Questions about P5/MSP differences

I'm researching the process of swapping an MSP turbo kit on my 02 P5, and had a few questions about the differences between the NA and turbo cars. These are some of the things that I couldn't find by searching.

1. IS the entire fuel system the same on both cars? I know injectors are the same, how about the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator?

2. Does the MSP use a boost control solenoid like a lot of other factory turbo cars? Or is it just straight wastegate pressure?

3. If I use the MSP ECU, do I have to change out anything at all to avoid a check engine light - emissions, EGR, O2 sensors, etc?

Basically I'm trying to put together a kit for my P5 and I know all the mechanical bits (turbo, exhaust, IC, oil/coolant lines), and just need to figure out the tuning. I would prefer to use the MSP ECU, and nothing else aside from a boost and wideband O2 to monitor things. I want to avoid things like the 10:1 FMU, voltage clamp, split second AFC, etc.

And before anyone says anything, I'll be fine with the stock boost level (7-8psi) making about 160-170whp. This is just a daily driver, I'm not looking to be making crazy power with it. I've got experience with turbo cars (had a WRX, and have a 1G big turbo DSM), I'm just unfamiliar with how this particular kit works.

hey buudddy, im in the same boat you are, im getting a kit this friday its basically a msp turbo kit.

i can answer one question for ya, as to the fuel system.
i called mazda had them check the part numbers on the fuel pumps for the p5/msp, there are the exact same part, the fuel delivery system is the same.

as for boost controll i BELIEVE its just wastgate/ecu

then as for cel's idk, im gonna call around protege garage/mazda etc for some answers ill keep yo posted if i find out anything, let me know if you discover anyting too, as i am doing this in a matter of days ill let you know little things/misc things needed for this setup...

If your going to use the msp ecu, you really should think about the ss afc.The msp ecu sucks and if you want your daily driver to run smooth you need the afc to tune around mazdas hack job of an ecu.

The reason why I'm leaning towards an MSP ECU is to avoid the hassles of other aftermarket parts on it. So even at stock boost levels, is the MSP ECU that bad?

I guess I should go drive a Mazdaspeed in person and see for myself how it runs.

there have been other people on the forums to swap the MSP kit into their P5, they'd probably be the best people to ask. talk to 1fastmp5 - he did it a long time ago.

speed5hornet is right about the fuel system being identical. not sure about the other two questions.

Back