What have you done to your MSP today?

Pictures speak louder than words.

No time for pixxorz!!!

I just need to install the radiator and charge piping and I'll be done for now. And the EGR pipe I extended for my eBay manifold needs to be replaced with one of my other OE EGR tubes. And I need to remove one of the fans from my Mishimoto because it's dead. Realistically, I've got an hour of work besides the EGR. I don't have any open end wrenches larger than a 22mm at the house, so I couldn't do it last night.

Bought an extra low profile jack today. Been wanting one for quite some time now so I finally got one that was on sale for $130. Cleaned up the garage a bit so now I have more room around the msp to do things. Also started to take off body panels.

Gonna try to sit down next week and see what's the extent of the rust. Hopefully I won't need to be welding in new metal anywhere.

Anyone have luck rustproofing with por15?

The car is 100% assembled and running, however..... It will NOT run in boost. Idles great, spools up fine, but the second it goes from static 0 to +1psi it falls on it's face... I've held it to the floor ignoring the violent jerking only to make it to just 7psi for a split second... Other than that, everything is good. No leaks. Nothing.

So, it's running absolutely perfect this morning. Even untuned and 39 degrees it's doing well... Not sure what the deal was last night, because I haven't changed anything... I'm going to drive it for the next couple of days before I deliver it to my friend to use while I'm replacing the engine in her WRX.

You wanna.talk worthwhile... I got my msp when it was 5 years old. Paid $14000 cdn for it with no mods lol. Keeping it til it rusts apart.

Heh, ill have mine till its dust in the wind.Rolled it off the lot with 7km on the odometer. Brand new. Then methodically broke every part i could upgrade till i friend the motor. Now rebuilt around 240,000+kms and still modding/rotting. Its not a great looking car, but thats only cuz its the body's turn to finally get some money thrown at it. Its just keeps going.

The water pump failed in 1345 last week so I had to tear the motor down and replace it but it has been running GREAT otherwise. I had two passengers in the car and ran a stock first gen MS3 from a dig (with a really good driver) and we were dead even until about 110 when the extra hp and 5psi of boost kept pulling the 3 and the MSP's little T25 runs out of steam. Just rolled 161k miles, original drivetrain and turbo.

Seats are starting to develope a tiny bit of mold. I'm gonna have to virex the whole thing and stick an electric heater in there this winter so it doesn't rott.

Workin on p5 today. Installing hid relay, replacment fogs, filling passenger motor mount, cutting out heat shields. Fun times.

Car is finished for now. Still needs tires and a clutch. But otherwise drivable.

Car is finished for now. Still needs tires and a clutch. But otherwise drivable.

I took care of a few small things that I've been putting off or needing to button up. Picked up some ES radiator brackets so my Mishimoto isn't held in by a single bent OE radiator bracket. Polished my radiator and intercooler piping. Painted my valve cover. Installed new plugs, coils and wires. Installed a new battery.

The only issue I'm having with the car other than running an OE tune is my charge piping keeps blowing off. It happened 5 or 6 times yesterday. It's happening on one of the couplers that has never had an issue. I collected a large amount of oil from that charge pipe from my failed turbo, so I cleaned out as much as possible, cleaned the piping and couplers with parts cleaner, liberally sprayed hairspray onto it, reassembled, tightened by hand and let it site for 20-30 minutes, idled it for another 20, verified the clamps were tight, drove it and blew a coupler off at 14psi... Cleaned it again last night, reinstalled it and it's been fine...

Also, I installed my AWR transmission mount... Holy s***... The car is 10 times louder now. I wish that passenger AWR had been intact on that wrecked car I picked last week so I'd have all the AWRs. Actually, I am only assuming the transmission mount I got was an AWR. The steel is painted the same gray as my others, but the polyurethane is black instead of red. I've seen black AWRs before, but unsure. Is it a different duro, perhaps?

Also, I installed my AWR transmission mount... Holy s***... The car is 10 times louder now. I wish that passenger AWR had been intact on that wrecked car I picked last week so I'd have all the AWRs. Actually, I am only assuming the transmission mount I got was an AWR. The steel is painted the same gray as my others, but the polyurethane is black instead of red. I've seen black AWRs before, but unsure. Is it a different duro, perhaps?
My pass side AWR has a black bushing, I believe it's 70 duro.

if you are looking for a cheap stock replacement this is the clutch i bought.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

That's a deal since it includes the pilot and throwout bearing and even the alignment tool. But it's listed for the regular Pro and the Speeds have a beefier clutch. May not be an issue but with a modded car it could slip.

Last edited:
Saw a spicy last night (bone stock), but unfortunately didn't make any new Mazdaspeed buddies. This one had a car seat so it may be female driven, always nice to see a spicy though. Even if the paint was a little faded.

And shoot I still haven't posted any pics of my new 2nd MSP:
Here it is on my stock wheels with the tein S techs and stock rear springs.

Well, there's your problem:

This rod end/cap was just sitting on the steering rack in the engine bay. Zoom Zoom BOOOOMM

That's a deal since it includes the pilot and throwout bearing and even the alignment tool. But it's listed for the regular Pro and the Speeds have a beefier clutch. May not be an issue but with a modded car it could slip.
I'd agree. I don't think with 25psi, even open diff, that clutch would hold.

Also, picked up a carbon hood from a local MSP buddy of mine for the cheapness. Going to sand and clear it this weekend hopefully.

Last edited:
If I successfully refinish the hood, I think I'll get a CF deck lid, too. That way I can go wingless without paint/body work.

Just picked up a yellow MSP today, gotta pick it up paid $1k broken diff, so going to figure out what to do with it next. Pretty excited always wanted and MSP

Back