TPMS question on the 2015.

:
Mazda5 2015 GS
I'm new here, but was a long time user on other brands of car I've had in the last years...

I've searched here, Googled it, and asked my dealer...
Unfortunately I get conflicting info whether or not my Mazda 5 2015 will need TPMS sensors installed on the wheels next winter to keep it's light off.

-Dealer says not anymore on the 2015, it uses the ABS sensors like the CX-5
-Online forums show me a metal stem on all Mazda OEM and Aftermarket sensor / My car has what looks like plain old rubber stems.
-Owner manual still has the chapter about programming new sensors, and specifiying they are mounted on the wheels.

Any tricks on identifying what I really have on my car?

If needed, I'm willing to buy used one on ebay... but not after I've already had my tires mounted on new steel wheels.
Knowing before would be really helpful as I would provide 4 used one at time of installation if needed

Mario

Last edited:
FWIW, Tire Rack still wants to sell you TPMS sensors for a 2015 model.

My advice would be to ask the shop where you're buying the winter setup to interrogate the sensors in your wheels. You might look a little dumb if the technician takes the tool to the wheel and it can't see a sensor, but at least you'll know.

That might be the best way to know for sure...

I'll try to ask the place I've bought a set of tire last month (other car)... since I'd rather know in advance now and buy used sensors instead of new ones.

Thanks for the idea!

Unless you need to get your car inspected during the winter, what's the difference whether the winter rims have TPMS or not? You won't pass inspection with the dummy light on is all. Since Mazda isn't putting any more effort into the Mazda5 I find it hard to believe they'd change up the TPMS sensors for what may be it's final model year. I bet you have TPMS in the rims.

The dealer is correct there are no sensors but I believe the winter rims and tires must be the same dimensions as stock to not throw a light.

Unless you need to get your car inspected during the winter, what's the difference whether the winter rims have TPMS or not? You won't pass inspection with the dummy light on is all. Since Mazda isn't putting any more effort into the Mazda5 I find it hard to believe they'd change up the TPMS sensors for what may be it's final model year. I bet you have TPMS in the rims.

No inspections here, but I'm a bit OCD about warning lights on my dash ;-) Can't stand them, especially on a new car.

The dealer is correct there are no sensors but I believe the winter rims and tires must be the same dimensions as stock to not throw a light.

That's the plan I had, only I'll be using steelies instead. So I should be OK then.
I guess they forgot to edit the manual from MY 2014 -> 2015.

Thanks!

your mostly right. if you have rubber stems then the veh. uses abs speed sensor system. which is called the indirect tpms system. if you have metal stems then you still have the direct system with sensors in the wheels which would need swapping over. to keep light off you have to be within 5 percent of rolling diameter size of originals. there is some give and tolerance. we upgrade wheels here at the dealer so we have to see the rolling diameter sizes. every dealer and shop should know the size you need to stay with in spec of your tpms and keep the light off. so if winters...usually smaller wheels with more side wall. but if you put your stock setup to the new setup should be real close to the same height. you can do your self with a tape measure and chalk. mark a full rotation of your tire on the ground with old and new setup and then measure the rolling distance. say the tire travels 3 ft or whatever with a 360 degree roll. then new setup is 3ft 1 in. you would still ok. because it is less then 5 percent difference.

Or, you know, just swap the wheels out and do the reset procedure (I believe it consists of holding the button for five seconds) whether the system throws a light or not.

I'm a bit confused, here in the states the 2015 still uses the wheel mounted sensors. I've confirmed this in person and in the Mazda service manual. I find it hard to believe they would change it for the Canadian market. Do you have a tpms reset switch on the dash, Mario?
20150507_122611.jpg

Last edited:
Canadian models do not have TPMS.

When you start your car and turn the key before cranking, is there a tpms icon lit?
300px-TPMS_warning_icon.svg.png

You will not find one a Canadian Mazda 5.

I'll comfirm tomorrow for the light, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it. Honestly, not having TPMS at all wouldn't be a problem. Just one less thing to go wrong on my car.

'12 to '14 have sensors with metal stems, as I've tried to find a good used one before settling on a new one.

As for the TPMS reset button, there is none to be found like the one on the CX-5.

Well, I just confirmed on my car and you were right. There is no TPMS at all on my car.

I also just reread my notes on the used '13 I had inspected at a used car dealer, and the mechanic had seen that they were not original wheels for a 5. Might have been wheels from a 3.

Thanks from all your help, winter wheel shopping just got easier that way!

Back