2009 Mazda5 Clutch replacement questions

Hello, I'm looking to replace my clutch and a friend of mine is telling me that the new clutch needs to be soaked in oil before it's installed. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what kind of oil and how long does it need to soak? All I've seen on the internet is soaking for motorcycle clutches.

Thanks in advance

That sounds like a terrible idea. I'm assuming that you're referring to the clutch between the engine and the transmission on a manual trans van, not a band clutch for an automatic transmission, right?

If so (your van is manual), they are meant to be installed dry, and typically have all sorts of warnings about not contaminating the surface with oils, lubricants etc, otherwise the clutch will slip when in use. Motorcycles are different, and their clutches are bathed in oil and designed for it (typically more surface area and sometimes more clamping load to make up for the reduction in friction), but manual-trans car clutches are dry.

Thank you topFC, and thank you Mazda forum. Yes, it's a manual transmission. I thought it sounded crazy, but my friend does tinker a lot on cars and is a bit of a know it all. In this case, I can't wait to tell him that he's full of boloney. It's an awful lot of work to replace the clutch and I just wanted to be doubly sure.

Thanks again

Back