Factory Subwoofer VS Aftermarket (help me decide)

Hi guys...i am having a hard time deciding on which option to go with. I have a chance to pick up a factory sub from an 03 from the junk yard including wire harness and the plastic inside the trunk for real cheap. I read the posts about installing a factory sub on a P5 that never came with one. My questions are is it even worth the time and money to try and install this factory sub? I dont want a overkill system...just something to fill the lower end with a lil thump.

The aftermarket alternative would be a 8 or 10 inch sub that has a amp built it in which would cost between $100-$130. Please share your thoughts and concerns and help me decide. I would prefer not to lose trunk space.

in my opinion, i wouldn't waste my time or money with the factory spare tire sub. it is nice to have for factory, but with the option of a sub and built in amp for $100-130, i would stick with that.
like you said, it won't be overkill, but the external sub will sound more full. on the negative side, you will lose trunk space with the box it is in.

Definately go with aftermarket, will almost always sound better. There are a few options to add a sub in these cars without losing much space. you have to be a little handy and be able to think outside the box. Many people have built a fiberglass enclosure into the little cubby on the left, you could give up the spare and build the enclosure in there, or do what I did and build an enclosure into the headliner....no space lost at all. there is room under the seats for an amp as long as it's not too big.

Get a real sub IMO, not that bass tube crap. A 100w amp and 8" sub should be plenty for you. The stock setup is a joke

You won't find a factory sub that will compete with the aftermarket offerings, and you won't find an aftermarket sub that fits as well as the OEM without a ton of work.

You can make a sweet fiberglass enclosure to use as little space as possible, but that takes a lot of time and money.

aftermarket for sure. i did not need trunk space so i put a 12 inch in a ported box just mounted to the floor in the trunk and have a door speaker amp mounted to the rear seat

+1 more for aftermarket. The stock one just rattles. Wayyy back in the day, I put an Infinity Basslink in the back of my P5. It sounded great, was easy to install, and lasted for years until I sold it. For all I know it's still working fine 10 years later. It did NOT bump the neighbors, take up much space, win any SPL battles or look overly blingy. Your rear spoiler is gonna rattle no matter what you choose, so some Dynamat might be a good idea too. :)

Here's an old pic of the basslink. You can tell how old the picture is by the hanger brakes on the Cannondale. (rofl2)
3358830020_large.jpg

Last edited:
Back