Strut mount question

mazdarichie

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Just got the P5 back on the road. I have replaced all kinds of suspension parts. Everything was wore out! I bought this back in November and it has had a rough life. The strut mounts are all clunking pretty good. My question is: How difficult is it to change all four top mounts? Can I change them with the struts in the car or do I need to pull them out to do it? Also, does anybody have a preference as to brands to use? I have been looking at KYB replacements.
Thanks.

I kept seeing that the KYB mounts kind of sucked....quality control seemed all over. I ended up using Monroes, because Rock Auto and Moog do not list part numbers for the front, only the back.

You do need to tear the strut down to change the mount. If the mount is worn, there's a good chance the struts are too.

With all the work and time, I always prefer to toss strut assemblies on.

You're gonna have to pull 'em to swap 'em.
STOCK is the brand to get. I speak from experience. It's kind of a b****/time consumer to replace, so do it once. I agree with MrGiggles about the struts too, why not do it all at once and put that s*** behind you?

Tokico Blue strut/Racing Beat spring combo is about as close to stock MSP suspension as you can get. :)

Thanks for the input. This is going to be my daughters first car. Just trying to get all the suspension bugs ironed out. I don't mind doing the work. Thanks.

The rears are very easy to do. Yes, you have to remove the strut assembly.

Can't speak for the front because I've never done them.

Don't preemptively replace parts unless you replace them with quality parts. Putting on lifetime warranty parts from useless, garbage stores like Advance Auto, Autozone, and Orielly's just Guarantees failure. Some factory parts will outlast the vehicle. I would rather have an OEM part with 120,000 miles on it than a part from one of these stupid stores.

If the struts or other parts are in fact broken that is another story.

Back