSP is just light, quick and fun to drive. For reliability I'd give a slight edge to the 6 but if you're looking at a first gen 6 it's still 6-10ish years old so it's kinda a wash.

If you can't have both, it really comes down to do you need more space in your car?

Well, we have two 6S's, 5-door and the wagon! They are are DD's and of course the MSP and the MS3. Overall the 6's have held up well and they were builton the same line as the Mustangs in Flat Rock, MI. They've held up well and it is nice to have a wagon wit a manual.......

Well, we have two 6S's, 5-door and the wagon! They are are DD's and of course the MSP and the MS3. Overall the 6's have held up well and they were builton the same line as the Mustangs in Flat Rock, MI. They've held up well and it is nice to have a wagon wit a manual.......

+ a billion.

I am picking up my second MSP tomorrow after work...

It's a titanium with MB weapons, a corksport exhaust, tein S-techs, ebay fmic, and the zoom-zoom-boom mod. To be restored and returned to the road in honor of all the MSPs that did not earn the same fate.

Its really a shame to scrap them for something as inexpensive as an fsde heh.

I am picking up my second MSP tomorrow after work...

It's a titanium with MB weapons, a corksport exhaust, tein S-techs, ebay fmic, and the zoom-zoom-boom mod. To be restored and returned to the road in honor of all the MSPs that did not earn the same fate.

#Salute

Well I have everything on order to rebuild and forge the MSP. I finally figured out where the oil consumption issue that caused it to run out of oil and damage a bearing was. The valve guides on the #2 cylinder were bad and wasn't allowing the valve stem seals to keep oil from leaking through. Going with Arias pistons, .020" over in the 4032 alloy, with K1 rods and Clevite bearings. Mains were OK, but the #4 rod bearing is what let go, so the crank will have to be ground for oversized rod bearings.

2 lock nuts for the gear sets, 2 bearings for each side of the diff, the ring gear if yours is damaged and an ARP bolt set to attach the ring gear to the diff. Silicone to reseal the case.

I installed the bronze MB weapons on my first MSP and the back right tire rubs like crazy over bumps despite being a 215/45 17 stock size. The +43 offset didn't seem excessive but the RR fender rubs bad. Need to roll the fenders and swap the struts and springs so I can adjust the alignment and camber the wheel in. Also installed the Corksport muffler and I like the sound of it, nice and deep and not too loud but definitely different. Exhaust setup is: Stock S pipe, 2.5" catless J/mid pipe, stock resonator and catback, CS muffler/axleback. May remove the resonator and install the CS pipe but I imagine that will be far too loud for my taste.
The brand new Michelin Pilot sport AS3s on the new wheels sure are nice though.

K1 rods came today. I don't have pics yet, but they look like they'll take more abuse than I'll ever give them.

Back