Wife didn't change oil for over 10k...beyond pissed

I'm curious to see. My 16.5 has 5015 miles on it, and the dip stick was right at the low level. I've had mine a little over 6 months, and the service department told me to bring it in at 5000 or a year. I took mine in today, and I was going to take in on Friday originally. You all are saying 10k miles is ok, and, in my case, 5500-6000 miles my engine would have been cooked. I'm thinking the 95 degree weather for most of the summer, stop and go traffic, and the fact that I have a 4 mile commute to work had a say in why it is low, but I'm having dealer check everything on the vehicle to be safe. I deal with fleet vehicles everyday for work, and oil changes are done at a minimum of 5000 miles ranging up to 12000 miles or 4, 6, or 12 months interval). I planned to do 5000 or 6 months because of tire rotation, but i might bump it up to 4 months.

I'm curious to see. My 16.5 has 5015 miles on it, and the dip stick was right at the low level. I've had mine a little over 6 months, and the service department told me to bring it in at 5000 or a year. I took mine in today, and I was going to take in on Friday originally. You all are saying 10k miles is ok, and, in my case, 5500-6000 miles my engine would have been cooked. I'm thinking the 95 degree weather for most of the summer, stop and go traffic, and the fact that I have a 4 mile commute to work had a say in why it is low, but I'm having dealer check everything on the vehicle to be safe. I deal with fleet vehicles everyday for work, and oil changes are done at a minimum of 5000 miles ranging up to 12000 miles or 4, 6, or 12 months interval). I planned to do 5000 or 6 months because of tire rotation, but i might bump it up to 4 months.
Just turn on your oil life monitor and use Flexible Maintenance on oil change interval. Then you can either follow the flexible OCI which can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months, or change the oil anytime you want. This also keeps your warranty intact if you ever need it. Mazda moly oil recommended by Mazda is required when you use Flexible Maintenance for accurate calculation.

It's been proven that Mazda uses moly oil as the factory fill; and the Mazda moly can easily last 7,500 miles or more according many people's UOA. And you have to ask to get Mazda moly oil when you change the oil at Mazda dealers, otherwise the cheapest bulk oil would be used.

Just turn on your oil life monitor and use Flexible Maintenance on oil change interval. Then you can either follow the flexible OCI which can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months, or change the oil anytime you want. This also keeps your warranty intact if you ever need it. Mazda moly oil recommended by Mazda is required when you use Flexible Maintenance for accurate calculation.

It's been proven that Mazda uses moly oil as the factory fill; and the Mazda moly can easily last 7,500 miles or more according many people's UOA. And you have to ask to get Mazda moly oil when you change the oil at Mazda dealers, otherwise the cheapest bulk oil would be used.

10K oci is definitely do-able.

Check out my recent UOA with just almost 8k miles here.

10k isn't anything unreasonable for synthetic. I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic and go 9k before oil changes, as per Black Stones suggestion when I sent in my sample after 7500 miles.

How fast did the oil go down? Did you ever happen to check the oil between delivery and now?

I have noticed that Mazda does not bring the oil level up to the Full mark when vehicle arrives at dealer.

Every CX5 I have checked after delivery, which is over 4 now between myself and family, has been delivered with the oil level 1/3rd to 1/2 qt above the "LOW".

I have noticed that Mazda does not bring the oil level up to the Full mark when vehicle arrives at dealer.
Every CX5 I have checked after delivery, which is over 4 now between myself and family, has been delivered with the oil level 1/3rd to 1/2 qt above the "LOW".
I noticed this too when we bought our new CX-5. In fact, I went back to my Mazda dealer checking several brand new CX-5's in the dealer's lot when I found out our new CX-5 has oil level about ⅓ lower than the full mark on the dipstick. Like you said they all low on oil level!

This may be another way of cost cutting by Mazda as the factory-fill moly oil is expensive?!

How fast did the oil go down? Did you ever happen to check the oil between delivery and now?

I think they need to put in a different dipstick to reflect the true full oil level in engine. This is the first vehicle I have ever had that spec fill amounts don't equate to a the top line on dipstick.

Back