Sunroof as requested.

Redkills

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport.
I had the Webasto Hollandia 700 sunroof installed aftermarket.
Here are some pictures. It has multiple settings that you can program. It goes into the car rather than over it.
When it's fully open a small wind shield will pop up on the front.
It auto closes when the car is off after 3 secs, if you want to keep it open simply hit any of the buttons.
It will not close if something is blocking it's way.

The total cost of the sunroof+labor was 1150.00 here in oregon by Coach Auto.

It has a cover that you can pull close if you don't want to see the roof.
WP_000373.jpg

Here's the 5 button controls, "1 & 2" can be any setting, "c" is just fully close
Photo_08C2075B-77B7-78FC-F16D-25311D7CE4CA-1.jpg

Slight open in the back
WP_000375.jpg

Fully open with the visor up.
WP_000376.jpg

closed which is flush with the car and one can't even tell it was done aftermarket.
WP_000374.jpg

now that's intriguing... Any idea how much weight the whole package added?

did you notice any change in driving dynamics? with the added weight and the compromised roof rigidity, i'd worry it compromised the 2's go-kart-ness. On the other hand, coming from a Miata and an RX8 with a moonroof before that... it'd be nice to have some sun coming in.

Also, how does it affect headroom?

this is one of the ONLY things that i missed from my last car to my M2... and at only 1200$ its something i could Deffinatley go after! ill have to ask around and get some quotes from auto shops here in town, thanks for the post!

now that's intriguing... Any idea how much weight the whole package added?

did you notice any change in driving dynamics? with the added weight and the compromised roof rigidity, i'd worry it compromised the 2's go-kart-ness. On the other hand, coming from a Miata and an RX8 with a moonroof before that... it'd be nice to have some sun coming in.

Also, how does it affect headroom?

Absolutely no change in hard driving or hard cornering.
The full thing weighs less than 20lbs so it's not a huge add of weight. It doesn't change the head room either, this sunroof is designed to fit perfectly without changing the actually width of the roof in fact I feel like there's MORE headroom because it's not so enclosed.
I also found that having a black M2 with Tint I do need extra light at times so that comes in very handy.

What about drainage? Factory roofs like this have drain channels that usually come down the A pillar and drain behind the front wheels. How do they get around that with this, or is the seal so tight that it's not an issue?

Yeah they got a hardcore seal that goes around the whole thing in like 5 layers. It's def a tight seal, Which is VERY important to me since I live in Oregon which rains 345 days out of the year.

Damn. That's a clean install. Given that I'd feel hard-pressed to find a quality installer in my town, I'd consider taking a cross-country trip. I'll save up like $5K and hit up Corksport and Good-win while I'm out there. Drive it out there stock, and drive it home with new wheels/tires, corksport exhaust, coil-overs and a sunroof.

Now THAT's a vacation.

i've always wanted a sun/moonroof thats a great install...i've always heard horror stories about aftermarket kits leaking after 1-2 years though so i'm a little weary about it...price is definately nice though

Well I'll see in a couple of years if it leaks or not :p Lucky for me it came with a lifetime warrenty!

FYI All!
Webasto is an OEM supplier for companies like VW, Audi, Daimler, etc.
They are also a manufacturer of retractable hard-tops like the VW Eos, Audi TT, MX-5.

If drains are installed, make sure they are kept clean. If seals deteriorate like in 5-10 years, just replace in kind and life is good.

They occasionally have recalls on their designs but you can easily find this information on the NHTSA web-site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectmonthlyreports.cfm

Enjoy the Moon/Sun-Roof!

Webasto makes some really nice kits. I was checking out their stuff at the SEMA show.

-Derrick

Honestly, sunroof is something I really couldn't care less about. Had it in couple of my cars -- opened them probably a dozen times in about 10 years of ownership.

Wonder what people use those things for?

Honestly, sunroof is something I really couldn't care less about. Had it in couple of my cars -- opened them probably a dozen times in about 10 years of ownership.

Wonder what people use those things for?

I've had a couple cars with them. The only thing I really used mine for is when the car was really hot, I could pop it open at the back and it'd vent the hot air out way faster than just opening the windows. I've always liked sunroofs in theory, but it seems like every time I try to open one in a car that has it, the sun is right overhead and blinding me through it.

They are kinda nice on a warm summer night in the mountains, though.

Before I quit smoking, I used the one in my 325is when the driver's side window switch was broken, lol.

I see. Yes, that's the problem -- number of times it feels right to use the sunroof (not too cold, not too hot, no sun overhead -- typically it'd be nice spring night) is kind of limited, and then you forget to open it.

For smoking it's also not very convenient -- ash and embers falling back on your head :)

Back